Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Drill press stand?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Drill press stand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 AM
OkieRCGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drill press stand?

I have been looking around for a bench top stand that uses an electric hand drill and turns it into a drill press. Several years ago, they were everywhere, now they seem to be extinct. Does anyone know of anyone who sells them? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
OkieRCGuy

Default RE: Drill press stand?

Okay, I found some.  It always helps to do a web search when you enter the correct item!  [:@]
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The little chinese drill presses are getting fairly cheap now, It is hardly worth getting the conversion ones.  I see them all the time at garage sales, the conversion ones and the real ones.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The conversion ones are not nearly as precise as even the cheap presses, and a cheap 5 speed table top press from Harbor Freight is only $69.99 and it works great. The only issue I have is on the high speed setting you have to help it start, but once it gets going it does'nt bog down.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

The conversion ones are not nearly as precise as even the cheap presses, and a cheap 5 speed table top press from Harbor Freight is only $69.99 and it works great. The only issue I have is on the high speed setting you have to help it start, but once it gets going it does'nt bog down.

Agreed, also if it is not designed for your particular drill, forget about it. keep an eye on craiglist.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 it's not worth it. They aren't around anymore precisely because they don't work very well.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 PM
OkieRCGuy

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  I guess i forgot to take my anti-senile pill today!  
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Garage sales and Craigs List or Kijiji are great places for tools.  I bought new scroll saws drill presses sanders, then went to garage sales and pick them up for $20.  I got 3 drill presses a band saw and two scroll saws now for the price of one new tool.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 AM
mikeh251

There are drill press stands for holding Dremel tools also. This may be for smaller scale than you are looking for, but it looks like a nice addition for a modellers workshop.