Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

neat tip from an old timer

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

neat tip from an old timer

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neat tip from an old timer

Thought I would share this tip I got from an old timer at the field the other day.

When building from a kit you have to punch out the parts from the balsa or plywood parts frames. Try not to break apart the framing sheeting around the parts as you punch them out. Even if you have to do a little cutting to free the parts, try to keep the parts sheet intact. Save all the left over wood and put it back into the box the kit came from.

Why?

Later if you would like to build another one of that particular model, all you have to do is use the parts sheets (with the parts now missing) to trace the parts onto your new balsa or ply sheeting.

I have built planes from scratch using a set of plans and thought ,WOW, this would have saved allot of time.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: neat tip from an old timer

With as many years as I've been building there would be no way for me to store the remains of all the die cut sheets. My solution has always been to trace the parts on the back of the plans. That way I have the templates with the plans and they don't cost me any extra storage space.

Then I use tracing paper to copy the template when I need to use it. A little Scotch double stick tape puts the tracing paper template on the wood and I can cut out the part. How recently have I done this? I just got finished tracing some parts about 5 minutes ago for a repair that I'm working on.

Dave
Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbacque

With as many years as I've been building there would be no way for me to store the remains of all the die cut sheets. My solution has always been to trace the parts on the back of the plans. That way I have the templates with the plans and they don't cost me any extra storage space.

Then I use tracing paper to copy the template when I need to use it. A little Scotch double stick tape puts the tracing paper template on the wood and I can cut out the part. How recently have I done this? I just got finished tracing some parts about 5 minutes ago for a repair that I'm working on.

Dave
Dave,
That's one of those ideas that is so obvious, so simple, and so elegant, that when you hear it, you end up feeling bit like an idiot for not thinking of it yourself! I'll be doing this from now on!

Al

Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have two kits that I did just that. Wishing I still  had the box of parts from the CG Cub I built many years ago. I have the manual and plans, but tossed the scrap when I moved.
Im actually considering building another LT40 for a friend of mine. He likes flying mine. He lost his Cub a while back when a tree reached up and snagged it from the sky. His other planes need a lot of work to get back into flying condition and his equipment is all old and dated, so he needs new batteries for the planes, and needs to get the TX sent in and refurbished, most are corroded from sitting.  He would enjoy having it.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
crossman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to lay the scraps in a scanner and save an image file of them. It would be helpful to put a ruler in with them to keep the scale accurate.