Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rattle Can Painting Advice

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rattle Can Painting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle Can Painting Advice

When you guys use rattle can paint on a hard surface do you sand the color coat tosmooth the usual "orange peel" surface and then clear coat? Or do you shoot the clear, then sand and buff????
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Rattle Can Painting Advice

What kind of paint are you using?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
RAMFlyer

Rustoleum Engine Enamel...
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 AM
James c harrell

Just painting my first wing with Rustoleum too. I have tried both and have had better results if I wet sand the base coat with some 1000 just enough to dull the gloss and take the top off the orange peel. I have been told this will help the clear stick as well. I was doing the clear to seal the stickers and trim in and keep them from peeling up. Have had pros and cons suggested on doing that as well. My problem with the Rustoleum is whether the clear is fuel proof. From the tests I have done it isn't but cure time may affect that. Time will tell. Are you using Rustoleum clear as well?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There should not be any orange peel to have to sand off. You are doing something wrong if you are getting orange peel.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Orange peel is usually caused by not enough paint being applied.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

When painting anything, it's always better to fix things early rather than late. Starting with the surface itself, get it as flat as possible before adding filler, then get the filler as flat as possible before adding primer. Don't depend on the next step to fix problems with the previous one. So here, you'd definitely want to sand the orange peel flat before adding the clear coat, because there's no way you'll put a thick enough coat of clear on there to fill it in.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
RAMFlyer

James Yes I will be using Rustoleum Enamel Clear over the color coat to keep things consistant.

I'm going to shoot a stab in the next week or so, depending upon the weather, and see how things go. Based upon testing I have already done I need to let the color coats cure for a week before clear coating or the clear will make the sharp edges of the color run slightly.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
James c harrell

PM me and let me know how it goes. I have to wait for my sticker man to finish up a few things and I will be doing my clear as well. I haven't decided what clear to go with but have been told that Rustoleum is definately not fuelproof. I have a piece that I sprayed for a test drying now and will try it out in a week or so.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM
RAMFlyer

Since I am worried about kerosene proof I think the Rustoleum I'm using won't be a problem. If I was using an alcohol/nitro fuel I would use Lustercoat clear over the Rustoleum, after the color had cured forthree tofour weeks, based upon what I have read in my searches on fuel resistance. The enamel takes much longer to cure for overcoating than does the lacquer.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 AM
James c harrell

I looked at the lustercoat and if it will go over enamel I would use it but my LHS couldn't tell me whether it would or not. Just said to test it. Have you ever used it on top of Rustoleum? I didn't use engine enamel just the regular gloss enamel.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:17 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Orange peel is usually caused by not enough paint being applied."

The only time I have had that problem was when I tried to apply the second coat, before the first coat has set up sufficiently. The new droplets of atomized paint formed impressions in the first coat.

Les
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM
jester_s1

I did a test panel a while back with Rustoleum blue with Lustercote. The enamel had cured for a week and the Lustercote bubbled up pretty badly on top of it. I didn't bother with trying to apply it super light because I wanted to see if there would be a reaction between the solvent in the lacquer and the enamel paint. More curing time may have made a difference, and I'm sure spraying it very lightly and letting it flash off quickly would have helped. But I saw that it is at least possible for the Lustercote clear to attack the enamel, which was enough for me not to want to use it.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

If you are going to use a rattle can buy one of those handles with a trigger that goes over the top of the spary can button.
Makes it so much nicer to use them rather then always useing your one finger to press the can button down.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Roby

Whenever I use a rattle can to spray anything. I always put it into a bucket of very hot water for 10 minutes
prior to spraying. It seems to make the paint flow better.

Regards,
Roby
Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
halfmoa

ORIGINAL: Roby

Whenever I use a rattle can to spray anything. I always put it into a bucket of very hot water for 10 minutes

Regards,
Roby
That's a really, really good idea!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe me. The rustoleum clear, both satin and gloss, are not fuel proof. The fuel will soften the clear and it turns to a dirty look. I was using only 5% nitro fuel.

The Aeromaster below is all rustoleum spray can. I used the regular rustoleum. The colors I used are fuel proof. I sprayed the fin with rustoleum gloss clear to protect the decals. The leading edge of the fin looks like I never clean it because of the dirty look the clear gets. Luckly I did not clear coat the entire Aeromaster.

Ralph White
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70967.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	1796234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76523.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	1796235  
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM
James c harrell

Ralph, you said the regular red rustoleum IS fuel-proof? Maybe I should leave the clear off of mine. I am using all Red on mine.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM
prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: halfmoa

ORIGINAL: Roby

Regards,
Roby
That's a really, really good idea!
Yes, good idea. However, it is a risk to increase the internal pressure in the container without knowing how much pressure the container withstands.

Remember, SAFETY FIRST.

Pedro
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes James,

The red, blue and white colors I used were all regular rustoleum spray cans. I think the cans are all white, nothing fancy looking. I can't remember what the numbers on the colors are but I posted them on another thread on this same subject. I don't have the time at this moment but I will look the numbers up later and post them here if I find them.

The colors I used are fuel proof to the fuel I use which is Powermaster 5% nitro, 22% oil. I believe they would also be fuel proof to higher nitro fuels but have not used above 10% nitro fuel.

Ralph
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
RAMFlyer

Any more advice as to when to sand if I develop orange peel? Just to get this thread back on topic, I am using engine enamel and will be burning kerosene so I know in my case it will be "fuel proof!" That was never the original question...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
jester_s1

Ah, removing orange peel. After the paint is well cured, lightly wet sand it with 400 grit and then 800 grit. Use a flexible sanding block like a sponge so that you're making it flat instead of digging in, and use a light touch. It's going to be a tedious process but the orange peel can be removed. Once you're done, clean and clean again before spraying the either a second coat that hopefully won't orange peel or a clear coat.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"It's going to be a tedious process but the orange peel can be removed."

After wet sanding, dry the surface, and look for any "shiny" spots. These are depressions in the paint that have NOT been sanded out.

Les
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM
jester_s1

Thanks for pointing that out. That's the tedious part, because the difference between doing a good job and cutting through to the primer is only a few good swipes with the paper.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:10 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Thanks for pointing that out. That's the tedious part, because the difference between doing a good job and cutting through to the primer is only a few good swipes with the paper. "

Don't feel too bad. I botched the paint job on my wife's Pinto, and had to do the whole car.

Les

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.