Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Need a Good Spray Gun

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Need a Good Spray Gun

Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a Good Spray Gun

Ok I am getting ready to start painitng my 1/5 scale BT Spitfire and I looking for a good sraygun. I bought a cheap touch up gun ($15) but I think I need a better quality one. It is the siphon type, not an HVLP type. When I use it the paint finish is sometimes rough like 400 grit sand paper. When spraying with Latex I thinned it water to a 50/50 ratio. I did not use a a gauge at the gun but relied on the pressure gauge at the tank. My pressure when spraying was around 35-40 psi. Here are my air compressor details:

2.5 HP Electric Motor
125 psi max
10 Gal tank
5.1 SCFM @ 40 psi
4.2 SCFM @ 90 psi

I plan on using Latex paint for the Spit but it would be nice to get a gun that can do other paints too. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanx, Mark
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Need a Good Spray Gun

I use a valve similar to this right at the gun, http://www.lemmer.com/contents/en-us/p255.html

I dial the tank down to about 50, then fine tune with the valve at the gun. Try it you'll see the difference, much more control of flow even with a cheap HVLP touch up gun

good luck
Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I have used several Airgunsa spray guns for aprx 3 decades. Changed to a SATA (German made) Minijet 3000B HVLP with a 1,0mm nozzle this summer...and what a difference!!!!!!

My compressor is 35 years old, 0,5hp, Max 8bar pressure (use 2 bar with the SATA spray gun) with a 25 lit tank.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jan you're cheating.. sata's and iwata w400 gravity feed cost way more than fifteen bucks even tho the basic set up re needle and gun set up for a particular thinned ratio remains constant.Scale only is right in that YOU have to experiment,it takes time to get comfortable and slow down a bit,think.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

OK guys, here is the best gun for your money. http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...gun-66222.html They have JUST reduced their prices on this spray gun. It is what's called a "Conversion gun" because it isn't a true HVLP. When you're spraying over about 7 PSI it is NOT considered low pressure. Watch the video and pay attention. Pat gives a lot of advice in a short amount of time. Use an inline pressure regulator/water separator at the compressor and a disposable water separator at the gun itself. He shows a closeup of the nozzle. Look at the ring of very small holes around the tip. This surrounds the paint as you're spraying and cuts down the overspray tremendously.

Granted, it's not $15 but for a few bucks more you can save paint, overspray, and time shopping. I spray this gun at 25 PSI in our video and we have sold hundreds over the years and only one complaint. He sprayed epoxy paint, did not clean the gun, NONE, not at all and complained that it wouldn't work the next day. Well duh...

Be very careful when purchasing a conversion HVLP gun. Some are being sold as HVLP that are not even close but they are cheap. Look for that ring of tiny holes around the tip. Step up to the counter and open your wallet a little wider and be much happier.

Here is a description of the gun: http://www.stits.com/store/product316.html I have to charge a little more for the gun right now but check with Harbor Freight and you may find it cheaper. I researched this gun and started selling it about 15 years ago and as I said we have had (sadly ) one complaint. We sell it to the full scale restorers and modelers.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Yeah!
The Sata was bought on German e-Bay and cost me around $ 343.00 ...but what a spray gun!!
Any body wanting some Airgunsa spray guns??
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have one of these, and used it to paint a car. Finish came out great and was easy to setup and use.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundep...GFG-670-STD-CS
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 AM
mark IX

Chip, thanx for the info. I checked out your recommended gun. The price is right but unfortunately my compressor will noy be able to keep up with the flow requirements (12 SCFM). My compressor details are listed in my original post above, and changing to a larger compressor is not an option.

Mark
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Mark, You might like this one and your compressor sounds like it will keep up with it.

I picked up a few of these for spraying epoxy with the intent of just throwing them away rather than mess around with cleaning them. Dis-assembly and clean-up was so easy I returned the extras. This sprayer was easy to master does a good job and is really affordable.

Scale Only's tip is a good thing to consider as well. So much more precise and convenient to have the regulator at the point of use instead of at the point of delivery. Prevents line surge and the big "splat" of paint when you first pull trigger sometimes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...gun-66871.html
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM
mark IX

Frets 24, this looks like the exact one I bought............. I have have been having inconsistent results with it however. I will have to try it with Scale Ones recommendation, the pressure gauge out at the gun.. I noticed in the reviews of this gun you have, it was mentioned about pressure surging which is what I have experienced. Have you ever tried spraying Latex with it?

Thanx, Mark
Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
scale only 4 me

I use a similar gun from Home depot,, Husky brand, Had to retire the Harbor Freight one I used for years, the valve I have is a Binks part #73-157, A buddy gave it to me over 15 years ago

Latex is the hardest material to spray,, viscosity is everything,, once you get that and the presure right, you'll get good results
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65767.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1798143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27246.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1798144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51124.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1798145  
Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: mark IX
... When I use it the paint finish is sometimes rough like 400 grit sand paper. ...
The sand paper result means your air vent is plugged. Bore it out with a 1/16" drill bit. I have experienced this firsthand.

Kurt
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM
frets24

Yes, I have sprayed latex with it and I can only echo Scale Only's remarks...It's all a balance between how much water to thin it down with and dialing in the PSI.

IIRC I thinned at 2pts latex:1pt water. Open the metering adjustment 3/4 to 9/10 and start dialing up the PSI from 25 or 30 until you get a good coat and pattern. At the low psi it comes out in small splats and will get finer and more consistant as the PSI is increased. Spray pattern will even out and give a consistant wet coat and when the PSI is raised too high the pattern will open up and the spray will just be a cloud going everywhere.

Being able to hold the gun on a target(board or piece of cardboard box...in my case the shop door) with the trigger pulled and having the ability to adjust PSI right there helps alot.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

It's a mixed bag of info above.If you thin the material correctly you can use the small touch up guns above down to 15psi and have fine atomization at the tip.With some practice you can look from the side while spraying and watch it float on nicely.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 AM
scale only 4 me

I found cutting the latex with denatured alcohol worked best for me,, I could thin it a little more before it started to bead and it would evaporate/dry faster than plain water.

This was my first full latex project, just this year,, I was a K&B epoxy guy for years,, I'm sold on Latex now
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10852874/tm.htm

The painted planes in my Gallery were done with the cheap harbor freight gun, trim usually with my airbrush to minimize waste,, Point is an airbrush is a must have tool also in my book

good luck
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I have used both. Painted motorcycles, cars, and my model airplanes.

You really want the spray to cover (wet out) a broad surface, so you have the minimum number of overlapping passes. The spray at the outer limits of the spray WILL dry faster than the center (wet) portion, and NOT flow out, the way you would like. The right gun for the job is necessary. If you can paint the whole surface in one pass, that is great, but seldom achievable.

Les
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
mark IX

I took Scale Only's advice and bought the press gage and reg valve to be attached at the gun. Can't wait to try that out. Also, Bozrath, thanx for the advice about the vent hole. I will keep my eye on that too. Stay tuned..........

Mark
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hi Les i'd like to see how big a gun and fan you would need to go down the side of a car or across a bonnet for that matter in one pass..just kidding.There is a lot of discussion about guns and less about spraying technique.As a rule of thumb you want about 30% overlap on each pass,i use more like 50% and build the film coat up gradually.It can be a difficult thing to explain but the more passes you do at a slightly reduced material flow setting gives you a far more controlled finish re wetness and coat thickness.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

LOL

"across a bonnet"

I saw that, and had to go back and check to see where in this world that came from:-)))))))))) I do recognize it though; I used to be pretty deep into British sport cars.

As far as techniques, I will second that. You can have the best equipment available, and like everything else, If you don't know how to use it, it is pretty worthless.

Les
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Moggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spray with latex on every plane I build. I cut it with windshield wiper solution, it has alcohol in it and acts like a detergent as well. I spray with a auto touch up gun (cheapo) so it isn't the gun it's the set up. You have to get the viscosity right as well as adjusting the paint to air. I use a piece of cardboard to test and once it is where I want it I can spray the whole plane. Go to Roy Vaillencourts website, he has a whole tutorial on painting with latex. Latex sprays wet (it picks up a lot of moisture in the air) so spray in dry conditions and you can use a heat gun to accelerate the drying process. My next build will be a BT Spit Mk I. Best

Moggy
Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Grizzly has a pretty good selection of spray guns, but doesn't appear they have a "rating" system which I kind of like to see before purchase. [:@]

Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Rudolph Hart

That may be because you will be the only "rated" person using it
Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Grizzly has a pretty good selection of spray guns, but doesn't appear they have a "rating" system which I kind of like to see before purchase. "

What type of rating are you looking for. Good, bad, indifferent; or application specific?

Les
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

A ratings system.  You know like, "I bought this piece of junk and it fell apart on me" or "this gun is not adjustable" or whatever.  I give it 3 stars or 5 stars.  Most online vendors have a ratings system and while that is certainly not the only thing I look at, if something has 2 stars and nothing but complaints listed about it, I'm not going to buy it.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Most online vendors have a ratings system "

I cannot imagine how many vendors are really going to post negative reviews of THEIR products. The competitions, maybe.

Les

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.