Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Respirator for CA allergy

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Respirator for CA allergy

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Frag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respirator for CA allergy

Is it just me or what? Seems lately like I wake up with a nose full, sneezing and all after an evening of building (using ca). I'm thinking of getting a respirator to see if it helps. Is anyone else using one?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:41 PM
BillHarris

Default RE: Respirator for CA allergy

I have a respirator that helps with CA vapors (I disremember the manufacturer), but I've found it as effective to have a small fan at the workbench to blow the CA fumes away.

--Bill
Old 09-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Mike in DC

Why take chances? I use a respirator, have a fan blow across the workbench, avoid thin CA when possible, plus limit my time in the workshop. The respirator I use is the "R51A chemical cartridge for organic vapors" from AOSafety. Got it at Home Depot. I can't swear it's providing absolute protection, but I can't smell the CA, and since I've started using it I don't get the cold symptoms I used to get the next day.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:10 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I too use a respirator with ORGANIC VAPOR filter on it. I am HIGHLY allergic to CA. HOWEVER, the last couple of days I have tried some ZAP CA and did a few drops without my mask on, NO PROBLEMS so far. I do not and WILL not go without my mask on a regular basis, but I for some stupid reason just wanted to see what if....
Old 09-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Frag

I feel better about it now...I'm going tomorrow to get one from Home Depot....at least now I know its most likely the vapors and not the ragweed!
Thanks guys
Old 09-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odorless CA should not be a problem for your nose. Your wallet may not like it though.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:48 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

All it takes is one whiff for me to be affected. I usually start feeling the effects of the lglue the next morning. I've found that if I take an allergy pill at the first sign of symptoms and it usually takes care of the problem. I still try to use a respirator when I buold. But there are times when you 'just need to tack this one piece down' and the mask gets left on the bench..
Old 09-17-2003, 06:37 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Do not mess around with ca fumes. They are dangerous. The manufacturers,
unfortunately ((I believe it's called the desire to make a buck at the consumers
expense), do not stress this enough. Many builders live and breath ca fumes. Some are affected, some are not. If you use this product frequently, at the very
least, ventilate your working area or use the appropriate mask.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:07 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, a mask is the ticket. There are several good manufacturers out there. 3m, North, MSA. All of them make organic vapor cartridges for their masks. If, for some strange reason, your local hardware store does not have what you need, check Lab Safety Supply.

http://www.labsafety.com/home.htm
Old 09-18-2003, 10:30 AM
RobStagis

I've found a couple of ways to cope:

Use Elmer's Wood Glue
Use epoxy
Use Sigment
Fan blowing across the bench
Use 'kicker'. For me, this works pretty well. It sets off the CA so fast that the fumes don't hang around.

Most drastic: Assembled and elastic-banded a Goldberg Cub, handed it and a bottle of CA to the wife and sent her outside.....where the fuse sat until it had all cured.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:22 AM
Woody 51

What a great way to get the wife involved.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:32 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chemist out there that knows what exactly is in ca fumes ?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:09 AM
parabellum

CA?

any how,
I heard people who deals with natural lacquar (kinda like poison oak sap) gets allergic reaction from it
but after handling it for years, they get "habituation" and no longer bothered by
them.

would this apply to CA?

any way.

allergy medications (antihistamine?) do work.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
BD8-FAN

CA is out for me.[:'(] I tried them all including oderless. One drop of this stuff bans me from my workshop for hours. Went back to GP Aliphatic resin glue. Takes longer but at least, I can stay in the workshop watching the glue setup....
Old 03-12-2004, 04:46 PM
mikehannah

Hi
And while you are out shopping for a filter mask please get one suitable for Balsa dust as well.
Many modellers are happily making clouds of the stuff. In reality alot of the stuff we produce as a by product of our hobby is not good for us and many modellers are walking time bombs.

Mike
Old 03-13-2004, 01:26 AM
parabellum

I have 3M half face respirator, and I don't smell the CA anymore, but still get allergic reaction.

my eyes burn a little during the work and I get runny nose afterward, even though I did not smell any CA, and I suspect the fume that enters my eye is triggering allergic reaction.

may be full face mask (that looks like gas mask) may be the only option.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:30 AM
parabellum

Would skin contact also trigger allergic reaction?
I'm not talking about rashes, but respiratory reactions.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:05 AM
EHFAI

I too have a severe allergy to CA fumes. A VOC mask doesn't help, nor does working outside upwind with a mask and fan! So - I avoid CA in favor of other adhesives for the most part. In the few cases (installing hinges for example) where CA is the adhesive of choice, I work outdoors with a fan and a remote supply air mask (use same for painting) supplied by an air blower some 50 feet upwind (Hobbyair system avalable from Sears). It's a half mask, and yes - eye exposure to the fumes will cause a reaction, abiet milder than inhalation. Hence goggles and the fan. (Hobbyair offers a full mask, better choice.)

The post regarding balsa dust is right on also. A dust mask is good. I've connected all power cutting / sanding equipment to a large (2hp) woodworking shop dust collector. Hand sanding is done over a "dust box" consisting of a 1 x 4 frame with a perfboard top that's connected to the dust collector with a 4" hose. Other than the cost and time to set up - this system is great. Not only does it protect ones lungs but the shop stays clean as well.

Earl