Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tissue Covering Please Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tissue Covering Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Fxguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tissue Covering Please Help!

I am working on a Guillows Cesna 150 balsa kit that is going to be rubber band powered at first until I can do a conversion. The kit come with tissue paper for covering and I can't for the life of me figure out how to work with it!I covered my Aero Lectric with Monokote which was easy enough to figure out, but the tissue / dope just doesnt seem to be working. I've cut the dry tissue to size to start with the bottom of the wing. Next I've mixed Aerogloss Metallic blue dope with Aerogloss thinner in a 1:1 mixture. I've brushed a thin layer of the dope on the bottom of the wing, then laid the tissue over it, then I've pulled it taught and applied a layer of thinner followed by a layer of dope. I then let it dry but after it dries the tisse comes right off. I can't seem to get it to adhere and stay glued to the wing. What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Tim

Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Tissue Covering Please Help!

I like to use a mixture of wood glue and water 50/50. Brush it on, stick the tissue on, let it dry, lightly spray with water, and use a hairdryer to shrink. You can go over it with the color aero gloss you want. That method works great.
Ed
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Redback

Way back you used to be able to get (at least in the UK where I grew up) a product called tissue paste that you used to stick the tissue to the frame.

Thinned down wood glue would probably be similar.

Used to pin down wings to a board after doping to avoid warps.

Terry
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Hi there,

Go to youtube and run "tissued covering wings" several good videos. Also www.hippockets.com will give you a lot of suggestions. It's not hard to learn but you have to learn how to do it right or you'll be pulling your hair out. I've seen a lot of builders give up. You'll find that there's many different ways of doing it and you'll have to find one that fits you.

Good luck and hang in there.

Rick Oh, www.easybuildtmodels.com has a ton of info.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Fxguy

Thanks all for the help. I tried the 50/50 wood glue and water and it worked really well. Then used an airbrush to dampen the tissue with 70%Isopropyl Alcohol. Then used a heat gun to dry. Stretched out great. Now my only question is..... how do you repair a hole in the tissue?In my attempts to try the other methods I dampened the tissue to much and ended up with a small hole in it. Any ideas?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

best is to use a razor knife and cut to the closest rib, spar, etc. and cut a piece to replace the one you removed. you might be able to just patch it, but the water based will soften it up too much to get a nice tightly shrunk patch.
ED
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It's very easy!
You brush on dope (Cellulose laquer) on the balsa stringers several times and let it dry between times.Then you place the wett issue on the stringer frame! Do not forget to spray water on the paper before you place it on top of the wing /fuselage!!! You fasten the tissue to the stringers by brushinng aceton on the wet tissue surface. The aceton will get through the wet paper and will loosen up the underlaying dope on the stringers which will let the paper adhere to the balsa stringers. Let it dry for some hours untill the tissue surface is tight and dry. Then brush on dope on the whole surface. The dope will now shrink the papper even more...Apply as many layers of dope you like untill it's ready for paint.
Ofcourse you sand it and use a "tack-rag"before you apply any paint!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

I have built many stick and tissue planes over the past 30 years and the method that works best for me is to cut the tissue into small pieces (seams over the framework) and use a glue stick from the school supply isle at Walmart. It's perfectly sticky and hold the tissue into place perfectly and dries fast, mist lightly and let it dry on it's own, no heat.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Here ya go, Elmers white glue cut 50% with water brushed onto the frame work. Put silkspan on wet or dry, but dry is easier, onto the framework & apply the mixture around the edges only. Let dry. If any wrinkles, dampen the silkspan & let dry. Been doing it this way for years. Use sand paper on the edges to trim silkspan.....Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47711.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1828115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76913.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1828116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72778.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.6 KB