Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tips for removing covering?

Here is what I found when recovering one of mine. Works very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcS_i...909B8&index=14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heat gun and take your time its a hobby not a job.
    keep your powder dry and pray the creeks dont rise.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As others have said, heat gun to soften the glue and peel. Any residual paint peel can be removed with 120 or finer grit sandpaper or a cotton ball and denatured alcohol.

I still have loads of older rolls of monokote so I am partial to that but the newer rolls don't seem to stick as well. Where I ran out of the older MK rolls I went with Ultrakote... great stuff.

Don
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also +1 on Fabric.
    keep your powder dry and pray the creeks dont rise.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I finally got around to doing the full recover job with Ultracoat that I mentioned 8 weeks ago. The project plane is a restoration of a 120 size Carl Goldberg Tiger. It was badly fuel soaked (worse than I knew), with both main gears torn out, all kinds of broken wing ribs and wing tips, and lots of questionable glue joints (it's an old ARF), hardware from hell, etc. I agreed to do it for a fellow club member as a "favor". Boy did I "step in it"!!! But, all of the bad stuff is behind me now and it's looking real nice. I finished the application of the Ultracoat today and hit it with the heat gun and iron to shrink it up and see what I got. Yes, I am now an Ultracoat fan. It went on well and shrunk up super nice and even the less than perfect wing tip wrinkles tightened up and disappeared. The main sections of the airframe are done with white and orange Ultracoat in sort of a T-28 Trojan fax military style. A small amount of black towerkote in front of the canopy and green monocrap in the cockpit area finish it off, but 95% of the airplane is Ultracoat and I am pleased with the results (I know the owner will be too). Tomorrow I will reinstall the landing gear add the stars and bars and other trim details, and get it on it's feet for the full visual reward at the end of an sometimes trying project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12