Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tips to make you a Better Pilot:

Every plane I ever flew has been a trainer.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sensei

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

This thread almost turned into a ''who can land in the wind the best'' session, or I can pee farther than you can.

Some key things that helped me so much during my learning to be a better pilot was:

1. Do as much research as you can and learn as much as possible.

2. Choose what you really want to do as each person's advice is usually based on their ''style'' of flying and may not be acurate.

3. Don't take one person's advice over the rest until you have proven it to be the best advice in your situation.

4. Make sure you have a well balanced and mechanically trimmed out airplane, then get all radio trim correct, even the thrust for your style of flying makes a difference.

5. Fly your aiplane enough to know every characteristic about it. I have seen pilots fly planes that folks would not think would do the things they can do with them because they have logged the stick time and know their airplane.

6. Have some sort of plan even it is a plan to just burn up the sky having fun. It is like this, if you never use the rudder and don't have a plan to, you never will - get the point? Plan to do things it brings more fun into it.

7. Don't let others discourage you about what you can do. After all they are not you and this is about you becoming a better pilot.

8. Totally enjoy this hobby as it can give you loads and loads of fun and rewards.

A side note for those interested - no you don't have to crash all the time, whoever said or teaches that is totally full of it and should think about what they are saying to fellow flyers. I just don't get why folks say you will crash, expect it to happen. Some say if you don't crash you are not flying and that is bull hocky too.

I know guys that have flown thousands of times with minimal if any mis-haps. Yes, sometimes it happens by a freak accident - that is a given. I have flown over a thousand flights myself with hardly any mis-haps and at times I have been extremely agressive in my flying.

One guy I know logs every flight and has over 1700 flights now and such a small amount of failures it is almost unreal. I have watched him fly often. His secrets? One thing is that he keeps his planes and equipment in tip top shape by replacing parts before they becomd potential failure points and doing good inspections. He is maticulous but it reduces his risk of crashing and is evident in his large amount of flights.

I have learned much by observing his methods and I have reduced my failure rates by becoming more aware of problem areas. We can learn from others and we can also learn bad habits from others which usually lead to problems.

Hope this is good info for someone out there[8D]
Some key things that helped me so much during my learning to be a better pilot was:

So after just 3 short years of flying R/C your completely accomplished and done learning? I think people wanting good advice in these forums should always go into the members profiles giving advice and see what they have been doing over the years. Far to many member's giving advice are more so keyboard experienced than anything else. You must always consider the source.

Bob
I certainly did not intend for that to read like I was some great accomplished pilot and I apologize if it did. The intent is that those things helped me be a better pilot, not fully accomplished. After only three years, I have come a long way and I have a very long ways to go and probably will never get there, yet that is fine with me as it always gives me room for growth and I think life long learning is just part of life. I suppose one would have to know what accomplished means to determine whether they are there are not.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I really like what you said above and agree completely..

In 34 years of flying and well over 12,000 flights... my crashes are..

1. Pilot error on first ever attempt to fly it alone... (joined a club the next week) 1978
2. Radio interference 1979
3. 1 Helicopter crash - pilot error while practising autorotations and getting cocky - 2010
4. 1 Helicopter crash - selected the incorrect model memory and took off with roll control reversed - 2010
5. 1 Helicopter crash - Servo Failure 2011.

Not a single crash in a fixed wing RC plane in 33 since 1979 years and over 6000 flights.
Rob, your track record is impressive and should give hope to others of what can be accomplished if approached correctly and the type of flyer to look toward for good advice. Excellent statistics.

I have always gleaned great information from your posts!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW !!!!   I have NEVER seen SO many people try to hijack a thread as this one.    EVERYONE trying to out-do the other(s), show up others, and prove that THEY have the skills.  I KNOW I wouldn't want you boasters (you know who you are), teaching me.... I would probably never get control of the plane, lol.

PLEASE READ THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD, and post accordingly.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

I certainly did not intend for that to read like I was some great accomplished pilot and I apologize if it did. The intent is that those things helped me be a better pilot, not fully accomplished.
Don't worry. You made a good contribution and did not come off like a know-it-all.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

how to become a better pilot.

I have seen very accomplished flyers that can make their plane do just about anything and have total control at all times, and I would still call them horrible pilots. Why, you ask? They have a total disregard for the safety and/or consideration of others. Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should do a thing. Good pilots use good judgment no matter what their skill level.

Something that helped me immensely was to get full scale flight training. Getting in the plane and seeing it from that perspective, and the formal education into basic aerodynamics was a huge eye opener. I learned a lot about what I was doing wrong and why it was wrong. It also taught me to actually plan my flying from start to finish, that is I had a plan before I even got the airplane in the car and followed through to putting the plane back in storage. Before that it was just get to the field and get it in the air then react to whatever might happen next. Being a little OCD when it comes to flying is not just a good thing it is necessary for a successful day.

Learn from others. Not just what to do but also what not to do.

Make at least a portion of each flight about learning or perfecting a skill.

Above all, once you learn the right way to do something practice it until it becomes automatic.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: SkidMan

I certainly did not intend for that to read like I was some great accomplished pilot and I apologize if it did. The intent is that those things helped me be a better pilot, not fully accomplished.
Don't worry. You made a good contribution and did not come off like a know-it-all.

Thanks,
Paul

Sure did.. and just to add... becoming a very good pilot has nothing to do with being in the hobby 10, 20 or 50 years. It is not the years flying , its WHAT YOU DO WHEN you do go out to fly. At every club there is someone that has the years but is still mediocre at best, Then there are some that has 2, 3 years and make rings around most at the field.
The point is this, so take note. Flying is also one of those things that some will learn very fast while others it will take a little longer and lets face it MANY will only be mediocre no matter how long they fly. Its like they will never be too many Sean Tuckers or Jimmy Frankilns. They are one of a kinds. So it is in RC. I have been flying from since the 80s and know I will never get to the skill level of some of the top guys out there. For one I don`t fly enough. I knew a guy back in the 80s, every time he comes out to the field a gallon of fuel is done for sure. The only plane I ever saw him fly was the Ultimate Bipe. He had about 3 different sizes. He was the first person I seen hovering and mind you this was before the cheating via gyros. Tony was a hell of a pilot, could fly a brick if you put wings on it and an engine. That`s because he flew often and he made every flight count.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Good post 91. Some very well made points and I think it brings us back to the OP's question. In a nutshell I would have to say " Disciplined Flying ". For me it has always been aerobatics no matter what the aircraft was I always had some sort of sequence in my hands and practicing. Not always easy and many times I would have to find someone who had the knowledge to help me progress. Thats the draw for me is to look at a sequence knowing full well I will never fly it perfect but I'm going to try and with every practice flight I leave the field just a little better.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Every plane I ever flew has been a trainer.

Great post!

Bob
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread almost turned into a ''who can land in the wind the best'' session, or I can pee farther than you can.

1. Do as much research as you can and learn as much as possible.

2. Choose what you really want to do as each person's advice is usually based on their ''style'' of flying and may not be acurate.

3. Don't take one person's advice over the rest until you have proven it to be the best advice in your situation.

4. Make sure you have a well balanced and mechanically trimmed out airplane, then get all radio trim correct, even the thrust for your style of flying makes a difference.

5. Fly your aiplane enough to know every characteristic about it. I have seen pilots fly planes that folks would not think would do the things they can do with them because they have logged the stick time and know their airplane.

6. Have some sort of plan even it is a plan to just burn up the sky having fun. It is like this, if you never use the rudder and don't have a plan to, you never will - get the point? Plan to do things it brings more fun into it.

7. Don't let others discourage you about what you can do. After all they are not you and this is about you becoming a better pilot.

8. Totally enjoy this hobby as it can give you loads and loads of fun and rewards.

A side note for those interested - no you don't have to crash all the time, whoever said or teaches that is totally full of it and should think about what they are saying to fellow flyers. I just don't get why folks say you will crash, expect it to happen. Some say if you don't crash you are not flying and that is bull hocky too.

I know guys that have flown thousands of times with minimal if any mis-haps. Yes, sometimes it happens by a freak accident - that is a given. I have flown over a thousand flights myself with hardly any mis-haps and at times I have been extremely agressive in my flying.

One guy I know logs every flight and has over 1700 flights now and such a small amount of failures it is almost unreal. I have watched him fly often. His secrets? One thing is that he keeps his planes and equipment in tip top shape by replacing parts before they becomd potential failure points and doing good inspections. He is maticulous but it reduces his risk of crashing and is evident in his large amount of flights.

I have learned much by observing his methods and I have reduced my failure rates by becoming more aware of problem areas. We can learn from others and we can also learn bad habits from others which usually lead to problems.

Hope this is good info for someone out there[8D]

So after just 3 short years of flying R/C your completely accomplished and done learning? I think people wanting good advice in these forums should always go into the members profiles giving advice and see what they have been doing over the years. Far to many member's giving advice are more so keyboard experienced than anything else. You must always consider the source.

Bob
I certainly did not intend for that to read like I was some great accomplished pilot and I apologize if it did. The intent is that those things helped me be a better pilot, not fully accomplished. After only three years, I have come a long way and I have a very long ways to go and probably will never get there, yet that is fine with me as it always gives me room for growth and I think life long learning is just part of life. I suppose one would have to know what accomplished means to determine whether they are there are not.
After going back over this thread I realize I should have never posted this response to you and I do sincerely apologize for being so callas in my post. []

Sincerely Sorry,

Bob
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Find your closest club flying F3A.
Go along, watch and get hold of the beginners program.
Start learning that.... you don't need any special kit to join in.
Even if you have no intention of flying pattern, it's the best way to get your flying together, plus you'll be able to watch, chat and learn from the best fliers in the business.
Believe me, their techniques are simply in a class of their own.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Luchnia

After going back over this thread I realize I should have never posted this response to you and I do sincerely apologize for being so callas in my post. []

Sincerely Sorry,

Bob
No problem at all - no ill will here. It was good for me to look back over the post and re-read it a few times to see if it came across condescending or anything. I was not sure if I had put something there that might be perceived as off-base or indicating my thoughts incorrectly giving someone the wrong concept.

Sometimes it is hard to type my thoughts out and I don't want to make anyone stumble and not help them. I think overall the thread has a huge list of great tips. I know I learn from it.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

Find your closest club flying F3A.
Go along, watch and get hold of the beginners program.
Start learning that.... you don't need any special kit to join in.
Even if you have no intention of flying pattern, it's the best way to get your flying together, plus you'll be able to watch, chat and learn from the best fliers in the business.
Believe me, their techniques are simply in a class of their own.
I know a pattern flyer and I have researched and watched him and that has improved my flying skills. He flies like he is on "glass" and so impressive. I think this is some very good advice.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 PM
bikerbc

I agree ... 8 hrs from the bottle to the throttle...Drinking and flying don't mix...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Tips to make you a better pilot..?
Fly gliders, then learn how to fly extremely fast planes that land once they run out of fuel. Every flight ends with "dead stick" routinely..no white knuckle, frantic, panicked, yelling at the top of your lungs, "DEAD STICK [X(] !!!!", spaz attacks when the engine dies.
BTW, drinking and RC combat mix very well. BTDT for many memorable and fun days from sun up to sun down....every summer...[8D]
Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 AM
cfircav8r

+1 on the gliders. They teach energy management and planning, and finding that next thermal forces you to get rid of the tunnel vision so many people get while flying. I also agree with the high speed on/off scenario. You need to be on your toes and well practiced to land where you want when the plane wants and not be caught with your pants around your ankles. A saying they have in full scale is starting to become appropriate in models, now with the newer better engines and electric motors, "We used to train for when the engine quit, now we train for if the engine quits."
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never flown pattern [I don't have the white pants and "Team XXX" wardrobe], but pylon racing teaches a certain amount of control discipline and forces you to learn proper control set up. It also teaches you the hard way how to preflight the plane for airworthyness.
3D is also my way of forcing myself to expand my capabilities. Without having 3D come along when it did I was getting bored with normal RC sport flying and would have probably spent more time flying control line stunt.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 PM
wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I think we may be getting a off track with allot of semantics now, if you want to become a better R/C pilot then reading all the literature in the world is not going to help you, it is good information to know but stick time is what you need at the field, or on the simulator, you must do the time. Burning gas, or electrons, or a lot of both, there is just no cheating it, set your goals and master them one by one. The rest of stuff to me is just allot of keyboard jiberish, I see allot of talk the talk, but not much walk the walk, So let's not confuse those wanting to actually be a better R/C pilots. Just for the record, I know plenty of full scale pilots that have all the book knowledge in the world, Some fly R/C pretty good and yet some can't fly an R/C airplane worth a crap, it's like most things I know of, we all must pay our dues to get what we want...

Bob

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

I agree with you mostly, and I too have seen many B-747 captains and such try to learn R/C , often at an older age and just give it up as being too difficult. On the other hand there is almost no better R/C learner than a 12 year old kid flying his dad or gramps IMAC plane. Point being, I run into people that believe stuff that is simply inacurate about flight of aircraft. I fly R/C with a bunch of engineers that know a hell of a lot more about electronics and engineering than I do & I try to learn from them. wallace.tharp
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I've never flown pattern [I don't have the white pants and ''Team XXX'' wardrobe], but pylon racing teaches a certain amount of control discipline and forces you to learn proper control set up. It also teaches you the hard way how to preflight the plane for airworthyness.
3D is also my way of forcing myself to expand my capabilities. Without having 3D come along when it did I was getting bored with normal RC sport flying and would have probably spent more time flying control line stunt.
Good point, I learned 3D for the same reason. People were doing it and I didn't know how. Keep challenging yourself. In all honesty, at my age of the big 70, it's difficult to keep the skills you have learned. Met an old guy about 20 years ago in Alaska on a trip in his van with his "girl friend." She looked about 20 years younger than him. He wrote an electronic column in RC Modeler. Meyers I think was his name. He looked up our Fairbanks Midnight Sun R/C club and came out & flew with us. Pulled a biplane out of that van & just flew the hell out of it. I asked his girlfriend, how does he do that? She said, we stopped at an airstrip most every day on the way up the ALCAN and he flew R/C. wallace.tharp
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
cfircav8r

I keep seeing the arguments for and against full scale techniques and experience, but I believe most of the problem is misunderstanding the differences and similarities. Speed says he holds rudder into the wind to maintain his straight line with wings level and the F/S flyers say that is impossible. Lets look at this for a minute and use what we know about aircraft to find out where the problem is. Speed does this all the time and it works, but when we fly full scale it is not done, why. First I think that what speed is saying is not that he holds rudder all the way down the line, but I have a feeling he holds it long enough to set the crab angle without loosing wings level and releases it as it stablizes to the corrected heading. Why do F/S pilots not use rudder to correct for wind? Because it is danged uncomfortable and they are setup differently than an IMAC model. This doesn't mean it can't be done in F/S just that it is not done generally. Speed is going for a look not passenger comfort or safety so many things he does with his model that seem absurd to a F/S pilot are fine with a model. Again this is not a difference with how they work just a difference in what we are looking for out of our aircraft. For the average weekend flyer what we do in F/S is generally a safer start to get them past the initial learning stages. After they have a good handle on what makes a plane fly and what limits a plane they can start to tailor their flying to suit the niche they have gravitated towards. Understanding aerodynamics will allow you to understand how F/S and models differ, and you will find that making a plane do what you want is really no different in models and F/S. The main differences are airframe, power and passenger limitations. Control is essentially identical. The best reason to learn full scale is the unique perspective it offers often makes difficult to grasp concepts click much easier.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM
pilotx

well done. cfircav8r
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

I keep seeing the arguments for and against full scale techniques and experience, but I believe most of the problem is misunderstanding the differences and similarities. Speed says he holds rudder into the wind to maintain his straight line with wings level and the F/S flyers say that is impossible. Lets look at this for a minute and use what we know about aircraft to find out where the problem is. Speed does this all the time and it works, but when we fly full scale it is not done, why. First I think that what speed is saying is not that he holds rudder all the way down the line, but I have a feeling he holds it long enough to set the crab angle without loosing wings level and releases it as it stablizes to the corrected heading. Why do F/S pilots not use rudder to correct for wind? Because it is danged uncomfortable and they are setup differently than an IMAC model. This doesn't mean it can't be done in F/S just that it is not done generally. Speed is going for a look not passenger comfort or safety so many things he does with his model that seem absurd to a F/S pilot are fine with a model. Again this is not a difference with how they work just a difference in what we are looking for out of our aircraft. For the average weekend flyer what we do in F/S is generally a safer start to get them past the initial learning stages. After they have a good handle on what makes a plane fly and what limits a plane they can start to tailor their flying to suit the niche they have gravitated towards. Understanding aerodynamics will allow you to understand how F/S and models differ, and you will find that making a plane do what you want is really no different in models and F/S. The main differences are airframe, power and passenger limitations. Control is essentially identical. The best reason to learn full scale is the unique perspective it offers often makes difficult to grasp concepts click much easier.

You are right. So what do you say to the novice that does not fully understand what is being said because of limited experience. Rudder into the wind or aileron into the wind? Does it matter if it is a super light Extra 260 that has 2:1 thrust ratio or a heavy P47. Which technique is used. I for one on my warbirds it`s aileron into the wind, rudder to hold the nose on the center line.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
cfircav8r

That is one way or you can use the ever popular rudder just at touch down to straighten it out. They are both for landing and both have pluses and minuses, but I think Speed was talking more about during flight doing IMAC routines. My personal preferences are a slip to landing and use coordinated aileron/rudder to establish crab during flight. The biggest problem I have found is that very few within these arguments are necessarily wrong. They tend to be right for what they want out of their planes and experiences, but that is not what is right for everyone. This can cause some major misinterpretations and misunderstandings. The best answer, to me, is learn as much as you can about the fundamentals of flight then decide what you want to do and work towards perfecting that with the help of experienced like minded mentors when possible or with the help of available literature regardless of whether it is F/S or model related. The best source of information is literature that has been vetted by a credible organization. This ensures that it is as accurate as possible and will give you the best foundation to build your experience on. You can't go wrong with a good knowledge base. Getting all your information from the local club flyers and forums is akin to learning about the birds and the bees on the playground. Much of it may be accurate, but more than a little will be a load of B.S. Hear about it on the forums or at the field then research it through credible sources either online or in aeronautical texts. You will soon learn who to trust the most, but don't put 100% faith in anyone 100% of the time. If it sounds wrong or doesn't make sense, research it until you understand it.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM
91zulu

Ok I get what you are saying. I was just hoping to get your take on the slip technique being used on a high wing loading plane such as a Jug or Spitfire that is not going to float in at idle like a 50% Edge. I think many that do 3D believe many of the techniques that they use also apply to every things else. Hence many of the advice given. Now I do recognize some 3D guys also fly giant warbirds and may use same technique for both but that is only after being fully familiar with both types. Which is not the case with a novice. That is why I stress touch and goes for the simple reason the low air speed tends to teach more than many think. Maintaining altitude and trying not to stall or over control is not as easy as it sounds.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

Ok I get what you are saying. I was just hoping to get your take on the slip technique being used on a high wing loading plane such as a Jug or Spitfire that is not going to float in at idle like a 50% Edge. I think many that do 3D believe many of the techniques that they use also apply to every things else. Hence many of the advice given. Now I do recognize some 3D guys also fly giant warbirds and may use same technique for both but that is only after being fully familiar with both types. Which is not the case with a novice. That is why I stress touch and goes for the simple reason the low air speed tends to teach more than many think. Maintaining altitude and trying not to stall or over control is not as easy as it sounds.
Good thoughts. I fly a number of different ways - mostly aerobatic and some light 3D. I have also flown full scale, yet it has been so long ago. The thing is I do remember much of it and since flying RC I really don't maintain as some do that full scale will somehow really affect what you do in RC planes. Granted I do believe that knowing a good bit about the fundamentals of full scale flying is a huge plus.

I think you have hit on a great point about touch and goes and I would even advocate many an hour be spent practicing landing and takeoff in many conditions with different planes and refining the technique. I really think that saves your airplanes and gets you familiar with how different aircraft land.

One of the biggest problems I have observed with RC pilots (in some clubs, not all) is lacking solid approach and landing skills. They can burn the sky up, but struggle to do a good approach with a solid landing. Many can only fly at one end of the field in one direction and when the wind is coming from another they struggle.

Early on, I knew if I planned to get some flying time I had to learn how to get my planes down safely in many conditions. It is nice to be able to go fly in a lot of adverse conditions. The only time I don't really enjoy flying is when you have the gusty situations from cross winds as I don't enjoy fighting that type of wind. That is when 3D skills and different style planes can come in handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.