Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

First impressions: Bondhus ProHold ball drivers

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

First impressions: Bondhus ProHold ball drivers

Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First impressions: Bondhus ProHold ball drivers

In my quest for a decent set of ball drivers, I purchased the SAE and metric sets of the Bondhus ProHold drivers from RTL Fasteners.

My first impressions are very favourable. The ProHold button does a great job of holding onto socket head screws, but doesn't interfere with rotation. Only time will tell how well they do in the long term, but I have high hopes. And they have a new home in the workshop.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
acerc

Default RE: First impressions: Bondhus ProHold ball drivers

I as well have the Bondus ball drivers. I also like how well they hold into the bolthead. My only complaint is how quick the marking's wear off. I don't know why some of these higher grade tool makers cant lazer the marking's into the stock.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
kwblake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey grosbeak. Back when I was working as a Tool and Die Maker, I used Unbrako allen wrenches, and that was about it. I still think they are one of the best made. I believe they are still made in the States. Not 100% though. There are a few makes that I use now, Unbrako, Eklind, and Bondhus. Can't comment on the exact set you have, but I bet they will be just great. Bondhus makes some very good tools. Where did you pick them up, and what was the cost of the two sets. I'm always looking for different allen wrenches. I need a set of long ball drivers. Can't have too many toys.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love mine, no complaints. Dave
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Ace my only complaint is the markings wearing off. I wrote the size on the top of the handle in sharpie. Idid manage to break off a tip on one. I bought mine from Tower.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
grosbeak

I got the drivers from RTL Fasteners - I believe it was $48 for the set of 8 SAE drivers and $32 for the 5 metric drivers. Strangely enough, the SAE set skips from 7/64" to 9/64" with no 1/8" driver included.

Thanks for the tips on the markings wearing off. Maybe a little thinned epoxy to coat them while they're still fresh?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya gotta love those ball drivers, you can get at socket heads that you can't with the standard ones. As far as size markings go, no problem, don't know from looking anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I can see buying high quality tools, but not necessarily in a set.
I purchase only the sizes I need for my modeling needs. This saves money and you don't have the big ball drivers lying around, never being used. The two or three larger sizes in the metric and fractional sets would probably never be used in modeling.

Greg
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
grosbeak

ORIGINAL: acerc

I as well have the Bondus ball drivers. I also like how well they hold into the bolthead. My only complaint is how quick the marking's wear off. I don't know why some of these higher grade tool makers cant lazer the marking's into the stock.
Thanks for the tip! I took care of that with some thinned epoxy. Hopefully that will keep the markings on for a while.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I did spin the handle on one of mine, but overall had great luck. I use two of them to assemble one plane and a third to assemble another. I just put a red pin stripe on the handles of the two used for plane one. And a orange pin strip on the driver for plane two. Makes quick work when reaching in the tool bucket no matter if I can read the size or not.

David
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Try a "Hudy" tool! I have used this Hungarian brand for 20 years know and haven't found anything better. http://www.hudy.net/flash_stuff/all_in/index.htm
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Clay Walters

I started with the Bondhus ball-drivers but soon switched to Duratrax because I need the larger handle even on the small sizes. But like the Bondhus' the print soon wears off and you cannot confirm the size so it becomes a trial & error to find the right fit. By having both metric & standard I can usually find one and they sure beat using allan wrench's most of the time. My greatest complaint is when you really need to tighten something they round off before the screw head. Fortunately because of the ball-end they don't destroy the socket completely so an allan wrench can save the day.

I use RTL servo screws and the ball drivers make this a snap.

Clay
Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 AM
grosbeak

Here's a look at the epoxy coating I put on my Bondhus drivers. Very durable so far.