Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

PERFECT BRAND PAINT

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

PERFECT BRAND PAINT

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PERFECT BRAND PAINT

THERE ONCE WAS PAINT CALLED "PERFECT".. MINERAL SPRITS REDUCED.. FLATS MAINLY.. IS THERE A HOME DEPOT OR LOWES PAINT THATS THE SAME??
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: PERFECT BRAND PAINT

Wow , I doubt it, I have used that paint before and it was not compatible with anything else I had..

Not to say something wasn't out there. If I recall that stuff was fairly nasty (as paint goes) ...
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I loved the Chevron Perfect Paint and wish it were still available. I still have some on the shelf that I'm slowly using up! I have never found anything else that I would say is comparable.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

THANKS.. I LOVED THE STUFF..PETTIT MAYBE CLOSE..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43270.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1876132  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a polyurethane paint. Lowe's used to carry Red Devil poly paint and I remember it was very similar. However, I only remember glossy colors. Also, I vaguely remember that Rustoleum bought Red Devil. This was a long timer ago.

See if you can find polyurethane paint and test it using glow fuel.

Remember, these paints are heavy!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some Glidden polyurethane paint at Home Depot for around $25/gallon.  I have not tried it on a plane yet, but I painted my engine test stand with it and so far the glow fuel has not made it sticky.  What I bought could be mixed to any color you wanted, but I don't see it on their web page now.  I can take a picture of my can if you're interested.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics are always useful.  It should be tested first , maybe, but that would be more trouble than a pic?  Pactra used to make a Formula U paint for models too.  It had the usual hobby markup on it.  I have a couple cans left but they are pretty much hardened up now.  That was a long time ago.  I am looking for something cheap and dirty too.  Some guys use a basic paint and then a clear PU over it to fuel proodf it, but that is twice the weight. I tried a flooring two part epoxy on a foam flutterboard to make a swamp buggy.  It was fuelproof, but cost as much as a good epoxy that was better quality, and lighter, nicer colours......
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM
PatrickCurry

Found it on Glidden's site:  http://www.glidden.com/pro/products/...-enamel-pro.do  Home Depot is showing a different one on their site now.  It's probably the same thing, but they're only showing a grey.  The one I have is PF8090 Accent Tint Base and it can be mixed to whatever color you want.  I'm going to spray some on one of my Spads when I get a chance to and see how it holds up.  As I said, it's holding up on my test stand so far.  That's just a piece of pine plywood that I primed and then painted with this product.  I've only run engines on it a couple times so far though, so I don't know about long term durability.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 PM
aspeed

Kind of funny, it is called porch and floor enamel, and it says not recommended for decks.  If you wipe it with a kleenex dipped in high nitro fuel, will it transfer to the kleenex.  I tried that with straight nitro on a laquer, and it cleaned all of it off.  Maybe I will try some on the basement steps at the rental house.  Hmm chrome yellow steps would be nice.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM
PatrickCurry

I shot some 10% Omega on it after that last post and just now went and wiped it off with Windex, so it had been on there about an hour.  No marring or stickiness at all and nothing came off on the paper towel.  I'll shoot some more on there and leave it overnight and see what happens.  That is kind of weird that they don't recommend it for decks.  PT I can understand because most people don't let PT wood dry out good enough before they paint it.  I'm guessing a covered porch would be ok, but they don't recommend it for decks because this stuff is slicker than owl **** when it's wet.  It would be real easy to bust your kiester on a deck, but probably just as easy if you ran out of the rain up onto a covered porch coated with this stuff.  Other than that, I don't know why they'd recommend it for a wood porch and not a wood deck.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 AM
PatrickCurry

I sprayed the 10% Omega on my test stand and let it sit overnight.  When I remembered to check it the next day, it came off just fine.  No marring of the paint, no stickiness or gumminess at all.  I sprayed it with Windex and scrubbed it HARD with a paper towel and no paint came off on the paper towel at all.  I just wish it came in quarts!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
aspeed

I'll check for some here then. A quart would be fine for my stairs and all the planes I will do in the next couple of years too, unless I make some bigger stuff. Hmm, red or yellow stairs?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 AM
PatrickCurry

I don't think the Glidden comes in quarts.  I was tempted to ask the guy at Home Depot if I could buy 4 of their empty quart cans, pour the gallon of base in the quart cans and then let him mix them.  I'm guessing that would mess up the color mix, but I don't know how that works.......
Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
aspeed

I just checked the Rona in town, forget the brand,  they had an alkyd epoxy floor paint.  $14 a quart.  Most stuff is over $40 a gallon.  The little U.S. ones too.  That is a good idea to mix up four colours?  Hmm red, orange, yellow and blue.  Still no good for the stairs.  There are different bases, but you could likely get a couple of similar colours.  Yellow base, deep base and light, maybe something could be done.  I wonder if it would be foam safe, then you could do basic fiberglass.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

I remember a discussion on this a few years back. Never tried the stuff.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/default.asp

Wonder if the marine paint is fuel proof.

Mistake, Pettit paint made Hobbypoxy paint.

Jim
ORIGINAL: RAPPTOR

THANKS.. I LOVED THE STUFF..PETTIT MAYBE CLOSE..
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

While I haven't tried this... it comes in quarts and several colors... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Topside+Paint#
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
aspeed

It is a bit pricey, but isn't two parts.  That is good if it is fuelproof.  I read on a domestic forum of a TSC tractor paint being fuelproof.  I think I bought some thinner for that stuff that was a strange concoction.  Maybe it is the ticket.  I like a fuelproof colour, rather than a clear topcoat.  Less weight.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM
jdmachinery
My Feedback: (1)

Post #5 referred to Red Devil Polyurethane, that I believe is discontinued.

I've had great results using Polyurethane paints for glow fuel finished planes and recommend Interlux Brightside Polyurethane. It is sold in Quarts as well as limited basic colors in 1/2 Pints termed Boottop (really thick) . Use the right Interlux recommended thinners for any of these polyurethane paints. West Marine retail stores stock it, and/or you can also order from http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...duct.do?pid=68. Its good stuff, I use Boottop to tint other colors. Its about all one can find these days....cost is not the object with this paint but its really good stuff!