Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

I need help finding an item for building.

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

I need help finding an item for building.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:26 PM
jcwalton
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help finding an item for building.

Can anyone give me some information on locating an item like this? I think it is called a spade bolt or eye bolt. The World Engines the Robin Hood 25 kit had them included. They were for the wing struts. I would like to find a source for them for other models built from plans. I remember finding metal ones in the old Sterling kits for mounting landing gear wires. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jim W.
Columbus, Ga.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eye bolt.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	958.8 KB
ID:	2047955  
Old 11-16-2014, 03:26 PM
jcwalton

Default I need help finding an item for building.

Can anyone give me some information on locating an item like this? I think it is called a spade bolt or eye bolt. The World Engines the Robin Hood 25 kit had them included. They were for the wing struts. I would like to find a source for them for other models built from plans. I remember finding metal ones in the old Sterling kits for mounting landing gear wires. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jim W.
Columbus, Ga.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:34 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try your local hobby shop or hardware store.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 PM
jcwalton

Unfortunantly we do not have a local hobby shop. I did try a few of the hardware stores in the area. I have found similar items on line but you have to order large amounts. They want you ask for "quotes" on what you need. I remember "Perfect" model hardware supplier used to sell packages of these in steel. They were threaded and came with nuts. Some of the older kits makers used to supply them in kits. They were use to mount landing gear. I do appreciate your suggestion. I will let you know if I have any luck.
Thanks again,
Jim W.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jcwalton, Local hobby stores are "few and far between" in Georgia, and maybe everywhere now days. I know it's not just around the corner for you but there is a great LHS in Roberta Ga. It's CMJ Hobbies, just south of "downtown" Roberta on the same property that the Roberta Rebels RC Club flys at (nice field too). I think they are within your traveling range and worth checking out. I was at a war bird meet there last week and found the hobby store to have a very good stock of model hardware, building supplies, kits, ARFs, engine parts, pilots, covering, you name it for RC planes. I wish they were closer to me. Check 'em out.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That part is called an eyebolt. I can't help you on the modeling side. They are used on full scale aircraft. Smallest has a 1032 thread. See Wicks Aircraft site p/n AN42B-3. Unfortunately may be too costly for modeling. If this may be usable, you may search local aircraft parts suppliers to see if they are in stock.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DuBro makes these with 2/56 thread and 4/40 thread. I'm not sure of what they call them but are often used in setting up pull-pull lines on RC models and for rigging in model sail boats. If you are persistant (takes time and effort) you can cut off the head of the approriate size bolt, pound a flat into the end and drill a hole through the flattened end. If you have a heat source, you can heat the end red hot before pounding it flat as that is easier than cold working it. If large enough, you can grind a flat surface at the end of the cutt off and drill your hole through the flat surface.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DuBro makes these with 2/56 thread and 4/40 thread. I'm not sure of what they call them but are often used in setting up pull-pull lines on RC models and for rigging in model sail boats. If you are persistant (takes time and effort) you can cut off the head of the approriate size bolt, pound a flat into the end and drill a hole through the flattened end. If you have a heat source, you can heat the end red hot before pounding it flat as that is easier than cold working it. If large enough, you can grind a flat surface at the end of the cutt off and drill your hole through the flat surface.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM
CafeenMan

I would try McMaster-Carr.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I needed one before so I got a Thumb Screw from Lowes, modified it by cutting the blade to the right width and drilling a hole in the blade.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM
jcwalton

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try what you described. I was hoping to find plastic ones as used in the World Engines Robin Hood 25 kit. I must accept the fact they are no longer available. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eye bolt.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	958.8 KB
ID:	2050060  
Old 11-25-2014, 03:10 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So go to a local hardware store and buy some plastic bolts and make it.

Last edited by acerc; 11-25-2014 at 03:15 PM.