Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Epoxy tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 AM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet..any videos in the air?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Gee, if you guys only need that little epoxy, you're lucky. I routinely mix up a full small mixing cup. Then again, when I mix epoxy, I'm using it on several models at the same time so I rarely have anything left. Guess that's what I get for using West Systems, stuff's too expensive to waste but worth it
Old 05-19-2015, 05:06 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use paper plates,,,have for years,,gives you lots of room to mix...dollar 50 for a dollar. when done just dispose or go to a different section of the plate to continue on {dollar store} 50 for a dollar
TAZZZZ
Old 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by JMCHASE
I have several bottles of cure time on my bottles. Almost made the mistake one time of mixing a five minute cure with thirty mineut cure.
sooo i tape the bottles together so that thirty minute is two bottles taped together and five taped to five. And so on...
I mistakenly did that the other day, I mixed 20 minute resin with 5 minute hardener. It still cured up fine.

Maybe I was extraordinarily lucky?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 PM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by Rodney
For a nice slick (no sanding required) finish when you fiberglass a wing center section, just cover the freshly applied area with Saran Wrap (like use in the kitchen) and smooth it out with your fingers. You will get a perfectly flared edge and a finish as smooth as glass when you remove the Saran Wrap (of course leave in on for at least 6 or more hours to cure before removing). Be sure there are no ripples in the wrap as you smooth it out.
Interesting, I wonder if the backing for film covering would work also? Easier to work with and it has no other uses after it's peeled off anyway...
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding is the hardener is the same on all of them, but the formula for the resin is slightly different on the various cure time epoxys.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 AM
R. C. Day
My Feedback: (7)

I mix my epoxy on a 5 x 5 inch piece of sheet Teflon. When hardened, flex the Teflon and the cured epoxy comes off. I clean up any unmixed residue with acetone and repeat.

R.C.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
T_om

Originally Posted by 52larry52
My understanding is the hardener is the same on all of them, but the formula for the resin is slightly different on the various cure time epoxys.
You have that exactly backwards. The hardener is different.

Tom
Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM
52larry52

Tom, Thanks for the correction on the hardener. I went out on a limb and made that statement relying on memory...not a good idea with an "old" memory. I guess I should have researched what I thought I had read but i got lazy. So it's the hardener that determines the cure time. I'am going to play with that and try using 5 min hardener with 30 min resin and see what kind of cure time I get, just for fun! Thanks again for the correction.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you think those two mixes will be as hard as they should be?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 PM
52larry52

I don't know. Not doing it on an airplane, I'll just glue some scrap sticks together and see what I get. "Just for fun". You know, when I made that misstatement in post #31, part of why I didn't research first is that I couldn't remember where I had read about it.....well, DUH, it was post #19 in this very thread ! Talk about "can't remember s@#%". Now where did I leave my AARP card again, I can't remember!

Last edited by 52larry52; 05-29-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM
tailskid

My memory is so bad I can plan my own surprise party!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:52 PM
52larry52

tailskid, "....plan your own surprise party", that's a good one. I'd like to steal that line, but I'll probably forget it.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:17 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife and I hide our own Easter Eggs!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys got me laughing, because most of those thoughts apply to me. But, here's a tip I learned recently that I really like. To thin epoxy, heat with a heat gun the surface you're covering and it wont effect the epoxy like adding some thinner of some kind and it will spread as thin as you want.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:59 PM
tailskid

I hope I can remember that one!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 PM
52larry52

I like Tom's suggestion too. I'd better write that down!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I've ran across this post several times over the last few months... and no dis-respect to the original poster... I just find it very odd to use "paint swatches" for mixing... very strange. Of all the items that are readily available... why on earth a paint swatch...

I'm all for a paper based throw away mixing board... like a paper plate is a great idea... I actually use a coated(glossy) card stock paper, cut to small size(4.25"x5.5"), as I'm in printing, and have ample supply of whatever paper/card-stock I need, cut to whatever size I want..... I guess a paint swatch is what the guy had available... hmm.. there's much better material to mix epoxy on though... He might as well use junk mail to mix on.. saves a trip to the paint department. Whatever works for ya though. Good luck with it.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Tom Nied

I like the polypropylene lids that you get with coffee cans or Pringles , cannednuts. When cured the epoxy usually just peels off. A plastic coated paper plate works great too.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 06-26-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added content
Old 06-26-2015, 09:06 PM
JMCHASE

Originally Posted by DGrant
I've ran across this post several times over the last few months... and no dis-respect to the original poster... I just find it very odd to use "paint swatches" for mixing... very strange. Of all the items that are readily available... why on earth a paint swatch...

I'm all for a paper based throw away mixing board... like a paper plate is a great idea... I actually use a coated(glossy) card stock paper, cut to small size(4.25"x5.5"), as I'm in printing, and have ample supply of whatever paper/card-stock I need, cut to whatever size I want..... I guess a paint swatch is what the guy had available... hmm.. there's much better material to mix epoxy on though... He might as well use junk mail to mix on.. saves a trip to the paint department. Whatever works for ya though. Good luck with it.

Paint swatche are nothing more the card stock. Ive mixed epoxy on everything from inside of match boxes to business cards. Swatches come in different sizes. My neighbor is a paint contractor he gave my a bunch of swatches all they were good for was mixing epoxy on and tossing them. When i ran out i got some when we painted the house.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Tom Nied

Here's another one that's kind of like my post in #40. I recently had to laminate some thin ply to some pine to strengthen it across the grain. I was able to put the the wood pieces in a microwave for 20 seconds and it warmed it up nicely. Should have put a hot dog in there with it, and I could have had a snack as well. :-) But seriously, it did make the epoxy brush out very easily.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Jennifer Curtis

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Here's another one that's kind of like my post in #40. I recently had to laminate some thin ply to some pine to strengthen it across the grain. I was able to put the the wood pieces in a microwave for 20 seconds and it warmed it up nicely. Should have put a hot dog in there with it, and I could have had a snack as well. :-) But seriously, it did make the epoxy brush out very easily.
Just like solder, epoxy flows toward heat.
(Heat makes it thinner, so it flows more and
as it gets closer to the heat it gets thinner.)
So, putting epoxy on hot wood thus will give
great penetration and strengthen the wood
in addition to joining it.

Jenny
Old 07-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, thanks for adding and clarifying that Jenny.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That heat process is actually the preferred way of thinning West Systems epoxies according to their website. I know many like to thin with Alcohol but, as someone already said, it can cause the epoxy to improperly cure.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Jennifer Curtis

I never use alcohol to thin epoxy. I use acetone
instead. It evaporates pretty quickly so the
epoxy thickens up and stays in place. I don't
know if any remains in the cured epoxy like
alcohol (which always contains water) to
weaken the epoxy. I only thin epoxy when
I am using it as a sealant, like inside the
fuel tank area or wing saddle.

I read that using vinegar to cleanup epoxy
will allow it to be absorbed through the skin.
Rubbing alcohol for cleanup supposedly
doesn't do this. Just to be on the safe side
I always use rubber gloves when I expect
the glue job to get messy.

I also always start the glue job by getting
ready for a spill, which is almost inevitable.
Have more than enough paper towels
already torn off, and some alcohol opened.

I also have something handy to scratch my nose.

A hat, headband, or bandana is handy for long
hair, which always tries to get into the glue.

Somewhere you want to place a clamp
will have epoxy squeezed out or smeared
over. Have a ziplock plastic baggie ready
to lay over the glue so that the clamp
doesn't become part of the project.
Your fingers will be too sticky to work
with a piece of Glad wrap, but the ziplock
will hold the baggie flat so you can position it.

Finally no matter how many clamps you
expect to use, you will always need more,
so have extras already opened and ready.

Jenny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.