Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Standard for switch positions in RC?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Standard for switch positions in RC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 AM
slipknot 26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago the Tx companies used to label switches so you really had no choice as to get used to the way they were set by the company. Being all the newer model Tx's have all the switches labeled A,B,C,D,F,G,H etc. we can program our switches as we like them. I personally have all my toggles away in normal flite modes on all of my models, I try also to keep the same switches for the same functions on all of my models with similar features ,such as ( Smoke pump, lights,gear, choke etc,) As stated before consistency is the key. The more models you have the more the need arises to have the switches the same. HTH
Old 04-19-2015, 06:56 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 52larry52
Grandpooba, You didn't say what kind of bird your Kadet Sr. hit on final, but I'll bet it wasn't a large one. Turkey vultures in addition to being very ugly are rather large birds and this guys plane was small, probably 50' W.S. or so. No contest, it was a sumo wrestler against a ballet dancer and it was a direct hit. I think the plane was a Tequila ARF.
No Sir, was definitely not a " Turkey Vulture ". If it was, I am quite sure that I would have brought my Kadet home in a garbage bag.

During my real life career, we took a bird strike to the right side windshield on a Falcon 200, while on short final landing at a airport in Florida. Turned out to be an Egret " I think that is how you spell it ". I reported the strike to the tower and stated that I am sure that we killed the bird. Well surprisingly the Game Warden came out and continued to chew our butts for killing an endangered bird. " As if we had a choice in the matter " ! After he stopped chewing on us, I just politely stated to him, that if the bird is so endangered, why don't you move the suckers off of airport property !!!! They were not the least bit concerned about the damage that a bird of that size could do to an aircraft. Luckily, our aircraft did not sustain any damage.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use one of them switch holders with a charging port built in, out is on for me.[ This aught to open up a new can of worms]. On the transmitter im with the crowd with up for high rates, down for low.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by biam
I use one of them switch holders with a charging port built in, out is on for me.[ This aught to open up a new can of worms]. On the transmitter im with the crowd with up for high rates, down for low.
I had one plane I bought used from someone like that. I switched it around right away. All my other planes IN is ON. With the push in and out switches, it is real easy to pump the switch in while handling it from the starting stand to setting it on the ground. Now with it in this position, it is easier to turn it on when you don't want to like moving it from the vehicle to the garage, but I would much rather it be on when I don't want it on then to be off when I want it on. On standard switches, back is on. I have seen a lot of helpers holding my plane while I throttle it up and when they let it go, they usually let is slide through their hands in which case if the switch was there, it would pull it to the on position.

With the switches on the tx, I use the concept of the throttle and elevator. Forward is more throttle (full throttle) or down (elevator) so low rates are back, high rates (more rates) are forward, up flaps are back, down flaps are forward, gear up is back gear down is forward. Now of course the rates could be looked at differently, as you might think that at full throttle you want low rates and at low throttle, you want high rates. I didn't think about that before, but I will just keep doing it the way I have been.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:39 PM
orbsah

It's been ON towards the rear for me ever since my buddy tossed his slope glider off the cliff and bumped the switch to OFF (his switch was OFF to the rear). Been the standard on all my planes for the past 35 years. Whatever you do, make sure it's always consistent for every plane.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM
jetmech05

There is no norm. But to me being a full scale maintenance guy on is toward the windows normally.
Full me on the airplane on is forward. On the transmitter low or off is toward me or down.
Remember that is normal for me
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a couple of pylon racers with a switch mounted inside the fuselage as well. I use a small string, spiderwire actually, that runs out a small hole on the left and right side of the fuse. Either pull on or pull off. Very small chance of that system getting accidentally shut off. Important when push launching those pylon planes.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orbsah
It's been ON towards the rear for me ever since my buddy tossed his slope glider off the cliff and bumped the switch to OFF (his switch was OFF to the rear). Been the standard on all my planes for the past 35 years. Whatever you do, make sure it's always consistent for every plane.
I've turned off a switch set up with ON to the rear while hand launching. Easy to do: picture your right thumb just behind the switch. When you throw the plane forward, your thumb will rotate (relative to the fuselage) and shove the switch forward. To be sure, you can also accidentally turn a switch off if it's set for OFF to the rear. Neither setup is a surefire way to prevent this. There is a solution, but I can't describe it because that would derail the thread.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Duncman

All this talk about the main power switch being "on" towards the rear or front, that is assuming it is mounted horizontally. What if we mount it vertically, should "up" be on or off? Just adding another wrench to the gears and being a wise guy.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Rafael23cc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
All this talk about the main power switch being "on" towards the rear or front, that is assuming it is mounted horizontally. What if we mount it vertically, should "up" be on or off? Just adding another wrench to the gears and being a wise guy.
Being mostly a helicopter and giant scale guy, I do not get into the hand launching debate, in addition, most of my switches are mounted internally.

I also see the logic where a switch could be turned off by vibration or similar forces when mounted vertically and "ON" being up.

Just my 2 cents, since this topic has been derailed for quite a while.

Rafael
Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had switches set vertically and we used up as On. I never really considered the vibration thing in one plane we used a G meter it seemed to handle 20 G's just fine.
Again arguments can be made for any configuration, standardize your fleet to avoid an issue when your guard is down.
Oh and with the wire through the side of the fuse to actuate an internal switch, I use the pull on. Most handeling is in the shop and transport were it could easily get pushed in and turned on as well as the switch in for off reduces the chance for it to catch on something since mine is only about 1/8" from the side of the fuse.
Sparky
Old 06-19-2015, 03:36 PM
smallrc

I prefer to mount my switch inside the fuselage with a short piece of push/pull rod with a wheel collar on the end of it - it keeps the switch out of the oily exhaust. Pull is on and push is off. It's possible to bump it and turn it off, but if mounted the opposite, it would be far more likely (in my humble opinion) to bump it while transporting and having a dead battery when I get to the field... Just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I went through that thought process once and decided "in is on" is better for me. Thinking it was too easy to bump it while/during takeoff that it would be better as "in is on. To prevent bumping it at home or while driving to and from the field, I made what i call a "safety puck" that holds the switch open it will not bump close (on) when the safety puck is on. When I pack up at the field, the "safety puck" goes on. Pretty good, eh?