Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Need Help: Control Push Rods:

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Need Help: Control Push Rods:

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Control Push Rods:

Hi Guys,

I have a ESM P-51B Mustang with a DLE-35RA Gas Engine in it. Being fairly new to Gas Engines I understand that to reduce any chance of radio interference that you need to use Non-Metallic type push rods. I have tried several different types of push rods to find the right set up/

I have moved towards the older type of Dubro / Great Planes Nylon Push Rods.
The "Red Tube with the Yellow Nylon inner tube push rod with threaded metal rod about one inch long to screw on a clevis on etc...".I have a 1 inch threaded rod in the end with a threaded ball link attached to it for the Throttle. After several attempts to get the right rod and the right location in the firewall, I have the rod installed for the time being. Nothing is permanent yet.....

My Question is:

I remember in the old days back in the 70's when they were used quite a bit. The problem was when the weather got cold they would contract and when the weather got warm they would expand. Can anyone who has used them recently tell me if the situation still the same? I remember it would wreck havoc on the "Trim Settings" all the time.

The manual suggests using a "Ny-Rod" type set up with small threaded one inch rod ends on both ends and then a ball link on one end and a 90Deg. bend with a Faslink on the other. I know I could use 90Deg. with a wheel collar and several other ideas. But any other suggestions would be helpful.

Also any suggestion with the Choke? It is pretty stiff and some of the Throttle rod set ups would not work on the Choke because it is so stiff.

Note:

• I have plenty of Parts & Supplies to work with. Ny-Rods (Red Tube & Yellow Insert rods), Dubro Lazer Rods (Red Tubes slightly bigger with Opaque white/ Clearish Tubes) , Flexible Cable Pushrods of different size ( 3/64" & 5/64") Braided Copper Wire, Grey Tubes from the GP 48" Steel rods Push rod set ups. Just about any type of end & connector available.
Thanks A Bunch Guys....

Ed
Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used those red outer, yellow inner tube on many a 40 to 60 size plane with no problems with temperature causing problems. All parts will change dimensions to some extent with temperature including the air frame and structure along with the push rods, not enough of a problem to worry about. I also use those red/yellow rods on the throttle of the bigger gassers to nullify any rf problems (I was on 72 MHz systems) and that worked out well.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Electriceddie

Originally Posted by Rodney
I have used those red outer, yellow inner tube on many a 40 to 60 size plane with no problems with temperature causing problems. All parts will change dimensions to some extent with temperature including the air frame and structure along with the push rods, not enough of a problem to worry about. I also use those red/yellow rods on the throttle of the bigger gassers to nullify any rf problems (I was on 72 MHz systems) and that worked out well.

Hi Rodney,

I am on 72Mhz as well and that is one of my concerns. The plane is a P-51B Mustang and I also I can not mount the servo right behind the firewall as I would like to. So the length of the run is about 12 inches with 2 slight bends in it. The NY-Rod is pretty smooth so I think it will work out OK.. I just remember the days in the 70's when I was a kid flying in winter in 20-30 degree weather and having all kinds of trim problems after leaving my warm home and getting to the field. LOL.... The days of 20-30 degree weather flying are long gone. But being a kid I wanted to fly in anything.

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

You are describing the Sullivan control rods. Does the inner rod have splines on it? If it does, it is a Sullivan. They are not prone to expansion and contraction like the Ny-Rods are. I used to use them all the time. It will be fine for throttle and choke setup. Make sure you support them in the middle of the run some where because they will flex, especially the one for the choke. I wish I could find an easy way to remove the ball detent from the choke because it is way to stiff on the dle's.