Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flight Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Flight Box

I really needed to build a flight box and organize what I have. I used scrap wood left over from a storage building I am finishing up. Wood is a bit thick but I went with what I had. Some of the wood was weathered but still usable. A little paint will have it looking good. Weight is not a problem but if it becomes a problem I have a nice 2 wheel handcart, from my Oshkosh Fly In days, that I can use.

Two drawers and a top tray. The drawers and tray will probably have compartments. I will add removable fuselage cradles in case I ever need them. So far it is nicely balanced, left-right and centered. It should work pretty good. I used screws so if I have to rework it it will be easily doable. Making the drawers, tray and cutting handle is next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2107677   Click image for larger version

Views:	297
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	2107678  
Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM
mustangman177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job, imrpessive, like the idea you're building it yourself to fit your needs. Using wood you already have and your ingenuity. it will turn out nice !!!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:20 AM
ETpilot

Thanks mustangman. This will beat how I carried my rc stuff. Finding tools n parts will be easy.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:48 PM
mustangman177

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips...flightbox+hell

I went the easy way out and used this idea.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Jennifer Curtis

That strip there between the top and bottom drawers,
cut it out. It will catch propellers and other stuff so the
bottom drawer won't open. Make the face of the top
and bottom drawers meet so there is no gap for stuff
to fall out.

Make the top tray so the bottom of it is flush with the
top of the top drawer for the same reason.

Leave enough of a gap on the side of the drawer
to put a thin wedge of rubber, either inside the box
at the back or on the drawer near the front. The
rubber should jamb slightly when the drawer is
closed so that it doesn't slide open when driving
around curves on the way to the airfield.

I like the transmitter hook.

I don't see a battery. Where does it go?

Jenny
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM
ETpilot

Mustangman that is some thread. I did not read it all but did look at lots of pictures. Thanks for the link. I do have a B&D tool box but it has 80-90 pounds of tools. That box has flown many a mile with me and also has ridden many a mile in my truck. There is always a TO DO list when I visit with family.

Jenny thanks for sharing those tips. Good point about drawer jamming. I will have to think about removing that center strip. I was going to use that strip for a drawer lock. Plus there is no divider between the drawers so if bottom drawer jams I can remove the top drawer to clear it. Top tray will be flush with top of top drawer. A propeller box will go behind transmitter. Transmitter will get a Velcro strip around the bottom to help secure it. The battery will go in the top tray. It will help with the balance and be easily retrievable.

Working on on the drawers now so will have to give your tip some thought. Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Calvinman

I like your design ETpilot. I built mine from 1/4 inch subfloor plywood which is only $10 Canadian(More now that our dollar is in the dumpster). I will try to post some pics later. I placed my battery and power panel where you have your transmitter and my fuel where you have yours, this balances out my box nicely. I have no drawers, but seeing yours makes me want to add some. I used an aluminum mop handle for my handle and ran the wires to my pump through it. I think a coat of epoxy on yours will bring out the grain of that nicely weathered wood you used.

Calvi
Old 07-11-2015, 09:58 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have box very similar to that. It works good. I've used it for over 30 years. When you start loading with equipment it will get heavy fast. One of the guys in my club built mine. He put another hinged door over the 2 sliding doors to keep then from sliding out on there own.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 PM
ETpilot

I got to do a little more work on the flight box. The drawers are done except for the drawer faces. The top tray is free floating in grooves cut into the vertical supports. If I ever get a Murphy's Law drawer jam I can remove the back side, remove the top tray and have access to the drawers. The drawer dividers are compression fit. So I can change them out if needed.

I still need to add the drawer faces, the drawer lock and the prop box. The top tray I will leave as is until I figure out how to divide the space. Then it needs a top coat. Calvi I may test your idea of a clear coat on some scrap wood n see how it looks. I was going with paint and a top coat.

Yes, as you add equipment it will get heavy. My solution, if needed, is my hand cart.

Thanks for your comments.

Views:	166
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	2108582   Click image for larger version

Views:	150
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2108583   Click image for larger version

Views:	130
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2108584   Click image for larger version

Views:	130
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2108585  
Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think about adding a simple drawer retainer device to prevent the drawers from shaking open in transit or falling open while the box is being carried. Add a small piece of plywood or hardwood about 2" long by 3/8 " wide with a small wood screw right in the middle, mounted horizontally between both drawers. Tighten the screw just enough so the wood block can still be turned 90 degrees to a vertical position to keep the drawers closed in transit. Paint the block a bright contrasting color so you can easily see if the drawers are "locked". BTY, nice job on the box.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:56 AM
Calvinman

Here are a few pics of my flight box. It is made of 1/4" material so it is all held together with epoxy. I went to the lumber store and found some trim to use as "triangle stock" to gusset the corners with.

Name:	P7111054.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2108631   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7111056.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2108632   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7111057.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2108633   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7111058.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	2108634   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7111059.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2108635  
Old 07-12-2015, 03:56 AM
ETpilot

Larry thanks. I am using a drawer lock similar to what you describe. My drawer faces will not be flush with the drawer opening. They will just cover the opening and will sit a bit proud. After I add the drawer faces I can then see about the lock.

Calvi that box looks really good. Nice finish. I will also hang tools on the inside face of the vertical supports. Quarter inch stock would have been good for my box but I did not have enough in stock. This box is built out of scrap stock I have in the shop.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:42 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

This is is just a short story about my modeling career, meant to amuse, not to make a statement. I just wanted to share this kind of like a memorial to several of my modeling friends that have gone on to the eternal flying field in the sky.

One of my mentors (RIP), said that there was an evolution that all modelers go through as they progress in our sport. You start with a paper sack or card board box. Then you come up with a small box, because you have a few new things. Then comes the special box that holds everything you could possibly need. Then, he prophesied that towards the end of ones modeling career, he would "progress" to a card board box.

I started flying RC in 1985. I showed up at the flying field with everything I owned in a small paper sack. I built several boxes the last one being so big and so heavy that it I could barely lift it. But, it had everything I could possibly need - tools, starter, spare parts, 2 big 12 volt batteries. I think maybe jimmy Hoffa was buried in there somewhere. Then comes the trailer. What a great decision that was! I open the trailer and it's like having my shop right there at the flying field. The last time I went flying, I put one plane in my pick-up, set my gas can in the back and set my transmitter in the front seat. On the way home I realized OMG, Robert was right.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Calvinman

Amen Red Raider, the great circle of life.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:52 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

When you fly glow, gas and electric the field box can't be big enough. I use a lawn mower battery for the engine starters, have a huge box on rolls. The fuel jug will not fit. I haven't found my solution yet.
But that is a nice box to start with...
Old 07-14-2015, 02:11 PM
ETpilot

I, too, have graduated from the cardboard box. And so I build this flight box. Just an update. I got the drawers done. The locking tab is spring loaded. To lock pull tab out n rotate 90* then spring tension hold drawers closed and locking tab in place. I did not include drawer knobs. I believe I can open drawers with my fingers. Will test this out when drawer is full. I can add knobs later. The prop box will hold a few props. Foam on the bottom protects the tips and Velcro above will help secure them. I think it will work.

Now it just needs a little sanding and final finish. Glad I'm done with this one

Views:	88
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2109204   Click image for larger version

Views:	81
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2109205   Click image for larger version

Views:	95
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2109206  
Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM
ETpilot

I was going to let this thread fade away. Calvi's suggestion of a clear coat got me thinking his way. I used a very old can of spar urethane. It came out pretty good so thought I'd share a picture.

Views:	131
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2109866  
Old 07-18-2015, 06:00 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ETpilot, The finished product looks very nice, however now you need to "junk it up" with some stickers!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:56 AM
ETpilot

Larry still no stickers will have to work on that.

Yesterday was was a milestone for me. First time taking the flight box n airplane to the club. Also first time flying solo at the club. My re-entry to RC flying is complete.

The flight box worked good as intended. It held the plane for the road trip. I didn't have an RC battery so I used a lawn mower battery I recently purchased.

Views:	155
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	2113036  
Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Calvinman

Looks good ETpilot, I gotta get some drawers in mine!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:00 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

On your wing, did you paint the Coroplast?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:23 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
On your wing, did you paint the Coroplast?
Yes wing and the blue on the tail. I used Home Depot Behr latex paint. Brushed on and top coated with Deft poly. I was testing it for glow fuel and it is holding up well. After a flight session the right wing is coated pretty good. I didn't prep the blue wing wrap area. So it has gotten chipped putting on the rubber bands. The wing n tail are holding up well. I can only buy white Coro so it needs a little paint.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I used to use a Sig Field Boss and its a great box but after many years i decided i was carrying way too much stuff so i downsized to an older CG box and cut the sides off (sections where the fual and power panel go)

Now I carry only what I really need and use a separate starter box for the battery and fuel.

usually the tools stay on my truck unless i really need them and the fuel tote only comes to the flight station.

i will post pics when i get home later.

Bill S.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:55 AM
ETpilot

I figured my flight box would get heavy over time. I've been adding things I want to take and made it a bit heavy. So now I have a separate tool box to keep in the vehicle for things that may be needed. The flight box has only the things needed for flying. It is working out great.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is a good idea. Keep the non-essential stuff in a separate box so that you don't have to carry it all to the flight line each time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.