Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

what you have learned over years , to Keep your Glo planes flying reliably

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

what you have learned over years , to Keep your Glo planes flying reliably

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:54 AM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly a Futaba 7 channel Rx on 72 mgz ( T 7cap ),and stay with it as i have never had a radio glitch or radio problem ,in over 20 years of flying , two cycle glo ,
That is my newer Futaba radio ,i am using for about 8 years
I bought the radio a few months before the newer 2.4 radios came out, not knowing that was going to happen
The last computer 7 channel radio i flew for about 15 years was one of the very first computerised radio that Futaba came out with , a 7 UH and the thing just kept on working strong
I am amazed by the performance i have gotten from my Futaba equipment ,so why in the world change it
Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM
tony0707

When i started flying in 1980 ,there were no 4 stroke glo engines made and the only gasoline engine ,i would see were 2or 3 Zenowa G- 62's ,or maybe a very low powered Quadra ,at the field
There was a few trying to fly electric ,but did not have the batteries to suport ,any flight times
So you flew 2 cycle glo ,and built you planes from kits as there were only one or two ARF's made atbthat time
The 120 size Diablo , EZ kit , with an OS 1.08 ,was one of the biggest airfames and one of the hottest flying aircraft at the field , and a very light foam consruction ARF
i have a 40 size EZ diablo with a 50 ST , i still have from those years ,that was given to me by my instructor ,that is one Hot airplane
The inceased size of the planes and the power plants available now ,is simply amazing today
The sky is the limit ( get it) as to the money you can spend on the hobby today
Funny though , it is how well you fly , what ever it is you fly that is what it's about ,not how much you spend to impress you flying buds
Although that has been fun to do from time to time over the years

Last edited by tony0707; 01-03-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 AM
tony0707

My first 15 or so years ,i spent flying at the Aerodrome in Cedar Creek Park in Seaford , L I N Y
I was flying with the enginneers from Gruman ans Sperry aircraft factories ,that were building Space Shuttles during the week and flying RC , when they had the time ,on the weekend
To say this is an Elite group of aircraft enthusiasts , is putting it mildly and made for some very interesting thought , conversation and interaction ,in the hobby
Old 01-04-2016, 01:52 PM
tony0707

One of my basic thoughts on building a sound airframe

The fact that the wing ,stabulizer and fin all need to be - Rigid --with as little FLEX in them as is possible
The wing will always gets wing webbing , with the grain of the wood , from top to bottom ( 40 size 1/16 60 size 1/8 ) between the the wings leading edge , Spars
The idea is if the wing flexes ,it will cause the alereons to flex
If the stab flexes ,the elevator will flex
I have flying wires on all my , less than very stiff stabs and fins
Removing surface flex should allow ,only your RX input to be the inflence driving your your control surfaces, that are dealing with forces ( speed and wind ) that are always acting on all the surfaces of any airframe
The Great planes 60 size Ultasport ,The Sig 60 size Super Chaos and the 60 size Tiger two ,to mention a few ,all have a very rigid airframes ,and that is a big part of why they track so well
Too much flex in control surfaces ,is flutter , that will Break a control surface servo ,causing the plane to go in ,if not identified immediately
Once you hear flutter , hopefully on someone elses plane , you will not forget the sound ,it is a nasty sound
It sounds ,mostly like a bicycle ,with a paying card in it wheel , like we did when we were kids ( or i did )
Reduce you air speed ASAP and bring the plane in ,before you loose it ( to the gods )

Last edited by tony0707; 01-04-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:45 PM
tony0707

The two cycle engines ( series ) i have experienced in the days ,i have been flying RC

OS FSR series

45 one of the lightest , strongest engines in this size
60 strong engine
FSR series are more of an RPM engine as they run a smaller prop at higher RPMS than the SF series that followed

OS SF series

46 great engine forba 40 size airframe
61 is a long stroke engine ,and one of my favorite in this size , as it turn a good size prop
1.08 could be the very best glo engine for 120 size airframe , ever made !
The ringed engines ,will repair easily with a ring replacement ,and just keep on running
The SF series is a bit milder engine than the FSR series ,and extremely user friendly
This is the series that was released ,when i first started flying

46 FP a used first engine i had on my 40 size Avistar ,that was the plane i chose to be my trainner

OS FX series
75 my only FX engine ,but the power this engine puts out is just outstanding and the most
One of the very best engines for a 60 size airframe
91 FX A 91 size engine ,in a 61 size engine case ,so it is light
You will need to allow for prop clearence ,using it on a 60 size airframe
1.60 great running ,user friendly engine, easy to like

ST engines

45 good power
51 one of the strongest engines in this size and the largest engine you would want to put in a 40 size airframe ,due to nose weight limitations ,that will prevent you from having a good flying plane
61 do not like this engines power output
75 do not like this engines power output
St is a bit less user friendly ,a long break in ,but the 51's power will make you love it
It almost has 60 power , in my opinion ,in a smaller engine

ASP engines

46 A little short on power but good engine to learn on ,inexpensive
75 ASP ABC , my engine of choice for many years on my 60 stik
This engines is a copy of the OS 60 FSR ,bored out to 75
I use an OS 7D carb from an OS 1.08 engine ,as it drops right in
Puts out great power ,but i went to an OS 75 FX and stayed with that

Webra Engines

60 Silverline power is about as good as a strong 46 ,but turns a slightly larger prop
I use it in my favorite trainner ,a PT - 40 ( 40 size )
61 Speed The strongest 60 size engine i know of
It is a long stroke ,and turns the same prop as my OS 61 SF ,1000 more RPMS than it
The slide type carb is just imposible to use
I have a newer TN 2 carb ,and love this engine
i have it in my Tiger two 60 size

Moki

1.80 very powerful and real well made engines ,very reliable for the long haul
Moki is a good engine for the 1/4 scale airframes

Evolution

46 the power of this engine was a surprise to me ,very powerful
i paid $25 for it at a swap ,as the masses just seem to overlook this brand
52 strong engine ,as well
These engines are inexpensive for the power and quality they put out

These are the engines i have had a good deal of run time on ,and have been very happy with the results
Enjoy

Last edited by tony0707; 01-08-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM
tony0707

Bump this up