Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dummy brakes for a cub, scratch build

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dummy brakes for a cub, scratch build

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dummy brakes for a cub, scratch build

Making parts for a scale super cub has been a chore, the brakes were fun and look almost real, plane is 1/4 scale.

First is the rotters, made from a brass disc with a collar soldered to it, then a raised styrene disc was glued to it using styrene solvent and also added a drop of medium CA in the holes on the back. Disc size was based on the wheel hub size.

Caliper mount is brass with a collar soldered to it to secure it to the axle, the rest of it is styrene. I had pictures to guide me and changed the look to a single piston for effect. These calipers can have a rear pad design so I counter sunk the two bolt holes for a rear bracket for another brake pad. some calipers are made with that option and requires making a different style brake disc, I chose the easy one.

Hose is rubber wire sheathing with the wires pulled out and an aluminum collar is forced on the end. For mounting the hose I used a 70 thread machine screw with a nut screwed half way up and screwed it in a hole in the caliper, tightened the nut and cut the head off then screwed the hose on the rest of it and then crimped the collar, it looks good.

I have found a lot of these things are not hard to make if your looking for scale, I used a picture but these small tutorials may help others looking for ways to start something like this.

Enjoy,

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0735.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2151387   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2151388   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0739.jpg