Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rehinging Rudder on a Foamie

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rehinging Rudder on a Foamie

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Champstarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rehinging Rudder on a Foamie

Hi everyone,

recently in transport the rudder to my e-flite P51 Blondie (deflection surface) came clean off the plane. The only piece holding in together is the pushrod attached to it's control horn. What is the best way to rehinge it? Do I run a piece of hinge/strapping tape down the seam/gap as I deflect it to one side. I would of posted this on the wattflyer site but there really isn't a board for repairs or how-tos.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2016, 06:55 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That is probably the exact route I would go as long as it looks like it will hold the fin rudder in alignment well.

I am assuming this plane doesn't go 100 mph
Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Champstarr

Originally Posted by foodstick
That is probably the exact route I would go as long as it looks like it will hold the fin rudder in alignment well.

I am assuming this plane doesn't go 100 mph
Nope, not yet anyway.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:54 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Down one side?

Not the best way.

Problem with foam and tape is how long will the tape hold. Running the tape down one side doesn't stress the tape when the surface is deflected away from the side that is taped, but when the surface is deflected the other way it tries to untape the hinge line. No matter how well the tape sticks to the foam it either pulls away from the foam or pulls up some foam.

When you have tape that sticks good, turn it into "cloth hinges" (from model airplane ancient history).

Those hinges were just strips of cloth. You can do the same with sticky tape and not have to deal with the glue. Use whatever tape sticks the best. It's easy, doesn't take much time, and makes very strong and durable hinges.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sticky tape hinges.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2169258  

Last edited by da Rock; 06-23-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:28 AM
Mikester
My Feedback: (1)

I have installed CA type hinges by cutting the slots with an exacto knife and using foam safe CA glue applied to the hinge before you slide it into the slot.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:00 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easiest way: Use Blenderm brand clear surgical tape. Sticks very well.
Hold Rudder in place but deflected about 30 degrees. Apply tape to opposite side I.e., if deflected to the right, place tape on left. Same on opposite side. By deflecting first you take care of the "stretching/binding" problem. Good ole blenderm is good for lots of little repairs on foam.