Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on new cordless drill...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help me decide on new cordless drill...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me decide on new cordless drill...

My old trusty craftsman cordless drill has died on me, I can go through the hassle of getting it warranty replaced; but i'm opting for new. I currently have a nice mid priced Dewalt wired drill, but i need the convenience of cordless back.

I have narrowed my choices to these 2 cordless drills, they have comparable reviews and exactly same price...

Help me choose one and list why or suggest another model that is equivalent to these to. My corded drill will be used for the heavy duty stuff, this is more for the workbench and field.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DDB181-...olguyd-20&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD771...olguyd-20&th=1
Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a tough question to answer. Both companies produce quality tools. I have tools from each company. That said, I would go with the DeWalt drill. It gives you 200 more in rpm and has 20V of power.

I have a very old DeWalt hammer drill. I mean old. When the batteries run out I debate do I buy batteries or buy new drill. This drill is so good I buy batteries. I'm on my third set. The batteries last a long time. Anyway, I vote DeWalt.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:32 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a huge Dewalt fan. I used them to make a living and abused the heck out of them. I had to give up the construction job so I do not need the heavy duty tools any more. Yet I do need tools as I do things around the house. If you are just using the drill for average stuff. Drilling up to 1/2 inch holes with drills and 1' holes with spade bits, driving screws and such. The Black 7 Decker 20v drill works pretty well. I bought the set that has the drill, circular saw, sawzall flash light. I can not believe how long the batteries last.

https://www.amazon.com/Decker-LDX220...cker+20v+drill

I bought the impact driver for all of the big driving jobs. Makes driving 3 1/2" screws super easy.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...+impact+driver

Between the two, Dewalt every time.

Buzz.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have this one and love it because it is small powerful easy to control both speed and accuracy and fits in a lot of places. A charge also lasts a long long time. I use this one just for hobby, and have a 15 year old Ryobi 18v I still use for everything else.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-8-V...108L/205105605
Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither! Use Bosch at work, and they are definately ok. Dewalt, since taken over by Stanley, has gone downhill. Just like many or most of the things that have gone downhill since being aquired by Stanley. My own personal opinion is for value and such, great warranty would be the Ridgid line at Home Depot. Seem to always be on sale, and many of us in our shop have them and use them on a daily basis with no problems to date. And some of these get really abused. My statement about teh Ridgid only reflects the 1/2" drill and impact driver in 18V. Bonus is you can buy many other tools that use thesame battery. Just my $.02.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
I have this one and love it because it is small powerful easy to control both speed and accuracy and fits in a lot of places. A charge also lasts a long long time. I use this one just for hobby, and have a 15 year old Ryobi 18v I still use for everything else.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-8-V...108L/205105605

I'll second Ryobi, I bought a Combo set 15 years ago I used hard for work and hobby, they all lasted great, until 2 years ago the switch went out on the circular saw,, still works,, wont shut off,, easy fix,, the sawsall finally died last year, and the Drill just started after 15 years of use started to act up, I think the switch is going bad.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have that Dewalt. It's a nice piece. The battery's are way better than the NiCad version Dewalt I replaced.

david
Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM
GSXR1000

I made my choice, I went with this Ryobi kit http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...1874/205907842; that can be upgraded with more tools in the future...
Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If you're looking for a good drill for hobby use, I've found this one to be a good choice. It's 12 volt, has a decent amount of power, obviously it's reversible and clutched, has a high and low speed switch and, like some of the other drills shown above, uses a common battery with other tools in the product line. With the battery installed, it's only 2.2lbs so it's not going to wear out your arm. Max speed is 1300 RPM and it's max torque is 195 in-lbs.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, I like that Craftsman Nextec. Shoot another desire to buy another drill. When I'm dead they're going to wonder why I have so many glow engines and so many drills. With three Dremels, one drill press, two corded professional drills, I'm still not satisfied with what I have for drilling servo screw holes, and elevator horn mounting holes. Drives me nuts (sorry). But that looks compact and capable. The problem I have with the Dremels is that the start speed is 5000. Good luck hand holding it and getting the hole exactly where you want it. The problem with the corded drills is how bulky they are. I might take a look at that Craftsman, and just purpose it for light duty.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a small Makita set, drill and impact driver. I have arthritis in my hands, so I wanted a light weight type. It is strong enough for projects around the house, but comes in handy for modelling too. Battery is a little smaller than some, which keeps the weight down, but all that means is if you are doing a lot of work with it you change the extra pack out of the charger now and then. A nice feature is it will stand upright on its base, you don't have to lay it down. Only thing I don't like is the silly light doesn't point at the work, so it's worse than useless. But I love the drill and driver.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

If you like that drill, Tom, check the rest of this out:

And that's not even all of them yet
Old 02-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Nah, think only the drill is doing it for me, the rest of that is chaff.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Milwaukee beats them all hands down.

Dennis
Old 02-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,
After some research on the web I decided on the Craftsman/Nextec 12.0 Volt Li-Ion Cordless 3/8" Drill/Driver mentioned previously in this thread. For reference, the Model Number is: 17586 and the Operators Manual calls it- Model No. 320.10003. These numbers include the drill/driver itself, a 12.0 Volt Li-Ion Battery Pack and companion Charger. The drill/driver features a 2-Speed gearbox, variable speed, 18-position clutch , keyless chuck in a compact 2.2 lb package. The retail price was $ 40 USD at a local Sears mall store with a 1-Year warranty This replaces my 30-year old cordless Skil drill, at about double the price, with none of the features on the Nextec. My arthritic wrist will also appreciate the 2.2 lb weight and compact design. I look forward to using it on my modeling and home improvement projects. .
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 AM
GSXR1000

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
All,
After some research on the web I decided on the Craftsman/Nextec 12.0 Volt Li-Ion Cordless 3/8" Drill/Driver mentioned previously in this thread. For reference, the Model Number is: 17586 and the Operators Manual calls it- Model No. 320.10003. These numbers include the drill/driver itself, a 12.0 Volt Li-Ion Battery Pack and companion Charger. The drill/driver features a 2-Speed gearbox, variable speed, 18-position clutch , keyless chuck in a compact 2.2 lb package. The retail price was $ 40 USD at a local Sears mall store with a 1-Year warranty This replaces my 30-year old cordless Skil drill, at about double the price, with none of the features on the Nextec. My arthritic wrist will also appreciate the 2.2 lb weight and compact design. I look forward to using it on my modeling and home improvement projects. .
Rgds,
Art ARRO
I went with something in the middle, I still have my corded Dewalt for Heavy Duty Jobs, but I needed cordless to be able to hand house stuff has well as hobbies stuff.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

I have and 18v Craftsman Professional drill/driver and trim saw set. Bought it almost 20 years ago for my job, never had a complaint. I have worn out three battery packs, in that time but, considering how hard I've used it at times, that's a small price to pay. For the record, the set was made by Ryobi. I bought my first Nextel set, including a drill, light, battery and charger at Costco, for around $60. Liked it so much that I bought, over time, several more of the tools and spare battery packs. I like them because I can take them to the pond or, more often, to work for when I get the chance to work on my boat builds there.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-08-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 PM
adamic39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen! Milwaukee Fuel m18 is better than any DeWalt I've ever used.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by adamic39
Amen! Milwaukee Fuel m18 is better than any DeWalt I've ever used.
Been phasing out everything corded or cordless in favour of the Milwaukee brand. Blows any of them I have ever had including DeWalt pro stuff out of the water. Just got a brushless 7.5 inch circular saw talk about a nice well built tool.

Dennis