Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Smooth and Graceful Landings

Old 07-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by j.duncker View Post
You know all these 'experts' you see making these unbelievably smooth and straight take offs and landings.

Many of them will be using an electronic aid, gyro control of rudder and elevator.

Shhh it is a secret.

By a cheap switchable gyro and have a play. You will look so smooth.
Not me, the boats don't have room for servos
Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Lee Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will definitely try this but I have to tell you, the guy that taught me (a million years ago) instructed me to never use elevator during landing runs. He said if you need elevation to use the throttle. In other words speed equals lift.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know what type of planes that would work well on but certainly none I have ever flown in the last 36 years. While the faster a plane goes the more likely it is to climb, we are talking landing speeds here where too much speed is not your friend. If a plane is descending too steeply in the final turn my experience has been that additional throttle makes the bad thing happen even faster minus the requisite elevator input.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Lee Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had good luck with staying off the elevator during landings. I will try what they suggest. Cant hurt a thing
Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first instruction told me something similar, that the throttle controls sink rate and the elevator controls speed when landing. He was right in a sense, because if you find yourself sinking too fast after flaring pulling on the elevator won't smooth things out. But I've never heard of someone landing without doing anything with the elevator at all. Smooth landings are a combination of managing airspeed and getting the nose up the right amount.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:23 PM
Lee Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are right Jester in that it is definitely a combination of things. I am practicing on my sim. Back in the day I use to land with my mind in the cockpit and I did fairly well. Currently I am on the sim I am landing with the reverse brain (plane coming at me). I am planning to revert back to my mind in the cockpit during landings. I have thought more about what my long ago instructor use to say. He said, adjust the up trim for landing and "try" to stay off the elevator. In essence, that makes speed and glide angle critical