Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Light ply ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 03:52 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light ply ?

Where can I get the light ply like they have in China ARFS ? I have found it much lighter than "light ply " I can buy.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you really sure you want to use that stuff? Lite ply is nothing more than a sandwich of balsa between two pieces of thin plywood. Since you can't see the interior balsa, how do you know there's anything in the center or, not quite so bad, knot holes with nothing in them? I'd stick with good quality materials rather than going for something that has no real strength to it
Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fleet Farm, Menards, Home depot and most craft stores sell a plywood that is what I consider about minimum strength when comes to wanting some plywood without the weight of aircraft quality birch.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give National Balsa a call. Let us know what they say. A lot of us love the stuff you are referring to!!!!!!!! Funny how many respond to your question with an opinion...oh wait, that is standard on RCU.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozarth
Give National Balsa a call. Let us know what they say. A lot of us love the stuff you are referring to!!!!!!!! Funny how many respond to your question with an opinion...oh wait, that is standard on RCU.
It is standard because everyone has their own experiences with various subjects and products.
The OP asked about where he could get lite ply like the Chinese use in ARFs. That isn't really a question anyone can answer honestly unless the person answering knows where the plants that manufacture ARFs get their lite ply from. To keep the prices as low as they are, the lite ply almost has to come from someplace in China as other supply sources probably get theirs from plants close to where the balsa or birch are cut and processed. We all know how much aircraft grade ply is and most of the higher quality stuff comes from Finland

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-05-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried to track down a local supplier for the typical light ply.. not the Chinese ARF stuff. I couldn't find a way to buy it local other than the hobby shops, and sites. I do recall there was a wood supplier out in Oregon or Washington that stocked it.. I believe its also known as Italian Bending Ply...

I think Spruce Aircraft carries some light ply, but I think it would only be a deal if you live close enough to pick it up. Cutting and shipping made the price go quite aways up.