Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fuel Proofing Acrylic Paints

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fuel Proofing Acrylic Paints

Old 09-18-2018, 02:43 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Proofing Acrylic Paints

Am using Benjamin Moore white latex exterior paint for some trim work. (Works great on my home so why not, right?) Ran some tests and the paint itself is relatively gasoline resistant. However, after having spent almost a year building this plane, I'd like to be sure it will last a while. Recommendations I've read so far say to use MinWax polycrylic as a fuel proofer. Ran some tests and the poly gives the white a yellow (ugly) tinge. Trim is already painted so please don't recommend some other type/brand of paint. Just some type of topcoat that won't change the color and add some fuel proofing insurance. Any suggestions?

With the US EPA ruining/regulating some of our building supplies (read: MonoCote), companies going out of business (Solartex), and the upcoming tariffs, I've got the feeling that, at my age, this will probably be my last build of any consequence so I'd like to get it as close to right as I can. Been working on it for almost a year.

TIA, G42
EDIT: Subject line should say "Latex Paints".....sorry

Last edited by golf4two; 09-18-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Subject line
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

This works well to seal from staining and even the sheen, comes in Gloss and Satin, Glow fuel proof if using with the crosslinker,, I use it either way

https://www.systemthree.com/products...ethane-topcoat

I haven't noticed and yellowing at all

Old 09-19-2018, 06:30 PM
bunsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

As an FYI there is a thread on RCSB where the builder of a 1/5th Scale OV-10 Bronco, is using Water based Modern Masters Master Clear Supreme clear over Latex. It is in the Scratch Build Forum area.

Have not used it myself but might be worth a look.

Other option would be Klass Kote Clear which also works over Latex

Cheers

Ray
Old 09-24-2018, 01:57 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guys, will check them both out.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:29 AM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a side note on the SystemThree paint. I use this paint exclusively for my models (it's the same as the old Nelson's Hobby paints). I did some testing and found that the cross-linker which you can buy separately works with other paints besides SystemThree. I've used it with Min-Wax Polycrylic Water-base clear polyurethane and it gives a crystal clear, fuel-proof finish just like the SystemThree Clear Overcoat does. It brushes well, too.