Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Engine Test Stand Mods

Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Test Stand Mods

I made this engine test stand when I got back into RC. The engine, with muffler installed, can be easily attached to and removed from the stand. Overall it has been a good engine stand. With use, though, I found it needed some mods done to it.

On the original build, I made the manual throttle actuation out of wood. While it worked good it had problems. I added an idle speed stop screw for setting engine idle speed. Every time I moved the throttle to idle, the screw would dig into the soft wood leaving a hole and erratic idle setting. So my first mod was to make the throttle actuation out of steel. Now the idle adjustment screw hits a steel surface and provides for a good idle speed setting. In the remake, the throttle pushrod came out too short. So I cut it and made a 2 piece adjustable throttle pushrod. So far it works good.

Next mod. I found that working with these engines you may have to start them a few times. This required getting the glow igniter out often. So I added an onboard glow igniter. Flip the wooden handle forward powers the glow plug. Flip it back and power turns off. I tested it today. Used some old fuel and engine a bit hard starting. But it finally ran. Glow igniter a good add on. I have to tidy up the wiring.

One more mod to do. But got I got involved in a big, time consuming, project so this mod is on hold. When I get it done Iíll add to this thread.

This is just FWIW. It works for me.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats a pretty elaborate test stand you made there sir, I just picked up a Tatone test stand for tower last year for twenty bucks or so and just mounted it to piece of 1x6 deck board and a little perch for the tank which sets on foam rubber and is rubber banded in. i Use some clamps to clamp it to the table when I am running my engines.
Michael
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, just making it more convenient to use. Safety wise, I use it with my workmate workbench. The bottom of the stand is like an I beam. So the stand has to slide on the workmate. No chance for it to twist off. Itís held in place with the workmate vise and the hand clamp is just added security. I also add a piece of heavy railroad track to make sure the whole setup cannot flip over. You can see that piece in the second picture.

The Tatone stand was one I looked at when I was designing this stand.

Iíve been pretty busy with all kinds of projects so no time for any RC work.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Pylonracr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice. My test stand is a piece of plywood with a Dub Jett mount on it. A couple of pieces of wood and some foam hold an old fuel tank to it, and a couple more pieces of wood hold the end of the tuned pipes. After probably 75 race engines for racers around the country it is getting pretty oil soaked. I will need a new piece of wood soon.... I have one 426 engine and one Dub Jett Fan Jett 50 to break in tomorrow. the race engine came up from Woodland Davis, the Fan Jett is one of 12 made that I have been wanting for many years. I finally found one.

My test stand is quite ugly, but it works. It really is time for a new one, but this old piece of crap still works..........

Scott
Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Pylonracr View Post
Nice. My test stand is a piece of plywood with a Dub Jett mount on it. A couple of pieces of wood and some foam hold an old fuel tank to it, and a couple more pieces of wood hold the end of the tuned pipes. After probably 75 race engines for racers around the country it is getting pretty oil soaked. I will need a new piece of wood soon.... I have one 426 engine and one Dub Jett Fan Jett 50 to break in tomorrow. the race engine came up from Woodland Davis, the Fan Jett is one of 12 made that I have been wanting for many years. I finally found one.

My test stand is quite ugly, but it works. It really is time for a new one, but this old piece of crap still works..........

Scott
I think I may have looked at that test stand, too, when designing this one. I like the fact that the engine is pinned to the stand. I added pins to my stand. Plus I made it adjustable for different engine sizes. If I ever get into rear mount engines I can make an adapter to attach those engines to the stand. It will be a long time before this one wears out. Fuel is not affecting the wood so far. I appreciate keeping things a long time. Good luck with those engine break in.