Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

help w/ parachute

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

help w/ parachute

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Covetski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help w/ parachute

well, the tail will probably fall off by the time that the parachute is deployed, unless the flap flew off, in which case, it may still stay on. There are very few occasions of which I can think in wich the damage can cause failiure. but I guess putting it in the tail won't be too bad either, the only logically efficient way I can come up with for packing though woud be to have the top pushed in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79653.gif
Views:	51
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	113226  
Old 03-20-2004, 01:03 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi mike

there is a set up that is still sold and I think will handle up to a 60 size plane. I recently saw an ad in either model aviation or rc modeler. you might search the ads in these. If I can locate it will reply on it for you.

good luck and good flying

joe
Old 03-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Covetski

thanks for the info, I'll look for it, I didn't bother searching for it before since so many people said it wasn't sold anymore.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
scottfl78

My 2 cents... If you really want to put a chute on it you could try this.... Don't know how quick it would open though.... No recovering with a parachute at 10 feetthough... Make sure after you click the picture that you anlarge it by clicking the button in the lower right corner...
PS it will have a little drag cause the chute would be external but at least you dont have to worry about turning your Tx on with your flaps down (if you use that function/channel as your deploying mechanism) I turn on my Tx sometimes and my flaps go down... No biggie but if it were a rocket I would be blind and have a new hairdo
[img][/img]

Name:	Bz78064.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	119069  
Old 04-16-2004, 11:47 PM
FrankEscalle

With those little launchers for those little planes me and my friends used to shoot washers they were really powerful.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Kelley

Go to a forum that specializes in model rockets. Those guys deploy parachutes in every way imaginable. It should be easy to do, but I agree with everyone else, it’s not worth the time, money, weight, and effort. Besides, it still may not save your plane.

Remember, even with a parachute the plane probably will not land on the landing gear. If the chute comes out the rear the plane will land on the nose and then tip over on the wing. Something is going to break.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:44 AM
jak_kkaall

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although I'm not sure if the parachute will work, if it does, it would make a BIG difference between "something will break" and my plane is all over the place in hundreds of pieces. Youtube has many videos of rc airplanes breaking apart in the air in which case the only possible save is a parachute.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Marty79

Packing the Chute will make a huge difference on the speed that it deploys. One thing I figured out when I was a kid messing with those Estes Rockets, was never wind the parachute leads around the chute. Folding them in neatly with a piece of tissues separating layers seemed to work best. Also, a liberal amount of talc helped( and it really looked cool when it opened) .
Old 01-04-2015, 02:33 PM
jak_kkaall

Well, after days of working I've managed to make my biggest chute of all and an functional release system in a gas airplane. The chute is made from polypropylenne the one that we cover the furniture when painting the house, but not the softest, it is very light material. I've made it of 5m diameter so that an object (the plane in this case) of about 7-8kg will have no more than 2,5 - 3m/s descent rate. When I pack it its quite small. The plane is Great Planes 27% CAP 232. The chute is mounted in the cockpit. Long story short: two servos pull 4 pins, unlocking the reinforced canopy a spring pushes it up, the air does the rest, blows it of the plane and inflates the chute which has the ring on the 32 lines. This has been tested on the ground and it works. I've mounted the lines under the chute in an similar order as on the real chutes. Of course I didn't attached the chute directly on the airframe, I mounted 2 bolts in the landing gear wood block and an aluminium piece from them to the firewall. From here two strong elastic cords go trough the fuselage to the cockpit and another two non elastic cords with springs are the second and third impact absorbers. I've been dreaming at this system for many years but it seamed hard to realise. The entire weight of it is about 600g from which the chute is 450g. It was more like a challenge if I can do such a system.

Name:	DSC002411.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	2060639  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

W t f !!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 PM
jak_kkaall

isn't this a thread about parachute? Well there it is...and it looks great right? That's what you really meant no?

Last edited by jak_kkaall; 01-13-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 AM
jak_kkaall

Hello, since I have crashed 2 planes, and not looking forward to crashing a third time, I have come up with an idea to place a parachute inside. Can some one post the most effective way to install the parachute so that it opens up faster.

Thanks,
Mike

Here is a link to the thread in which at post 12 I've presented my own project of a home made parachute recovery system in a 8 kg gas plane which was tested on the ground.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...l#post11961259

My post is an answer to the person who started this thread and to those that, like me decided that for them it's worth making this project and carrying the extra weight. I've read all the threads about this and I'm aware about the scepticism. I'm not asking here anybody if it can be done or if it's worth doing it. I'm presenting it all done and working, I've made my decision if it's worth or not for me when I started building it. Maybe if I also had 10 gas planes I wouldn't bother on anything else than flying them. I'm addressing and want to inspire those that are interested. Thank you!

Last edited by jak_kkaall; 01-15-2015 at 03:33 AM.