Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

MonoKote?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 01:08 PM
BingoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MonoKote?

I have used MonoKote since the 60s but am having trouble covering a wing that has reflex built into it ( the low part simular to under-camber but on top). I used to have no trouble covering an under-cambered wing using silk and dope but am having difficulty with MonoKote.

What I have tried is attaching the covering to the cap striping in the low part of the reflex and then to the edges but when shrinking it pulls lose. I thought about using Balsa Rite but the cap strips are just simulated (3/32X1/4 balsa over foam) and was leery of the Balsa Right getting on the foam and eating it away.

I'm sure I am not the first to do this I just cant seem to get it right, any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:46 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MonoKote?

Sounds like one or two problems. You haven't removed all the dust from the capstrips so the MC is not reaching the wood just the dust, our your iron isn't hot enough and it's not bonding. Try a fresh tack rag for the first and higher heat for the seckond or you could use small brush would let the balsal lock stay on the wood and not on the foam.
HTH
Tom
Old 01-14-2004, 02:22 PM
J_R

What MajorTomski said PLUS if you are trying to shirnk it with a heat gun, keep your distance. You want just enough heat to shrink it. If you apply more, the adhesive will come loose.

If you have an accurate thermometer, you can check the heat gun at different distances from the thermometer and find out how far away to keep it. What you want is about 300 degrees F, not much more. Most guns are capable of close to 500 degrees at the tip. If you don't have a thermometer, move in slowly and watch. Take your time.

If you are shrinking it with the iron, turn it down after sealing the film to the wood, to where it shirnks, but keeps the bond to the wood.

JR
Old 01-14-2004, 10:32 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Don't tack the covering to the edge. After tacking it to the low part, just work the iron towards the edges from the low part allowing the covering to stick to the entire area. Just smooth the covering on like if you were painting it on.

Jesse