Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Newspaper tubes

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Newspaper tubes

Old 06-12-2002, 02:17 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newspaper tubes

The other day I needed a tube for running the receiver antenna inside a fuselage. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of searching for and ordering paper tubes, so I made one out of newspaper. Here's how:

Find a dowel of appropriate size (I used 3/8) and rub candle wax on it. Lay out some waxed paper on your table. Take a strip of newspaper 3-4 inches wide and saturate it with a mix of carpenter's glue and water. Then just roll the paper loosely on the dowel and let it dry for a couple hours. When it's dry it comes right off the dowel and weighs almost nothing. Then just glue it in the fuse. If you needed long ones you could join them together. This would probably work for servo leads in wings too.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:10 PM
rcalfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newspaper tubes

It also works using kraft paper. IMO they are stronger than those made from newsprint. Where to get kraft paper---ask the bagger at the supermarket to give you a couple of paper bags instead of the usual plastic. Regards.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:01 AM
Giant Scale

Default Newspaper tubes

Rocket body tubes work well for inside wings. If you need a large tube in the fuse to run multiple wires I have used the tube from a roll of monokote.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:09 PM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Default Newspaper tubes

I HAVE USED THE ROCKET TUBES WITH GREAT SUCCESS. A FLYING FRIEND OF MINE ALSO USED CLEAR PLASTIC TUBING. IT LIKE YOU GET AT HOME DEPOT. THE NEAT THING ABOUT THE PLASTIC TUBING IS IT WILL BEND IF NEEDED TO ROUTE THROUGH THE WING. AND IS CHEAP.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:30 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newspaper tubes

Aren't the rocket tubes kind of heavy for this use?
Is the plastic tubing thick-walled or thin? And what section of Home Depot are these in?
Old 07-16-2002, 09:50 AM
Giant Scale

Default Newspaper tubes

Tmoth4,
The rocket body tubes I used were about 1/2" in diameter and fairly light weight. I think I purchased a pack of 5 from tower hobbies.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:11 AM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Default Newspaper tubes

THE HOSE THAT HE BOUGHT WAS A THIN WALL WATER HOSE. I THINK HE SAID 1/2IN , CLEAR. HE ALSO SAID THAT CA HELD IN IN FINE.