Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Panel Lines, the best results yet!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Panel Lines, the best results yet!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panel Lines, the best results yet!

Whilst refurbishing my Spitfire and upgrading the engine from a Saito .91 to a Saito 100, I decided it was time to rework the nose of my World Models Spit XIV. This a a very kit bashed airplane and it was re-skinned before its first flight (I'm no longer a fan of World Models). Anyway, I glassed the fuselage, primed and painted it with Chevron Military Flats. This meant I would have to figure out a way to rework the nose to accommodate the longer more powerful engine and still have a convincing scale subject. After making the some rather severe cowl modifications, I decided to mask and paint the areas as panels (while referencing Squadron Publications panel line 3 view drawings) Each panel was primed separately; a technique so obviously simple I can't believe I never thought of it before! Each panel had a resultant primer ridge line around it, making a very convincing panel! Leave the panel line sharp, do not sand it! The beauty of this panel line method is that you don't get a double line panel like you would get if you used chart tape. After making and priming random panels all over the nose, I repainted it. The raised edges tend to break off and accent the panel lines. I am very pleased with the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18784.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	113269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37562.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	113270  
Old 03-19-2004, 10:20 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: Panel Lines, the best results yet!

A lot of guys use this technique. Nice to see you like it
Old 03-19-2004, 11:45 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Shihtzutan

Whilst refurbishing my Spitfire and upgrading the engine from a Saito .91 to a Saito 100, I decided it was time to rework the nose of my World Models Spit XIV. This a a very kit bashed airplane and it was re-skinned before its first flight (I'm no longer a fan of World Models). Anyway, I glassed the fuselage, primed and painted it with Chevron Military Flats. This meant I would have to figure out a way to rework the nose to accommodate the longer more powerful engine and still have a convincing scale subject. After making the some rather severe cowl modifications, I decided to mask and paint the areas as panels (while referencing Squadron Publications panel line 3 view drawings) Each panel was primed separately; a technique so obviously simple I can't believe I never thought of it before! Each panel had a resultant primer ridge line around it, making a very convincing panel! Leave the panel line sharp, do not sand it! The beauty of this panel line method is that you don't get a double line panel like you would get if you used chart tape. After making and priming random panels all over the nose, I repainted it. The raised edges tend to break off and accent the panel lines. I am very pleased with the outcome.

It's amazing how many times the bow and arrow shows up in archaeological history, supposedly "discovered" each and every time........

Enjoy your discovery.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:53 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

hey Zutan, don't worry about not being the firs one, there are no more "virgins" in this world anyway...

if half of the people new half of the stuff there is to know (i.e. knowledge) life would be much easier on this little planet... [8D]

anyway, I would like to know more about this technique, do you have any close-up shots and / or work in progress pics?

thanks in advance, Vasek
Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 AM
voyager_663rd

Ya know, reinventing the arrow. Sometimes the simpler way is the better way. Whether you take the time to "chart line" the panels or mask off as you did, either way seems ok (both somewhat time consuming).

Thanks for reminder.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:50 PM
rcamp

Things are "reinvented" all the time. But that doesn't mean that all of us have been made aware of the technique prior to it's current incarnation. So I'm glad to see others share their techniques anytime, I may not have heard of it or re-invented it yet myself. So I can't see any reason to discourage this practice.
As far as this particular technique, I think it shares a place with the chart pak tape. Sometimes you want panel lines that have some separation, such as doors and hatches. Othertimes, the panels would be a tight butt joint or overlap such that masking the entire panel results in a better representation. So I don't think one or the other technique replaces the other, they are complementary. My 2cents.
Robert