Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering on a cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering on a cowl

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:40 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering on a cowl

Well I'm finishing up a 27% extra kit, and can't seem to find a paint that will match my Monokote metallic blue. Lusterkote isn't even close, but found a testors one thats pretty close. Can I just use Monokote on the cowl? I was thinking the best way would use the heat gun, and strech it over the area I need, then cut to fit with a blade after its close. Heck I could tape off the area I don't want the covering on, so the extra overlap of covering just goes on the tape. I already have a base coat of paint on the cowl. Anyone tried this? how does fiberglass hold up to heat? how about lusterkote paint?

Don't wanna go to the body shop and get the paint mached stuff for $30-40 if I can avoid it. Besides body shops in NYC arn't too friendly, and arn't willing to go out of their way to help a guy with "toy planes"...

AVOID the MONOKOTE METALLICS PAINT! No where near matching....
Old 09-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Covering on a cowl

I lost the link but if you do a thrad search oyu could find it. It is an article on how to cover wheel pants with monokote. I think it was an article on a website of an RC magazine.

I hope thats vague enough for you. But maybe someone will remember the link.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Found it!!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1786459
Old 09-17-2004, 01:44 AM
edge 3644

Hi,
I did this trick using Solar Film on the cowels of my 27% Gileses G-202 and 25% Extra 300.
Sides of cowels were sprayed white (easiest to match foil colour on the fuse). Cowels bottoms sprayed too with automotive spray fairly matching colour of Solarfilm. Top was covered with Solarfilm. Edges of foil sealed with fuel proofer (automotive Duratene-K) which I also applied to sprayed surfaces. After few hundreds of flight on each models everything is still OK.
Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:14 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I do this all the time. If you go to my gallery the green Ultimate is Ultra Kote on the cowl and also on the wheel pants. But I have done it with Monokote also.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:16 PM
J_R

You can cover it with film, as other have suggested.

When you do go for automotive paint, don't go to the body shop. They get their paint from automotive paint suppliers. The suppliers sell retail as well and will cut your cost on the paint about in half. Great source for super fine wet and dry, sanding pads and all sorts of other neat stuff for models as well. Try the local yellow pages.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:17 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

So the monokote worked great.... Some of the black lusterkote came off the edges, so I needed to repaint that, and now the paint is turning out all silvery, and dull in random spots! AHHH!!! I'm pretty sure its the humidity, it is 96% today I guess I'll have to try painting again when it's not so humid!

~Andrew