Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Make your own Photo-Etched Parts!!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Make your own Photo-Etched Parts!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 02:19 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make your own Photo-Etched Parts!!

Now, how COOL is this!! Micro-Mark has done it again. I just received their latest catalog, and on the cover was something I just couldn't believe. They developed a system to create your very own high quality Photo-Etched parts right in the comfort of your own home. This is the coolest thing I've seen all summer, since seeing a plane fly under my own control Just so you know I am in no way affiliated with Micro-Mark. I wish I was. Anyway, as allways they include everything you need for the process. Also on the same page they have something called Etch Mate. Which you can use to create flat photo-etched parts into complex 3D objects. They never cease to amaze me. I know your asking how much, $119.95, which I think isn't bad at all considering how much you can spend on buying premade photo etched parts. Plus I think, the best part, is since you are creating them, you can make them to your exact specifications and design. Now how cool is that [8D] Unfortunately for me, I can't afford it at the moment. So its time to start saving my pennies. If anyones interested, I did find it on their web site. Here's the link
[link=http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83123]make your own photo-etched parts[/link]
If that doesn't work, just go to [link=http://www.micromark.com]Micro-Mark[/link] and type in the product number in the appropriate field, upper right hand corner: 83123
Hey, maybe they'll send me one for posting this Highly doubt it [&:] Anyway, if any of you happen to purchase one, Please let me know how it works out. I'd love to hear a review on this system. Maybe Minn can talk them into letting him do a review
Joe
Old 09-18-2004, 07:01 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Make your own Photo-Etched Parts!!

have fun with the ferric chloride[:'(] and be sure to hide anything you don't want taken away from you in the divorce...

dave
Old 09-18-2004, 07:39 PM
DustOffUH1

*Note: System contains chemicals that are highly caustic. Careful handling of these chemicals and good ventilation are prerequisites for this system.

Is that better Zagnut? Did you ever use dope to cover a plane? Do you ever paint with automotive paint? Do you ever use CA glue? I could go on and on and on, but I won't. If you don't want to use it then don't. No ones going to make you do anything you don't want to. Me, I like making cool stuff and will continue to do so. Safely
I have and I allways will use Excellent ventilation, and a respirator.
Joe
Old 09-18-2004, 08:38 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, i was just having some fun and yes i do use all of the above and believe me, ferric chloride is way nastier. use it outside. it's not so much the stench and the corrosiveness but the fact that anything it touches is permanently stained. good pal murphy can smell you using this stuff a mile away

if you are after DIY PCBs then you'll find many alternatives to that kit that will give the same or better results for a fraction of the cost. rcgroups.com has a few good threads on the subject in their DIY electronics forum. i like to use acids for etching, much cheaper and quicker.

dave
Old 09-18-2004, 09:17 PM
DustOffUH1

No problem Dave Sometimes I just can't tell if someone is just trying to be a SA. If you have any links to an alternative please let me know. I'd appreciate it.
BTW about 25 years ago I worked at Jovan, a perfume factory. That job didn't last long at all. Besides coming home with a nasty headache every night. My friends could smell me coming from a mile away [:-]
Old 08-18-2005, 10:03 AM
pbunn

Ferric Chloride is too much trouble - not really all that toxic - just nasty staining and will ruin any tool that it touches. I use ammonium persulfate to etch boards - cleaner but it must be heated to be fast etching. Most commercial boards are done with it.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do this years ago also, and it was to a different system and did not cost even 1/4 of the stated amount. Except for the etchant, I got materials from Naz-dar of Los Angeles. The Ferric Chloride was hopped up with addition of Hydrochloric acid. Then it took off.

Overall a time consuming process.

Wm.