Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Airplane repair and flying tips.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Airplane repair and flying tips.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Airplane repair and flying tips.

Does your plane need repairs, or maybe some work on the covering ?
Go to the RCU Magazine and check out all the cool articles. There's
something there for everyone. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/index.cfm?article_type=how-to]click here][/link] [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-18-2005, 04:34 PM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airplane repair and flying tips.

May I ADD. start asking the fellows at the flying field, they are the old time experts in most cases, they have been there and done it before ARF's. dick
Old 10-17-2005, 06:24 PM
dicknadine

Might add that RCU has BIT the Dust. no longer in publication. save those old issues for reference. they got caught in the money shuffle. sure will miss the articles by Ken Runstrand and the others. dick
Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Sunny_B

RCM bit the dust, not RCU.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
dicknadine

MY ERROR, the old fingers don't operate like the brain tells them to do anymore. can still slice balsa more than the fingers. ouch. dick stamm
Old 10-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Sunny_B

Dick, I understand the problem completely. I never let "my fingers do the walking" as I've learned they are not always walking where I want them to go. I read about your losses on another thread and want to extend my condolences. Hope you and your wife are healthy and comfortable.
Sunny_B
Old 10-20-2005, 12:57 PM
dicknadine

thanks or the kind words. we are better off than a lot of the folks in the Bay St. Louis area, they are still waiting for Fema Trailers and help from the Federal Govt, the local goverments are totally strapped, all their facilities, equipment were lost also, including manpower. however the Mississippi Gulf Coast will ARISE again. the guys are telling me that our flying field is being used as a dumping ground for the debre by the county. will send phots when and if I learn how to orerate my new camera, sure miss my old one, good old floppy style. dick
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

Might add that RCM has BIT the Dust. no longer in publication. save those old issues for reference. they got caught in the money shuffle. sure will miss the articles by Ken Runstrand and the others. dick
Does anyone know if someone will carry the plans they use to offer or can they still be bought? That stinks!!!! RCM was a class act.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:26 PM
MishaParem

Eh, the only repair article I found was the sheeting repair which I found extremely helpful now I do my covering repairs in a similar fashion (instead of the bed I stretch the covering about 0.5cm in each direction over the old covering. The other steps and advice helps remove sagging in the repaired covering.

I was wondering if anyone haad tip on repairing damaged ribs without adding too much weight. I tried reinforcing from both sides (too much weight) then from one side (lasted about one crash longer than doublesided reinforcements) but simply ripping them out and placing new ones resulted in a weak repaired rib.

I would also like to contribute a tip myself. On my second trainer (I still have a beat up wing from it) I was able to destroy a section of the leading edge during a crash. My solution was quite simple. I chopped out a generous section of the leading edge spar along with the damaged sheeting. I then filled the whole first third of the wing with high expansion foam from Home Depot I sanded off the excess foam and covered it with packing tape (It was late evening stores were closed, I wanted to fly the next day, and I had no covering) THe reapair lasted through the rest of the plane's life (I got it used and the hinges finally came loose becausee of fuel-soaked balsa).
Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 AM
imfly123

yes, ask the fogees like me and i can tell you all about the good ol' kit days.

http://hobby-estore.blogspot.com/atom.xml

hobby-estore is the worst online retailer..they just sell junk! never buying from them again.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:09 PM
fzeller

Hi There

I have covering comming off my plane at the seams. I want to find some good clear fuelproof tape to hold the covering on. I can't seem to find any. I would think that there must be some out there but can't find it. Can anyone help me. Thank You, Fred
Old 11-28-2006, 07:13 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the seams are coming up, just clean the area with alcohol and stick it down with CA
Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
davebart

This may be a new post but fits here. I am new to RC. On a couple of my planes, the covering is peeling along the edges and where it wraps over the edge of the wing. I had ironed it but now the ironing does no good since glow fuel and other contaminants prevent it from sticking down again. Is there any easy fix for this. I know that it is a common problem, it just has to be....

Thanks, Dave
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Do as MinnFlyer said in the post above you.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 PM
davebart

Thanks Campy, I will try that. I thought CA would affect the color of the covering.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
410onefor

I also heard clear nail polish works really well for this. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's worth a try.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Use a pin or very thin wire to apply the thin CA to the seam. Much easier to avoid getting runs and streaks this way. Just remove the cap off the CA bottle and dip the pin or wire in to get a small droplet and touch the seam. It helps to position the piece so the CA will run downward along the seam.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i read and article about prepping a foam model for paint, the guy put some kind of filler on the foam and sanded lightly to get smooth, paintable surface but i cant remeber where i read that. i got a foam p-51 i wont to paint instead of using the decals that came with it. anyone know where i can find some info on prepping a foam model? thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 PM
KitBuilder

RCM Plans Link:
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/index.htm...iqrd6YugA8b1i8

I have all my old issues... dating back to 77'. The newer mags just don't seem to have the different types of articles and definately not the content within them..... Also it seems whatever manuf pays enough money gets their product reviewed and it's always good... If RCM didn't like something, they flat out said it. Col. Art Johnson saved my plane once when I was 16, I was a member of the Gold Coast RC club back in 78' ... (my brush with greatness! - an outstanding person)
Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

great help on RCU , I just crashed my VQ p40 , needed the name of a tool that traces the outline of the good parts that are left , my question was not only answered "contour tool " but sources were listed on where to buy differant sizes
Old 09-12-2007, 03:19 PM
stilltryin

The best thing I've found for sticking down old covering is clear finger nail polish. Just clean the back of the film, put on a THIN film of finger nail polish, and press into place. Clean up with acetone and your done. If you want, you can use a rubber window film applicator to smooth down the film.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 PM
omally

Hi I have just got my hands on a built up but damaged Goldberg Cub, the stab\fin was broken off, damaging the tail end too, some of the stab surface where it was glued to the tail has been torn out leaving a 1 mili deep crater, could any of you fine folk have any suggestions on going about the repair, I don’t have much experience in building planes, but im sure ill pick things up quick with a little advice

Soz if this is the wrong place to post, im a newby to forums

Kind Regards
omally
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94277.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	763512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58956.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	763513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82042.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	763514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13231.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	763515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36377.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	763516  
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Wild Foamy

best way i find is:

cut back to the fresh wood (free from cracks and fractures) and cut a new piece of wood to fit into the gap

i.e. your photo, i would cut off the fractured wood in the rear end and replace it with wood of the same thickness, epoxy the tail back on and re-apply some of the covering

ive had to epoxy the tail onto my trainer countless times
Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 PM
justlift

Well i see you guys talking about covering well i am new just got a H9 pulse 60xt it has some wrinkles in the covering ween i got it toke them out with a hear dryer with no problem toke it to the fly field and ween i got it back home theirs was some air bubbles in the hatch. I toke a small needle and poked a hole it them and tried heating it with the hair dryer and with no luck the bubbles is st ell there it has got about three of them.

Now is this something that i have got to have and iron to take them out or am i not getting it hot en of to take them out some help would be nice the rest of the plane looks great except for the air bubbles in the hatch.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
shmikeuk

Hello all,
After attempting to fly my piper cup several months back, I made the classic newbie error of giving it too much elevator with not enough speed. The result was the plane climbing 5 feet, stalling, and coming down hard on the spinner. The damage can be seen in the below pics.

after learning to fly properly using a sim and a pz spitfire, I want to give this otherwise perfect plane another go, which means installing new bracings that hold the engine to the front bulk head. Because I did not make this plane, im not so sure how to go about this and would really appreciate some expert advice as how to tackle the repair. Would the best course of action to be remove the formed balsa of the nose section and take out the bulk head, or would it be possible to some how unstuck and pull out the old broken supports and slide in new ones and glue them in? is there anything in particular I need to look out for apart from having them put in straight?

Thanks for any help!!
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84200.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1010926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34989.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1010927  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.