Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Rustoleum cure time?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Rustoleum cure time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The owner of Nelson Paint is a professional yacht painter who uses System 3 paints everyday, he is also a modeler. He distributes System 3 paint to modelers as a fuel proof, water based alternative to Butyrate Dope, Klass Kote epoxy paint, and Lusterkote which are the only KNOWN fuel proof or resistant hobby paints (to my knowledge).

I have personally used dope, Lusterkote, and Hobby Poxy (similar to Klass Kote), as well as a few others that are no longer available. I can tell you that Nelson paint is far and away easier to use than any of them. Furthermore the finish is close to epoxy paints in so far as fuel resistance, hardness and gloss are concerned. A big plus is that due to it's water based composition it can be applied over a variety of other finishes without attacking them. I have tried to remove Nelson paint with raw dope thinner without success, I would say it is VERY resistant to chemicals. Nelson hobby paint is also much safer to use, both for yourself and the environment. It does have its quirks so be sure to do your research.

I am more than willing to pay a couple of bucks premium to Nelson paint to insure the product retains the qualities important to me. I'm confident he is well qualified to do so and is close enough to System 3 to be aware of changes in the paint formulation.

It's puzzling to me why these "Harware Store" paint threads are so popular and I am amazed by the number of modelers that risk their models by painting with these paints. It's clear that some do have great success, while others don't and end up with a big mess.

Seems like the classic "Long tunnel, no cheese" situation to me!

Last edited by 049flyer; 04-23-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:23 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the popularity of hardware store paint is because a lot of modelers don't want anything to do with learning how to spray paint, and having to buy all of the equipment and supplies needed to spray paint a small project.
Right now I need to paint a cowl, and this is the first time I needed to paint something in over 15 years. I plan on using what I can buy from the hardware store.
I had also tried the supposed brush on paint with a terrible outcome in the way the finish looked when dry..
It was mentioned to use paint intended for our particular use, but this is also not necessarily the answer either. I have read several threads on the use of Lustercoat, and the varying degrees of success that people have had with it. It seems as if the success rate is about the same as Rustolium.
I realize that there are those of you that cherish the painting part of the hobby, and then there those of us that don't give a rats azz about painting, and just want to get it over with.

Greg
Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care for Lusterkote myself. Too few colors, only fuel proof to 15%, only available as a spray and expensive. Nelson paint goes on with a foam brush, thins with tap water, fuel proof to 40% with the cross linker and is available in a multitude of colors.

I have not tried it on plastic though.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:17 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRookie
I guess the popularity of hardware store paint is because a lot of modelers don't want anything to do with learning how to spray paint, and having to buy all of the equipment and supplies needed to spray paint a small project.

Greg
Not necessarily so.

I buy my Rustoleum in quart cans, and spray it with my HVLP gun, using my 6 hp, 60 gallon compressor.

I find that Rustoleum provides a realistic gloss finish, for my scale models. The paint is easily accessable, and is user friendly.

These models were all painted with Rustoleum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2938.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	2091920   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3183.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	2091921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	2091922  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must have missed the part where I said that the casual painter doesn't want to buy all of the equipment necessary to paint with a compressor. I took a quick look at Horbor Freight, and to get a gun and compressor half the size of yours would be around $400.00 minimum. That is a lot of money to just paint a cowl and maybe my wheel pants. I do not like painting and am not looking for projects to paint, just to justify the initial cost of the painting equipment.
Even if you had the equipment, you still need to get proficient at using it. You may totally botch up a paint job in the learning process and have to sand everything down and start all over again. NO THANKS!
If you want painting and finishing to be a major part of your hobby enjoyment, more power to you. As for us casual painters, we will be on our way to the hardware store for our next painting project.

Greg
Old 04-26-2015, 04:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My gun was half the price you mention, and I purchased it a reputable source, not HF. I consider myself to be a "casual painter". I paint a few models every year. I'm certainly no professional painter.

Botching up a paint job on a cowl is no big deal. I use solvent to remove the paint. It's much easier than sanding.

I grant you that painting is a learned skill, but it's necessary if you are building models. Painting from an aerosol is similar to using a gun. In some ways, it's the technique and not the equipment.

This model was painted using Rustoleum aerosol cans.

Name:	m_DSCF3440.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	2092143   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3439.jpg
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	2092144   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3432.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2092145  
Old 04-26-2015, 04:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Good results can be had with rustoleum,, Yes as a cabinet maker I have been spraying with pricey HVLP equipment for over 20 years, so I do know the tricks,,, It can be a challenge for new guys but I agree with Tom. IMO The work and learning curve is worth the effort in the satisfaction that you have built a one of a kind model.

My recent Rattle can renovation,, with a little help from an airbrush set up,, to get a finer over spray line at the green over grey bottom, I sprayed the paint into a paper funnel, let it drip into the airbrush cup, then sprayed that to get a finer line. I've used that same technique with Lusercote because it sometimes sprays so crappy out of the can

Name:	102_3015.JPG
Views:	7943
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	2092149   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3014.JPG
Views:	7928
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	2092150   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_2987.JPG
Views:	8079
Size:	388.6 KB