Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

homebuilt low profile rc trailer project

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

homebuilt low profile rc trailer project

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:13 AM
jeyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: homebuilt low profile rc trailer project

Bandjc,

Great looking trailer, you have inspired me to try and build one. While I am not an engineer, I plan to use yours as a template. I do have one question tho' on your center shelf, what are you using on the shelf, I see it is framed with 2X2s but what is holding the planes up? Kinda looks like screen material but I am thinking that is not strong enough once you start driving around and things start bouncing.

And what size plywood did you use? 3/4" or something lighter

Anyway, I will post pics when I get it done

Thanks for the great idea!

John
Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 PM
bandjc
My Feedback: (5)

The shelf material is a plastic like landscaping material we found at home depot. it provides bungy tie downs everywhere.
I have transported my planes all summer with no problems, and they bounce around plenty.
I also lined the top and sides with foam, just in case one ever came loose, but they never have.
I carry two 60 size planes and sometimes a 60 and a 120 on the top shelf with no problems.
The ply is all 1/2 inch all around, with 3/4 inch on the bottum.

Good luck, we love ours.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Well I can not stand it any longer! I now own a trailer frame from Harbor Frieght and have started to assemble it. This frame is a folding trailer option, which will not be used. I am still deciding on the box, shape and materials. Looked at a small trailer at the flying field this past week end and it was made of thin ply for the shape and covered with aluminum with a folding top. Looked very nice.

We shall see, pics to follow. I think I will just start another thread. Would not want to hijack this one, you guys have some great trailers and have inspired us to follow!

JEB
Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Bandjc, I would like to build a hauler very similar to yours. Have you got any detailed construction photos of your work?
Old 02-11-2006, 04:30 PM
bigdarylg

got a question about trailers. do you guys leave your planes, flight boxes, and transmitters in them all the time during flying season? if so what special preperations do you make i.e. ventilation etc?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

I leave all my stuff in there never had a problem, mine is painted high gloss white andhas an air intake and solar powered exhaust fan
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Just came across this thread and am also thinking of building my own trailer. Just would like to get some info on how you guys trailers held up over the years and bring us up to date on issues that came up over time. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Also what coating did you guys put at the bottom to make it water proof and more durable. Did you use the same black stuff used for cars and trucks ?