Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Control horn installations..

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Control horn installations..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 05:23 PM
flyalan
My Feedback: (47)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Control horn installations..

Installing control horns requiring 3 to 4 screws and a backing plate of some sort can be a bit of a task. Getting all the holes to line and getting the screws started can be a problem. My solution to this is to grind a point on the end of each screw. The screws seem to find the hole in the backing plate much easier this way. Give it a try!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONTROL HORN INSTALL

I tried the grind thing and maybe because I'm a poor builder but I have a terriable time lineing up those holes. the one I'm on now you have to drill first (not treaded screws) and guess what, I missed again! (1/16" to 1/32" off!) Anay more ideas before I do the other half of the wing, tonight? - Please
Old 01-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Miniair
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: CONTROL HORN INSTALL

Originally posted by Goldwing
I tried the grind thing and maybe because I'm a poor builder but I have a terriable time lineing up those holes. the one I'm on now you have to drill first (not treaded screws) and guess what, I missed again! (1/16" to 1/32" off!) Anay more ideas before I do the other half of the wing, tonight? - Please
Trial line up the horn exactly where you want it, mark the covering with a pen/pencil (what ever shows up). When you're happy with the position and have an outline of the horn marked, just add a very small drop of CA and place it back down on the control surface, use a drill of the proper size and drill through the holes, install the screws and back plate and you're done.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Tiger
My Feedback: (7)

I Had this problem all the time too. Then I bought a cheap bench sized drill press. Perfect every time. Don't know how I got along with out it! I think I use it more than I use CA

Dale
Old 01-24-2002, 06:36 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

Default Why do you use these horrible horns at all?

Guys!
These nylon horns are horrible--heavy (several grams with the screws) and butt ugly!
I'm cuting my horns (better to say, my plane's horns) from old computer boards (where else can one get thin fiberglass?) and glue them to the structure. Yes, it takes time to dremel them out and to drill the holes, but the result is worth the efforts.

Just my .02 worth,

Boris
Old 01-24-2002, 06:40 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default old computer boards?

How do you use old computer boards? How do you attach them to the control surface without the 90 degree bend? Please tell more, thanks
Old 01-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys concidered using DU-BRO's Adjustable Control Horn ? Catalog No. 493. One hole, one bolt ! Two minute installation !I'll never stick my fingers again using my awl to line up the holes in those nylon horns !

Ugo
Old 01-24-2002, 09:02 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Hey bluesky... I have a bunch of old computer boards... Can you give some details on how you did it?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:26 PM
RC_Junky

Come on bluesky, let us in on this computer board tip.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:41 PM
bluesky123

Default Will make a picture tonight

I'll draw a picture and post it here tonight (I'm writing this from my office--hopefully, my boss won't catch me).
Old 01-24-2002, 11:57 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default OH OH!!!!!!!!!

I'll draw a picture and post it here tonight (I'm writing this from my office--hopefully, my boss won't catch me).

slowly look over your shoulder :surprised
Old 01-25-2002, 02:27 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Control Horns

Ugo has the right idea. They are easy to install and adjust and look good. Why reinvent the wheel? Just my 2 cents. Pete
Old 01-25-2002, 02:57 AM
bluesky123

Default That's how I do it

I find a place on the board, which is free of holes. The best boards are the simpliest ones: old network cards, sound cards, etc. Motherboards are usually multi-layered (there are layers of copper foil inside the fiberglass), which is not what we are looking for.

Using dremel and drill, cut the horm (central part in the picture below) and make a bunch of holes in it. The row of holes at the bottom is for lightness sake as well as for epoxy to fill. I usually taper the lower part of the horn, so that the end fartherst from the pivot (with the smallest hole) is the thinnest.
The horn is glued between two ribs (dark parts in the picture).

I got this idea from Mr. Graham Woods site:
http://www.favonius.com/soaring/bagging/tail_end.htm

Hope this may be useful.
Boris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1620_1898.gif
Views:	14
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1214  
Old 01-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Default NO boards???

If you don't have access to old computer boards you can go to an electronics supply store (like Radio Shack) and purchase blank sheets of circuit board material. And you can get the type that does not have holes yet.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:13 AM
mvigod
Banned

Need some clever tips on this still...

Any other good ideas to make sure the drill goes through straight with a 2 screw standard control horn?

Drill press is no good when the surfaces are already glued and hinged on the plane.

Also when the horn is up against the fuse closely what type of long drill bit or tool to use to make the hole since the bulky electric drill forces an angle since it can't get close to the plane?

I usually miss getting the holes straight enough to line up with the backplate 50% of the time lately...
Old 12-17-2002, 05:34 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

RCadmin: I have found that a piece of piano wire with the tip ground like a nail point works good .You can make it up to 3 feet long if you have arms like a GORILLA !!! big max 1935
Old 12-17-2002, 07:28 AM
Miniair

Originally posted by RCadmin
Need some clever tips on this still...

Any other good ideas to make sure the drill goes through straight with a 2 screw standard control horn?

Drill press is no good when the surfaces are already glued and hinged on the plane.

Also when the horn is up against the fuse closely what type of long drill bit or tool to use to make the hole since the bulky electric drill forces an angle since it can't get close to the plane?

I usually miss getting the holes straight enough to line up with the backplate 50% of the time lately...
A pin vise with a number 80 drill bit works very well.

It's small enough to get into tight places and the small bit doesn't remove too much material to make the threads not hold but allows the bolt to go through when screwed in - it is a very tight fit between the bolt and the material you drilled through.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:33 PM
mvigod
Banned

Jim,

I'm talking about the ones where you have to drill both holes perfectly straight so it goes into the plastic backplate. It would seem easier if the holes drilled weren't that tight. Problem is drilling straight enough so the screws coming out of the other side of the control surface line up with the holes in the backplate.

The pin vise would solve the tight spaces issue but lining it all up so the holes match is still the other big problem.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like Big Max said, use a piece of wire, I ground mine down like a screwdriver, it will go right through the balsa, and the long drill will help you see the angle you're drilling.

But the real trick is this...

When mounting the horn, get one screw started, but don't tighten it! Then start the other one while the backplate is still away from the surface. Now, if they don't line up, you have room to squeeze the screws together, or pry them apart, or whatever. Once BOTH screws are started, go ahead and tighten them down evenly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41522_7722.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1215  
Old 12-17-2002, 04:14 PM
mvigod
Banned

I tried the one to push-pull while the backplate was only started and away from the surface. This works sometimes if your close enough. I've had some surfaces that are very hard balsa and many times that won't work or a wire just won't make it's way through the hard balsa and a drill of some kind is needed. I can stick a t-pin through but it really doesn't work as a guide for any drill since the drill finds it's own way.

Lately I've been using the single hole control horn's by dubro which take the guesswork out of it all. One screw so you can't miss and much faster. Guess the Dubro's could be the ultimate easy solution.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Default DU-BRO HORNS

Just like I said 13 replies back, about a year ago on Jan. 25, 2002 !! ONE HOLE- ONE BOLT !!

Ugo
Old 12-17-2002, 05:26 PM
adrian-RCU

do bro bingo fore sure and look at the new ones for bigger planes
Old 12-17-2002, 05:27 PM
adrian-RCU

oops du bro
Old 12-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this 2 face tape (we used to call it officer tape) stick the control horn down in position..tape holds it very well. Drill pilot hole with pin vice and #80 drill and start your screws.

When finished remove the control horn and the back plate...remove the tape and reinstall. All lined up and neat.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Dzlstunter

I don't understand how any of the alignment methods so far (except the single hole method or the circuit board method) would help much with tapered control surfaces. The alignment of 4 holes thru a tapered section has always been one of my least favorite building tasks. Dzl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.