Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hardening screw holes with CA

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hardening screw holes with CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Jon B
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardening screw holes with CA

I'm new to RC and have a question about how to harden screw holes with CA. I've read several posts about using CA to harden holes but no one mentions how to do it. Is it a simple matter of drilling the hole and putting thin CA in it or is there more to it?

Thanks.
Jon B.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:01 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Hardening screw holes with CA

The easiest and best way is to simply drill the hole, run your screw in and then remove it, and then wick CA into the hole. You want just enough so that it covers the wood and barely seeps out of the bottom of the hole. After it's dried run the screw back into the hole to clean the threads out. That's all there is to it. Very simple procedure.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Jon B

Ken,

Thanks! Sounds pretty simple. I'll try it.

Jon B.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Thin CA in case that has to be said. Its like brill creme, just a little dab will do ya.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And make SURE it has completely set before putting the screw back in - or else that screw WON'T be coming out again
Old 07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Some things ya just take for granted but thats true wait for it to set.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Jon B

Thanks for all you input.

Jon B.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:57 AM
kdheath

When I drill and tap blocks for wing hold down bolts, I do the same thing. Tap the holes, hit with the CA, allow to dry, and finally run the tap through again. Really bulletproof.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 AM
kolban

A suggestion made to me was to put some thin CA in the screw holes and then place the screw in the hole. When the CA cures, the screw can still be removed as 'CA does not bond metal to wood'. I tried it and it seemed to work just fine. I wonder what the advantage/disadvantage is of using CA in the hole with or without the screw?

Neil
Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 AM
bigchap

ca doesn't bond metal to wood?what am i doing wrong then?i have a cowl i cannot remove due to the fact that it most certainly does!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:37 AM
kolban

I hears ya my friend. Am a 4 week old newbie in the hobby so still trying to sort out fact from fancy :-)

I am at work right now but tonight, I think I'll get some scrap balsa ... drill a hole in it, put some medium CA into it and then screw in a screw. I'll then leave it to set and see what happens next.

What I had originally done was strip threads in a balsa hole and the tip of putting the glue in was given to me by a guy at the club. He was very clear about leaving the screw in the hole while the glue sets. Once it has cured, I could then unscrew the screw (which comes out easily) and the results are some well formed and strong threads made of wood and CA.

Neil
Old 02-21-2006, 11:06 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minn.. it will come out again, but with a chunk of balsa attached..ha..

DS.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that work well with hardwood because hardwood lends itself to easy threadding using a tap. Cleaning up the threads with the tap is sort of hard with balsa because it's so soft. The screw will do that pretty much by itself.

DS.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: kolban

I hears ya my friend. Am a 4 week old newbie in the hobby so still trying to sort out fact from fancy :-)

I am at work right now but tonight, I think I'll get some scrap balsa ... drill a hole in it, put some medium CA into it and then screw in a screw. I'll then leave it to set and see what happens next.
Trying this with scrap is fine, but I think many of us would suggest NOT doing it with that nice new plane. I suspect many of us have already experienced the consequences of not waiting for the CA to cure.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 PM
feep

Well you can tell by the replys that sometimes leaving the screw in is ok and sometimes it isn't . I guess the lesson is.... when in doubt leave it out Oh that rhymes. I'm so proud of myself Ive been using CA for about 25 years. Here are some tips for using it that you may find elsewhere. Less is best. Sometimes you can't help it and you apply more than you need. Keep some paper towel or thin strips of newspaper handy to wick up the excess. I think CA works great with balsa. as the material gets less pores it becomes less effective. A good tight joint in balsa glued with CA will not fail. The wood around it will fail first. CA will not be effective between wwod and metal, but it will bond to some degree and if you are using it for hardening screw holes in balsa or basswood it would be wise to take out the screw before applying the CA. I sometimes use CA to hold 2 pieces of brass together until I can solder them. if I can't clamp them. I have used CA to seal sheets of balsa. It cures fast but is hard to sand.If you use a lot do it in a well ventilated area. I recently wanted to take a cardboard tube and cut it in half without distorting the tube in the process. I saturated the tube with CA and sawed it in half easily without distorting it. My wife always asks me to use a little dab on her paper cuts.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drill the hole, run a screw or tap into the hole to set the thread size. If the hole is to only be of tapped threads, use the THINNEST CA to wet the threads DEEPLY. Wait 4 times longer than called for and re-tap. Done

For screws. Run the screw in and out. Coat the screw with medium engine oil, not critical. Paper towel the excess off. You can't take too much off with the towel. Drip the THINNEST CA into the hole, QUICKLY run the screw ALL the way in. WAIT 4 times longer. Remove the screw easily.

If you are not sure, you CAN move the screw back and forth to prevent a stickup.

I have put screw threads into soft Balsa this way with good results everytime. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]