Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

HOW TO REMOVE RC-56 GLUE ??????

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

HOW TO REMOVE RC-56 GLUE ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO REMOVE RC-56 GLUE ??????

Ok guys,

I need a PROVEN method to remove RC-56 glue residue after I removed the canopy once glued with it! I tried soaking in water, Windex, acetone, Gluegone, thinner, scraping off with flat screwdriver to no avail. This stuff does not want to get off!!!! Please give me a PROVEN method to get this stuff off if you have one. Thank you!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Shogun

Default RE: HOW TO REMOVE RC-56 GLUE ??????

Since the glue is water based the only thing I have found is to take a rag and soak it, wring out the excess but keep it as wet as possible and then lay it on the dried glue. Keep the rag wet and be patient and the glue will absorb the water and turn white and runny again, then simply wipe it up. I don't know if it's proven but it worked fine for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Dai Phan

Hi,

Thank you for the tip. This is what I will do. I will tape cotton strips along the glue line and soak them with Windex/water combination. I was told that amonia in Windex will make the glue disolve faster. I will constantly ensure the cotton is fully saturated with water. I will let you know if this works. Thanks Dai Phan
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Woodpile

ORIGINAL: Dai Phan

Ok guys,

I need a PROVEN method to remove RC-56 glue residue after I removed the canopy once glued with it! I tried soaking in water, Windex, acetone, Gluegone, thinner, scraping off with flat screwdriver to no avail. This stuff does not want to get off!!!! Please give me a PROVEN method to get this stuff off if you have one. Thank you!!!

Then:

Hi,

Thank you for the tip. This is what I will do. I will tape cotton strips along the glue line and soak them with Windex/water combination. I was told that amonia in Windex will make the glue disolve faster. I will constantly ensure the cotton is fully saturated with water. I will let you know if this works. Thanks Dai Phan

What was the point in insisting on only PROVEN methods when you intended to modify the suggestion anyhow? Especially when you already tried Windex and, acording to you, it didn't work. Try what Shogun has suggested as is and then modify it if it doesn't work.

Sheesh...
Old 08-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Dai Phan

Woodpile,

As Shogun suggested, I will follow his tip of laying the wet rag on the glue and wait for it to dissolve. If you have no tip to offer me, then don't waste my time of your non-sense comment. Thank you Shogun for the tip. Dai Phan
Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi, name's Ken(Starfighter).
Get some "Ultra Super Solvent", CA debonder from either Tower or Omni Models(another Tower outlet), and you will have good results. This is a liquid CA debonder from Golden West Ind. (aka "Hot Stuff") that is a NitroMethane and Methyl Alcohol mix. This is a very aggressive debonding agent, that works on the RC56, and just about anything else. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 PM
carrellh

Heat actually seems to affect it. I glued the windscreen on my Astro Hog and trimmed it with a strip of Ultratrim. The Ultratrim needs to be ironed down to become 'permanent' so I started ironing and the canopy glue pretty much melted and wipeed off with a damp rag.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Dai Phan

Hi,

Thank you all !!! I will let you know how it turns out. Dai
Old 08-14-2005, 10:37 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Water will only work when the glue is fresh from the bottle ...after a few seconds, metanol or etanol is what works, not water.

Regards!
Jan Karlsson
Sweden
Old 08-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Azcat59

I had a pilot come loose in the cockpit once, and I was able to "unglue" the RC-56 by micro-waving a styrofoam cup of water until it was pretty hot, then using a syringe type glue gun, sucking up the hot water and shooting it around the canopy edges. It took awhile, but eventually the glue let loose without damaging anything and I was able to reglue the pilot and reinstall the canopy.

Clair
Old 11-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Slyder

Dai Phan ,

Did you ever get the glue off? I need to do the same and wandering what you found.