Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Sheeting a Foam Core Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Sheeting a Foam Core Wing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Tom02
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheeting a Foam Core Wing

I'm curious on how to sheet a foam core wing. What fiberglass do you use, do you use epoxy or contact cement. Wing press or vaccum bag. Wing tip creation. Everything that would go into the process would be helpful.

Thanks for the input,

Tom
[email protected]
Old 10-30-2002, 06:21 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of those things that seems more complicated than it is. I used polyurethane glue....worked great. Here is the article I used as a guide.

http://www.aerobatix.com/aerobatix/a...ond/index.html

It's pretty easy, give it a try.

Bob
Old 10-31-2002, 05:37 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of wing are you doing? Does it have to be glassed? On my 14 foot gliders, I use 3m transfer tap, gives me the flex I want in the wing and will not let loose, Pattern I use a couple of other things. I have done one plne with glass. It was an airtronics kit and I did it per instructions. It was tough enough to hit baseballs, but heavier than heck. If you do glass, make sure and get it as light as possible.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:57 PM
TerrellFlyer

Clean the core and lightly sand off any bumps,what ever you will let the wing cure on must be flat or you'll have a bad wing,cut all groves for servo leads or anything else under the skin,I use a slow epoxy,gives me time to work,brush or smear it on the foam, then take a putty knife or credit card and remove as much epoxy as possible,lay the core back in the saddle, lay on the skin,put the top saddle on the add weigh,after epoxy has cured repeat other side,tip I cap with balsa,saw controls out cap with wood, different size planes need different size wood to hold hinges,or mark where hinges are going,drill holes and epoxy in dowels.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Tom02
My Feedback: (3)

It would be for a pylon racer. Just a 424 capable of around 120 mph. I got sick of Predators and I want to try something new, but all kits are balsa foam core, and I need to know how to do a wing.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:29 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That doesn't need glass, will be lighter that way. Try this on some scrap to see if you like it. Take yellow wood glue, thin it with water, maybe some dye for color if you need it, paint it on the foam and wood, let it dry, then iron the sheeting on like monokote. don't get too hot, might melt the foam. I have done this many times. How I built all my pylon racers. It works really good. Make sure all surfaces are covered with a thin coat of the glue.

If you don't like that, use 3m 77 spray, but don't breath the stuff. It is really bad, but works well. Those are both really easy and stronger than heck.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:34 PM
TerrellFlyer

Hi Tom02,the skin I use is thin balsa,left that out of my post,hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:30 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

I've had alot of success with Elmer PROBOND. Just follow the directions. The adhesive requires water to setup.