Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Making wood propellers

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Making wood propellers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Henrik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making wood propellers

Do anyone know where to find some information of how full size propellers are made. I'm really interested in photoes of original maschines and methods used by some propmakers.

As you can see on my homepage I already made one maschine, but I'm interested in making it better if possible.

Henrik
Old 11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Henrik

As you can see I already made my own maschine for making propeller, but I'm very interested in knowing the way the professionals make them.

Henrik
Old 11-11-2002, 07:00 PM
linclogs

Mr. Moderator:

How does one get this size photo to post on RCUniverse? There was a thread going a couple of weeks ago regarding this subject. Some folks seem to be limited to a very small size photo they can attach and some seem to add whatever size they want. I thought someone suggested it might have something to do with how long one has been a member but I see this gentleman is a "new friend".
Old 11-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Henrik

Hi Linclogs.

I happens to have seen that it's possible to upload to the size of 300kb This foto is 197 kb, so what's the problem, you just make a try and seehow big you can make it.

Henrik
Old 11-11-2002, 09:20 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default linc...

If you use the "Attach Image" button at the bottom of the page (when you make a post), it limits the size. If you use the IMG button at the top of the page and link a URL to a pic hosted on a sever someplace else it will let you make a lot bigger pic. At least this is my experience.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:34 PM
john flynn

But what about the prop making?
Old 11-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Henrik

Default Propeller

Yes thats what it's all about. Do you happen to know anything about the question I asked??

Henrik
Old 11-12-2002, 07:24 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Awesome!

Henrik, your machine is a fine piece of craftsmanship! I see that everything is constructed to be very rigid and all moving parts ride in hefty bearings plus the "pattern follower" (didn't know what else to call it) is counterbalanced. Very clever!

I don't know what modern production prop machines look like but I'll bet the later ones use CNC controls. Are you just making props for yourself to save money or are you aiming for your own prop making/selling business?

Your machine could be converted to CNC control which would take the human error out of the process. After adding stepper motors or servo/encoders with lead screws to control the router, you would have to attach some kind of electronic probe to your "pattern follower" and use a software application that would write the X/Y/Z coordinates to a G-Code file. Probably lots of time & energy to get things going but once you have each prop "captured", the router/cutter would make as many as you wanted.

Good luck!
Milton Dickey
Old 11-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Henrik

Default Propeller

Hi Dickeybird.

I has thought of making it automatic, but as I only make props for fun I'm in no hurry. By the way, it only takes 45 min. to make one prop ( any size), I mostly makes from 28" and up. The 45 min. is total time, incl. sanding and epoxying the surface. The maschine was only made because the guys on the field said it was'nt possible. Now and then when I has made too many I am selling out. No bad idea, it's possible to make good money, but I also needs time to make some models.

Henrik
Old 11-12-2002, 08:04 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Re: Propeller

Originally posted by Henrik
Hi Dickeybird.

By the way, it only takes 45 min. to make one prop ( any size), I mostly make from 28" and up. The 45 min. is total time, incl. sanding and epoxying the surface.
WOW! That's great....you don't need CNC controls then!

I hope someone out there knows how a commercial prop making machine works....I'd really like to hear about it.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are several ways to do it. Henrik's is one of them. Although the "stylus and plug" method he's using is even automated now. But mostly it's done by CNC machines.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:58 PM
georgemay

I have a CNC prop machine.
It can carve props
It can also scan 3D props

I know you are dying for pictures.
Will you wait a day or so?

George
Old 11-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by georgemay
I have a CNC prop machine.
It can carve props
It can also scan 3D props

I know you are dying for pictures.
Will you wait a day or so?

George

Gearge,
I have bassically the same machine as Henrik because Henrik Gave the details to build it.
I would love to know more about yours, not sure if I want to build one, but maybe you can make me some prototypes in scale props and I can make my own after that.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:16 PM
georgemay

Few years back I had one like this but for full scale props was not to efficient.
The beauty of CNC machine is that you do not need pattern and you can actually create your own prop and experiment with it. All you need is 3D image.

George
Old 11-13-2002, 01:49 AM
ctdahle

I don't know a darn thing about it, but Henrik, your machine is really cool!
Old 11-13-2002, 03:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to program and run CNC machines for the Gov't.

I made a lot of cool airplane parts on it.

This doesn't have anything to do with this thread, I just wanted everyone to know that your tax dollars are hard at work

Old 11-13-2002, 04:40 AM
Henrik

Hi George.

We are both (Roger and I) interested in your CNC maschine. Nice to hear that there is someone out there with knowledge of props. Maybe we will see one of the profi maschines some day.

Happy landing Henrik
Old 11-13-2002, 03:15 PM
georgemay

Guys,
I have to apologize. I am at work now and forgot to bring all my pictures to upload today at home.

Henrik, it is not necessary to have CNC to make a good props. CNC will let you work on something else while cutting. (Theoretically anyway because I like to watch while it cuts ).
One of my friend - well known prop maker in both experimental and giant scale field - used till now all manual machines. Well semi- manual. They have some sort of feed on the x-axis. And was doing well without CNC. I said he was doing well - now I talked him to buy the machine and both of us have a ball with them

Roger, If you need help creating your own prop and carve patterns, contact me off line at [email protected]
I will help you. I do admire your attempt to have your own unique design.

George
Old 11-14-2002, 02:08 PM
georgemay

This morning I uploaded some pictures to www.propellers.us/rcu.htm
George
Old 11-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Henrik

Hi George.

Tnx. for the pictures. I'm interested in the time it takes to make one side of a prop ex. 32" * 12"

Henrik
Old 11-14-2002, 05:16 PM
georgemay

I haven't cut 32x12 but I did 32x10. It was test run on one of my prop designs I was working back then. It was cut from piece of 2x4. It is shown on picture #3, 4 and 5 from the top at propellers.us/rcu.htm
Rough cut was about 15min and Final Cut depends on how fine you want to cut. Back then step was 0.100" and it took 18min to finish. If I use 0.04" then it takes about 40 min, but sanding is minimal. and of course I won't get tired
Machine itself is capable of cutting 2" per sec removing 0.5"x0.5" at the time. more you take you may risk of loosing a step :angry:

George
Old 11-14-2002, 07:05 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

I haven't cut 32x12 but I did 32x10. It was test run on Prince P-Tip prop design I was working back then. It was cut from piece of 2x4. It is shown on picture #3, 4 and 5 from the top at propellers.us/rcu.htm
Rough cut was about 15min and Final Cut depends on how fine you want to cut. Back then step was 0.100" and it took 18min to finish. If I use 0.04" then it takes about 40 min, but sanding is minimal. and of course I won't get tired
Machine itself is capable of cutting 2" per sec removing 0.5"x0.5" at the time. more you take you may risk of loosing a step :angry:

George
George, this is fantastic, I want one these machines

I will get back to you privately with some more questions though.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:07 PM
DICKEYBIRD

This morning I uploaded some pictures to www.propellers.us/rcu.htm
George
Hey George, may I ask what software app. you use to draw your 3D models and then what app. to convert the CAD model to G-Code? I'm doing 2D CAD and 2 1/2D CNC cutting of balsa & ply strictly as a hobby but aspire to doing 3D stuff someday. So far, 3D to me is like from another planet!

You're machine is AMAZING!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:18 PM
georgemay

For 3D I use Rhino, for toolpath generation I use Visual Tool.
There are also cheaper programs like Mill Wizard capable of 3D carving. Some are quite expensive like Master Cam.

And 3D is not that difficult at all

George
Old 11-16-2002, 03:04 PM
pilotrc

Default PROP Machine

Thats a nice looking machine. Is it completly manual? Hand operated on guide tracks.. If so I'd like to build one. Will you share the design and parts needed to construct one.. Jim McClary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.