Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Reusable Epoxy tool

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Reusable Epoxy tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:27 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reusable Epoxy tool

I was just wondering if any body has found or developed something that can apply EPOXY and then be scraped cleaned or dunked in something to keep it from bonding on to the applicator.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Reusable Epoxy tool

A nylon prop, like a master airscrew, would probably work. Clean with alcohol or acetone while the epoxy is wet. Or let it cure and then flex the blade to pop it off.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

I use a box of popsicle sticks. Once used I dunk them permanently in the garbage can and then get a new one from the box next time...
Old 02-18-2006, 06:51 PM
RC-Captain

OK thanks , I will try using the master airscrew prop I have been kicking around for a while.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Hareman

I like to use the little food sample cups and spoons that Sam's Club uses. I ask if I can go thru the trash cans and get a dozen or so, then take them home with me and clean them and re-use them. The cups will hold more than you usually will want to mix at one time, and the little spoons make neat applicators to dip and spread the epoxy. Afetr you're through, throw them away (again).
Old 02-18-2006, 07:38 PM
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use a tool a painter uses or artist type who mixes differant colors on a eisel it has a wood handle and is kind of shaped like a bent butter knife when done wipe with a rag or paper towel with rubing alcahol or wait till it sets and use a knife and it will scrap right off with little effort its stainless and flexs and is perfect for mixing and applying epoxy
Old 02-18-2006, 08:08 PM
RC-Captain

Thanks this sounds like the tool I need. I was using $1.99 paint brushes but I fiqure this can get expensive. So I will look for the name of the tool and invest in one .
Old 02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
bigdarylg

along the same lines i use my discarded liquid detergent caps for mixing cups just saw them off to whatever height you want
Old 02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

i use music wire and post it notes......

if I need morem then I use a small dixie...
Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I bought a box of wooden coffee stirrers 10 years ago. I can just begin to see the bottomof the box. You can always grab a few extra when you buy coffee at Caribou or maybe Starbucks.
Walt
Old 02-19-2006, 12:21 AM
tashley

Since your question was about a tool to apply epoxy I'll show you a picture of what I've been using for the last twenty five or so years.
It's a small mixing spatula found at most any artists or craft shop. The handle is wood and the blade is steel. You can use it to mix your epoxy and apply it as well. It will clean up with a swipe of an alcohol dampended paper towel and if you get too busy to clean it immediately use it you can easily shave the cured epoxy off with a single edge razor blade. I have one that is at least twenty years old and it's still going strong. The price is only a couple of bucks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62743.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	410956  
Old 02-19-2006, 12:55 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Thanks this sounds like the tool I need. I was using $1.99 paint brushes but I fiqure this can get expensive. So I will look for the name of the tool and invest in one .
You don't need expensive brushes for spreading epoxy. These are $20 for 144 brushes. You might even find them cheaper at a welding or plumbers supply company. Plumbers and welders use them to apply paste flux.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXK362
I use them once and toss them
Old 02-19-2006, 02:01 AM
RC-Captain

Thanks all but Tashley's and Tbones' ideas is what I am looking for at the moment , I do like the wooden coffee stirrers idea, but i already can see how I would end up using them for other things which then becomes a waste.

So I will pick up a spatula ASAP and will give it a shot.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Lightfoot

The tool is called a pallet knife. It is available at arts and craft stores, department stores that carry art supplies, and some building supply houses. It is hard and flexible and is excellent for mixing and applying epoxy. I have used one for many years.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

Hobby Lobby has the Popsicle sticks. $1.99 for a butt load of them. Use one end the first time, turn it over and use the other end and toss.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Chip_Mull

Alcohol cuts any epoxy. use a high strength like the 91%. Just wash your brush in it and close the top. Then again, a box of chip brushes at Harbor Freight is ony three bucks.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
tashley

Acid brushes are another great tool to have and they are so inexpensive you can afford to use them to apply epoxy, such as brushing a coat on the firewall, and then toss them. I prefere to "warm" the epoxy a little before brushing it on the firewall as opposed to thinning with alcohol which can sometimes cause the epoxy to not cure properly. Just don't overdo the heat or it will kick before you have it brushed on completely.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Mods-R-Me

Use mixing sticks (tongue depressors). I just got 1000 for $3.24 at Wal-Mart.

Mods
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

dollar store dollar store dollar store Popsicle sticks 200 for a dollar and small plastic mixing cups i get 50 for a dollar.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
RC-Captain

Hi all , I just wanted to post a picture of what I found when working in a liquor store today. They are call mini spreaders. They are the perfect size for the small cups I use to mix epoxy and are made of stainless steel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38029.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	412983  
Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
jjpetro

If you do any glass work with polyester resin then perhaps you are aware of the small, pink, plastic Bondo spatulas. Cut them to size and use them over and over. After the polyester, or epoxy, cures you just bend it and the hard, cured plastic pops right off. You can find them anywhere fiberglass and polyester resins are sold. For that matter, any type of polyethylene (LDPE, HDPE, UHDPE, etc) will suffice. It's just about like Teflon, hardly anything will stick to it.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought something like 20,000 little plastic cups from Sams Club for about $10. They are little plastic serviing cups. The kind that restaurants use for serving sour creme or salsa. About 2oz size.

I buy those little acid brushes by the gross from hobby lobby. Cheap.

Thse are more expensive, but it's what I buy from hobby lobby, for much less. They average out to about 6cents apiece.
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...NMTINBRUSH.cfm

I use popsicle sticks to mix. Just wipe the epoxy off with a paper towel while it's still wet. Use it a dozen times and then flip it over. Use the other side a dozen times.

These are expensive--but all they are good for is spreadin' epoxy:
[sm=lol.gif]
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/acces...bulaprops.html
Use them and wipe the epoxy off while it's wet. If it dries--either sand it off with a palm sander or just cut the tip off.
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I use a small stainless steel spatula to mix and apply epoxy. The spaula is double-ended and about 8 inches long. When I'm done I wipe the spatula with a paper towl wet with methanol.

I think the spatulas are available from precision tool supply houses, maybe also places like www.digikey.com and www.mouser.com . They cost 5 or 10 dollars but last forever. I forget now where I got mine. I've never seen them in a LHS.

Edit.... Found it. This is what I talking about:
http://www.sargentwelch.com/product....+Double+Bladed

Edit again.... Can't get the link to work. go to www.sargentwelch.com and search on 'spatula'
Old 02-27-2006, 10:50 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

I use popsicle sticks.Box of 1000 from arts & craft store for $1.99 and
I save the plastic cups from jello snacks,fruit snacks and pudding snacks that my kids eat.
Always have plenty of cups.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:39 AM
old ranger

Hello!
Here's something a little different to use, I cut TIG (tungston inert gas) welding rods, 308L is the one I like (stainless), cut the wire to different sizes then I get out my hammer, lay 1 end on a piece of steel(vice, etc,), and hammer out the shape I want, file down the edges, use the epoxy dregs(leftovers) to make the "handel" it helps if you bend the handel end to a 90 degree first. when you use it, and don't have time to clean it off, just use a set of sidecutters to "snip" off the glue, no waste but the cured glue. Want a pic, hit me with a pm, glad to help, BTW, it cost me 5 bucks to make 9 sets (different shapes) of 4 to give the club mates at christmass.
old ranger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.