Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Covering\Painting Foam Planes

I do not have any tips to share...at this time, rather, I am looking for any and all tips that may help me in my quest.

After doing extensive searches throughout the U.S. I found and purchased a Ranger 42 off of Ebay. It is still in its original box unbuilt. the box was still stapled shut!!. Very stoked on this one, this was my very 1st plane that I learned to fly on back in the early 70's, this will now be my backyard flyer. I have a question to you foam flyers that may have input for me. What should I use to cover or paint the foam? It comes just natural foam white. I am going to be running a .049 glo on it. I know a lot has changed since the 70's, wanted to know what to use, what’s best?

Thanks, Greg
    Gold Country ACE Hardware & Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Covering\Painting Foam Planes

Hi there Rod, you can use Testors Spray Enamel, its foam safe, works well, dries quickly and quite an extensive color palate. On a side note I noticed you're from Placerville, we have friends up there that work for PG&E and visit quite often, beautiful country. Do you fly at a local air field or do you have "that secrect spot" that you enjoy?

Good luck with your new bird and happy flying,
    Steve S.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve,

Thanks for the input. I have sent in my AMA license to the only club in this area, "The El Dorado Flyers". Pretty small club, nothing fancy for the runway, but the price is beyond reasonable. I will be flying my larger planes there. As for the Ranger 42, I live in a mountain community called Swansboro, or Mosquito. With a little .049 foam plane, I can fly it just about anywhere up here, including my property. But just below me is nice flat area with a pond, "Catfish" pond. I'll probably put a little time in there when I can't make it down to the club...

Thanks for the tip, I wanted something easy, and this sounds like an easy option, the other factor was weight. I wanted it sealed or protected from glow goo, but didn't want to toad the foam plane out with a heavy paint. 1 coat will do the job?
    This is a cheap inexpensive plane, or it was back in the 70's. I've looked at a lot of foam planes over the years, and especially these past few months since returning to the sport. There is no trainer plane like the Ranger 42, and the thing is, it is a really fun plane to fly. There is not another plane on the market that can take the punishment like this plane and be able to fly again. This would be an ideal design for any and all new RC stick flyers that are bound to crash for the first few months. This plane can be broken in half, epoxy it and be flying again the next day.... Greg
    Gold Country ACE Hardware & Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blueline

Testors Spray Enamel
    Is it fuel proof too?

People have covered GWS foamies with the plastic films too (low heat!). Some surface preparation is needed first to get the foam smooth enough for covering..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is an article in the MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS April 2005 titled 15 steps to cover foam. It was written by Rick Bell. I found it to be very helpful!

There are many paints on the market now that will work on foam but care must be taken about selecting one that is fuel proof.
    Tomakazi

flyer495th, It was Backyard Flyer. Here's a link, hope it helps, Best Regards, Monkey Gutz

http://www.backyardflyer.com/onlineonly/coverfoam.asp
    Old Skool Horsepower... If a little bit is good then a whole bunch is better, and to much still ain't enough