Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

need help RE covering PLEASE

Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default need help RE covering PLEASE

I am recovering a plane, I have taken all of the old covering off now and have found out that some oil has gotten to some of the wood. Well guess what Monokote does not stick to oily balsa wood. What can I do to fix this. If i knew I would find this mess I woulda left the old covering on[&o]
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Quicksdraw MaGraw
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: need help RE covering PLEASE

I have heard that KR2 stain remover works, it's dry cleaning paste for cloths....... never tried it myself.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 PM
TeePee
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had SOME luck using my heat gun to bring the oil to the wood's surface, then soaking it with a clean rag. This will have to be done over again as many times as is neccessary, depending on how heavily soaked the wood is. Be careful not to over heat as you may be using it for firewood! I usually use the K2 the last couple of times, then paint with Balsarite. Hope this may help. TeePee
Old 03-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Multiple applications of K2R OR cornstarch. After you have gotten out as much of the oil as possible coat/paint the affected areas with Balsarite OR SIG Stix-It. I prefer the Stix-It. The wood will separate before the covering comes loose (unless you apply heat to loosen the Stix-It)