Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Gorilla glue for wing joining?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Gorilla glue for wing joining?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
kingdom802
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla glue for wing joining?

Has anyone used Gorolla glue for the joining of foam wings?? if so how did it work out?
I'm getting ready to join the wing halves on my modified giant stinger and was wondering if this will work better than epoxy.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Gorilla glue for wing joining?

Stay with the epoxy....
Old 07-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

This past weekend a buddy cartwheeled just slightly on landing but the plane seemed OK. On the next flight the wing came off and the fuselage became a lawn dart. During the postmortem we noted that Gorilla glue had been used on the firewall and wing mount plates. Those joints broke cleanly. That was no wood adhered to the glue joint. He's a modeler of many years so it is hard to believe he glued it wrong but still there is room someplace for things to go wrong.

I'd stick with the traditional glues.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be contrary but I use the stuff all the time and have not had a problem. I woodpecker the crap out of all the surfaces and use plenty of water to make it kick. I also tape the joints to keep the foaming action under pressure in hopes all the nooks and crannies are filled. I like it better for joining the wing cause I am sure it grabbs all around the DH brace too. How many times I have seen epoxy weep away from getting a full solid joint in this area. My experience has been great on foam.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use GG also for wing joiners. Just ***** or scratch the surface of the wood (I do this with all hardwood/plywood for all types of glue) and glue. Be sure to hold jiont together as the GG when it expands will move the joint apart. No failures to date and I don't hold back when I fly. This pitts has three wing joints secured with gorilla glue!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76487.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	490078  
Old 07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

What I do with foam cores is to apply the glue to one root, moisten some toothpicks, or for larger wings I cut bamboo skewers to 4-6 inches, and stick 'em blunt end into the glued wing half. Apply a light coat of glue to the remaining half, spritz all the glue with water, and join the wing halves. Use wax paper to lay around the joint, and weight the whole thing down and block the wingtips to keep the expanding glue from forcing the wing halves apart. Remember to use a very thin coating of glue, as a direct contact water spray will cause a lot of expansion, and the whole object is to make a strong joint that's lighter than epoxy. Be sure to let sit at least 4 hours, and preferably overnight. I've pretty much stopped using epoxy for everything but some glassing and fuelproofing.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
vicman

I've pretty much stopped using epoxy for everything but some glassing and fuelproofing.

SST, You and I do the same thing.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
TAZ

i have just rebuilt my corsair and nearly every joint has had GG on it and its strong as hell even used it to sheet it just used lots of rubber bands or tape or clamps to hold wood in place
Old 07-13-2006, 12:22 AM
kingdom802
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the input, I think mght use a combination of the two processes. GG for the ends of the spar and epoxy on everything else.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 AM
wa4zbp

I have used the Gorilla Glue a lot on foam planes. I have had great success with it. I also use it for wood on balsa planes, just remember to use water for kicker one side and glue on facing side. Also resist putting too much glue on as it will expand and squeeze out. *****ing the wood helps also. I joined the foam wing on my Slow Stick where the instructions called for taping, and it has worked well. Make sure you have all surfaces secured like you want them and leave it be for a good while. I try to leave a day after gluing before releasing the clamps, tape, or whatever I use to secure.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:57 AM
SST

BTW...Elmer's Ultimate is the same stuff at about 2/3 the price...
Old 07-15-2006, 01:33 PM
vicman

Yeah but it is only available in the big bottles around here. The last two I bought got hard before it was 2/3 empty. I like the little GG bottles now. So its an extra buck or two I still get to use it all. My planes are small, not like those foam monsters you build. How did the Valkarie come out anyway?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
SST

ORIGINAL: vicman

Yeah but it is only available in the big bottles around here. The last two I bought got hard before it was 2/3 empty. I like the little GG bottles now. So its an extra buck or two I still get to use it all. My planes are small, not like those foam monsters you build. How did the Valkarie come out anyway?

Home Depot has little bottles around here, but I have a 2-year-old bottle that's still useable! I keep re-working that XB-70, but I have so many ongoing projects that nothing has actually gotten finished in nearly a year, though there always seems to be something new I just gotta get to work on NOW, yaknowwhatimean? But I'm retiring the first of the year, and then I'll start playing with my new mill & lathe...
Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
vicman

From a job shop to a tool shop?
I finally got my lathe and aircompressor hooked back up. Somone offered me a sick sum to polish some mold cavs and I couldn't say no. I sold the Bridgeport a while back to get Ducati. Kinda wished I still had the mill. I am in the final steps on my CBM F-16, I made a FG cowel and am letting some of the filler dry so I started working on another 1/2a racer. I need to build about three of them for this fall.

Take care friend.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Stubshaft

Have virtually given up on epoxy except for lamination and certain other operations. GG is great stuff. It may take a little longer to kick but when it does it gives you a visual indication of where it is adhering to. I also use it to fill damaged foam cores (mix some with water and let it foam over than cut it back with an exacto and sandpaper.).
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must make sure that both wing panels are tightly secured together, or you could risk misalignment due to glue expansion. This may be a little hard to do, specially if glueing foam wings, it is very easy to go overboard on the amount of glue used as it is extremelly sticky and a little hard to spread and it can not be diluted. also by spraying water to one surface will increase the expansion (foaming) and speed the curing time. I used this glue for the first time on a scratchbuilt project I am doing and it certainly has some uses, where some void filling is desired, but its expansion can also be frustrating as you have no control over and can be quite messy and it is almost uncleanable, it is best to let it cure overnight and then sand it down, which is hard to do also. I am one of those persons that hate to see glue runs and excess matter left behind, so if you are of the neat picky type, be careful in the amount of glue you use or stick to epoxy where you know you can't go wrong (hopefully). Gorilla Glue would be an asset when gluing the spars, specially in foam wings, but maybe the joining of the panels would be best done by using epoxy. Good luck!
PS. Do a test run first!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know about foam to foam using Gorilla Glue, but I had a plane flutter itself to death in the air and the post crash inspection showed that everywhre I had used GG the wood came apart before the glue did. The top wing of a 29% biplane was completely assembled with GG as a test and although the wood failed, the glue did not. I'd say the stuff works pretty good.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
vicman

SS is right on. Its good stuff!