Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Good product for cleaning your plane

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Good product for cleaning your plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Wallrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good product for cleaning your plane

Check out a product called Plexus (www.plexus.com). I know you can buy it from any motorcycle shop. It cleans and polishes plastics and painted surfaces. Takes off glow fuel goo no problem and leaves the covering material feeling really 'slick' to the touch. Its about $8 for a can but the stuff will make your model shine as if you waxed it.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Once or twice a season I will clean my plane with Pledge furniture polish. It lays down a coat of wax on the covering and really makes it shine. Then at the field I use a combination of windshield washer fluid with a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in it. This will cut the oil in a heartbeat and then it bring back the shine laid down by the pledge. and the windshield washer fluid only costs about a buck a gallon.

Just my 2 pennies worth
Old 01-04-2003, 04:41 PM
busdriver-RCU

Default Cleaning Planes

I use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. It is very cheap (I think I paid about a $1.00 for two bottles at the Dollar General Store.) And it does a great job cutting the oil off of the planes
Old 01-04-2003, 07:12 PM
The PIPE

Default Even BETTER-denatured alcohol with a dash of VINEGAR...!

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE here again-and from a "hint" I got from one "herc75" at the Flightlines forum thread at http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000075.html , I tried using a combination of DENATURED alcohol with a "dash" of pure vinegar to kill the potentially objectionable ODOR of the "denatured" stuff-and it works GREAT! [Herc75's post was the fourth one in that thread that I've included the link for here.]

The denatured alcohol is usually half METHANOL anyway, which is what our model fuels have as their main component, so using something that does have THAT in there is bound to work well in cleaning the model fuel residue off any model plane that's glow fueled to begin with!

The inspriation to use a "dash" of vinegar in the cleaning solution came from the fact that any of the Johnson's Windex products that has vinegar in it seems to clean better than the others in that popular line of cleaners, and since JUST a dash of vinegar seems to both cut the model fuel lubricant well during cleaning, AND that the tiny amount of vinegar also squelches the objectionable odor of the denatured alcohol, seems to make it a very decent cleaning solution to make up from scratch to clean model aircraft with.

It's just a good "basic" cleaning solution if one doesn't have the desire to pick up a more expensive cleaner...and with the methanol and vinegar in there, the model fuel's oil residue seems to be easily cleaned off with this simpler solution.

Just my two-cent's worth...but it DOES work!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:08 AM
smthlndr

i use simple green it works also. then i go back with end dust to protect it.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use my wifes Once & Done, but she got really ticked when she didn't have enough to clean the ceramic tile

Vince
Old 01-05-2003, 04:05 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Try a product called Orange Clean you can find it @ wally world or winn dixie, it really cleans the goop off & leaves a nice shine, it smells good also.

Gil
Old 01-05-2003, 04:08 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Baby Wipes....

They cut the grease like nothing else. Then just simple windex to get rid of any streaks.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:33 PM
coomarlin

Default Re: Even BETTER-denatured alcohol with a dash of VINEGAR...!

This "pipe" guy cracks me up Every time he responds to something it's like having a television show interupted by a news break. I keep hearing ticker tape in the background. lol Good info Pipe

Originally posted by The PIPE
Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE here again-and from a "hint" I got from one "herc75" at the Flightlines forum thread at http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000075.html , I tried using a combination of DENATURED alcohol with a "dash" of pure vinegar to kill the potentially objectionable ODOR of the "denatured" stuff-and it works GREAT! [Herc75's post was the fourth one in that thread that I've included the link for here.]

The denatured alcohol is usually half METHANOL anyway, which is what our model fuels have as their main component, so using something that does have THAT in there is bound to work well in cleaning the model fuel residue off any model plane that's glow fueled to begin with!

The inspriation to use a "dash" of vinegar in the cleaning solution came from the fact that any of the Johnson's Windex products that has vinegar in it seems to clean better than the others in that popular line of cleaners, and since JUST a dash of vinegar seems to both cut the model fuel lubricant well during cleaning, AND that the tiny amount of vinegar also squelches the objectionable odor of the denatured alcohol, seems to make it a very decent cleaning solution to make up from scratch to clean model aircraft with.

It's just a good "basic" cleaning solution if one doesn't have the desire to pick up a more expensive cleaner...and with the methanol and vinegar in there, the model fuel's oil residue seems to be easily cleaned off with this simpler solution.

Just my two-cent's worth...but it DOES work!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Tippie

And the answer is:

Fly electric and use a damp rag!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:52 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Electric?!?! At this point in the game, I could never get away from the smell, slime and sound of nitro. R R R!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

vacinekm,
boy did you get that right. What's better than standing at the runway, punching the throttle forward, your plane roaring down the runway, lifting off of the ground, and then you get that wiff of exhaust!!!! ahhhhh!!!!!! what could be better!!!! lol
Old 01-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Tippie

When you get a little age on yourself you learn to move over and get out of the fast lane and sit back and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Sorry guys, been there done that. In a nut shell "Its all Fun"!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:35 PM
gvetter

Ive tried the Baby Wipes idea and I really like it. They do a good job and are so much more convienient to carry to the field.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:56 PM
NCC-1701

I use 409, except on my 1/2A's. For them, I use 049!

Rob
Old 01-15-2003, 01:12 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

baby wipes, baby wipes, baby wipes. how many times do I have to repeat this, even my baby knows it ! just kidding........on the serious side, it cleans up castor residue real well, and doesn't eat into the covering adhesive layer like ammonia-based products
Old 01-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Mendes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Even BETTER-denatured alcohol with a dash of VINEGAR...!

Originally posted by coomarlin
This "pipe" guy cracks me up Every time he responds to something it's like having a television show interupted by a news break. I keep hearing ticker tape in the background. lol Good info Pipe

I wonder what's in that Pipe anyway....

Old 01-21-2003, 08:57 PM
TES

Orange Clean from Walmart. Its cheap and works great.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:19 PM
coomarlin

Originally posted by TES
Orange Clean from Walmart. Its cheap and works great.
I tried Orange Clean once and felt it was very hard to keep from streaking. It was tough on the goop, but it didn't give a good finish. Just my observation.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:24 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

Default best homebrew I have found.

Makes ONE QUART.
4 ounces of rubbing alcohol
one ounce, or a bit less of Dawn dishwashing detergent.
Fill the rest up with tap water.

Hide from your wife. Once she used it, I have to get it out from under the Kitchen sink before I go flying. Its easy to forget!