Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Preserving Gorilla Glue?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:50 AM
FlyingGreg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Preserving Gorilla Glue?

I like using polyurethane glues, such as Gorilla Glue, but have trouble keeping the glue remaining in the bottle from developing a hard crust making it impossible to get any out. I have resorted to drilling through the crust into the still liquid glue and am able to squeeze some out then. I wipe the drill clean, but there has got to be a better way. Any thoughts out there in cyberland?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:32 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Preserving Gorilla Glue?

FlyingGreg,
Glues such as Gorilla Glue are activated by moisture, so the trick to keeping them fresh is to keep them in a dry location. For all of my adhesives that are activated by moisture (polyurethanes and CA's) Previously I had a Rubbermaid container that I keep them in. I used to use those silica packets you see shipped with electronics in there to absorb the moisture out of the container. I stopped using that when we purchased a Food Saver vacuum machine. This is on of those things you see on info-mercials that vacuum seals food to store it (and yes, it works great!!!!). I use one of the big containers that came with it, I put in the adhesive bottles, and pump the air out of it so the adhesives are stored in a vacuum state. Works great. The glues will stay fresh for years if you do this.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
FlyingGreg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Ken. I am going to try zip lock food storage bag. I used to force canned air into my photo chemical bottles to help evacuate any trapped air to help the chemicals last longer. Might work with PU glue as well.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:21 PM
T_om

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For years and years I have preserved open cans of paint by taking my propane torch and directing a stream of propane gas into the open can. Propane is heavier than air and will settle on the top of the cans contents, shielding it from oxidation.

I do not know if this would work with PU glue or not, but that is what I would try.

Tom
Old 12-23-2006, 03:27 AM
majortom-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I store my polyurethane glue with the soft plastic bottle upside down. That way I have fresh glue ready to run through the spout, and whatever crust formation occurs is away from the spout. This has worked so far over maybe a year, using it every month or so, re-capping and re-storing. This is also an argument for buying smaller bottles--less quantity to go bad.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:59 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The instructions on the bottles of glue I get, say to store it the way Majortom does. The first time I did that, I developed a crust of hardened glue around the screw threads that hold the cap on. Obviously, the area is NOT air tight, so as the glue leaks and hardenes, it becomes air tight, and preserves the glue. My current bottle must be at least a year old, and is just starting to get thick.

Les
Old 12-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Dzlstunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the crusty formation around the cap when I stored mine upside down, too.

I live in the Midwest, which is known for its humidity, so I noticed a tip on a British forum which I am currently trying out. I used a small plastic "soft oleo sized" container with a drying compound you can buy at Wally World for damp closets and cellars. The compound comes in a 1/2 gallon carton as a refill for their closet dispenser unit. I poked (drilled) holes in the lid of the small container to allow air circulation, then put it into a larger (gallon ice cream sized) container. Next go in all the water-sensitive adhesives.

So far (three months) it works. Takes longer to read my tortured explanation of it that to do it. Good luck, Dzl
Old 12-26-2006, 08:02 AM
FlyingGreg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why didn't I think of that???? MajorTom gets the nod for the best solution IMO--so simple and obvious I feel like a fool for starting this thread. Thanks MajorTom.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 AM
majortom-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will say that the cap does get glued to the spout, such that I need a pair of pliers to crack the cap open, but it comes off clean and goes back on the same way.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 AM
FlyingGreg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MajorTom--I have been using a short pieces of plugged fuel line as a cap for CA glues. I seals well and does not let air in. Don't know if it would seal a PU glue bottle. They may be too large, or perhaps a piece of large fuel line would work. I use vasoline on the threads of Goop to seal the tube, otherwise the Goop hardens near the top also making it unusable. or at least very messy if the tube breaks at the botom. Vasoline on the threads of the gorilla glue may keep a better seal as well. I think we are on to something!

Thanks to all that responded.

BTW--Goop is great for glueing on canopies. Sticks like crazy to monocote or ultracote. No need to cut covering and glue directly to wood. I use an acid brush to apply a thin coat to the edge of the canopy and just stick it on, hold down with rubber bands and/or tape. If you get any on the outside of the canopy or the planes covering, use alcohol to get it off before it dries or you'll never get it off.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 AM
jetpack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

caps allow air passage. the old water bottle trick wins again. tried and true.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:32 PM
rctrax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for my ca'sI just let them sit withoput the cap in their holder on my workbench and they last for months without getting hard and I use them up by that time. If they get hard it's time to find a new brand
Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Flying freak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you dont want your CA too dry up in the tip trow it in the fridge just make sure it doesnt freeeze thats what i do now and it works nicly
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
tucker1865

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gorilla glue is activated by humidity...I store mine rolled in a large plastic bag with rubberbands at the top and bottom. It has lasted well over 3 years.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM
SON OF PALEFACE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Keep your glues in the fridge , Gorilla, cyno ...anything will keep MUCH longer because the inside of the fridge is a dry enviroment ..............works for me
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM
spasmatic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When finished using the gorilla glue, turn the bottle upside down and allow some of the glue to run out the spout. This eliminates the air normally left in the bottle and it works very well for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what about when the bottle is half or one third full ????
Old 03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
spasmatic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I should have added to replace the cap before turning upright.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A while back I posed that same questions to the Gorilla Glue mfg. Here is their reply:

"Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane adhesive, and like all polyurethane glues, reacts to moisture to cure; that is, moisture is what causes the chemical reaction in polyurethane adhesives to harden. In reply to your concerns, it sounds like the glue bottle may have been closed with the air trapped inside. When the bottle is opened and the glue is exposed to the moisture in the air, it starts to cure (harden). For this reason, properly storing the glue is critical.  We advise customers to squeeze out any excess air before recapping the bottle tightly. You will need to make sure the glue is at the tip of the bottle before capping – otherwise air can be sucked back in.  The bottle should be a bit misshapen if all the air has been removed. This must be done after each application of the glue. Once the glue has cured, there is no way to return it to liquid form, so please do not attempt to heat the glue in any way.  Shelf life of completely unopened bottles would be about 3 years; however, once opened and not closed properly (that is, all air squeezed out), the shelf life would be very short.

Any glue that is still in liquid form is reliable and usable. Take the bottle apart (be careful not to spill any glue) and clean the nozzle using a dry cloth or a toothpick to remove hardened glue.   If you have a crust on top of the liquid, we recommend poking down through the crust (with a stick, screw driver, etc.) to remove the top dry layer.  If your glue is thick, you might try placing it in a bowl of warm water to thin it.  However, never microwave Gorilla Glue as it can explode and cause damage. We recommend wearing protective gloves and old clothing when working with our glue.

"
Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 AM
zzprop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What about the go to on the cell phone getting drenched in water.
Rice and phone in a zip lock baggie trick to absorb the moister.
Sound logical?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:57 AM
OldScaleGuy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best place i found for Gorilla glue is in the trash can.
I store my CA in the fridge with the cap in place, never have a problem with it.
Aliphatic glues (my favorite) stay on the bench along with epoxies.
I used to store my epoxy upside down until one day one of the caps was found lose and i had a real mess, that was the end of that idea.

Last edited by OldScaleGuy; 12-23-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:37 AM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy View Post
Best place i found for Gorilla glue is in the trash can.
I store my CA in the fridge with the cap in place, never have a problem with it.
Aliphatic glues (my favorite) stay on the bench along with epoxies.
I used to store my epoxy upside down until one day one of the caps was found lose and i had a real mess, that was the end of that idea.
Gorilla glue has it's uses but not many in building planes. It is unmatched in sheeting balsa to foam wing cores.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM
takEon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried majortom's suggestion and it has worked great for several month's. In the past I had never had any luck storing it for anything over a week or two. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 PM
vindee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best way I have found is to set the bottle upright and squeeze the glue to the top leaving no air space. Then screw the top on. Other methods like turning the bottle upside down still leaves air in the bottle.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:51 PM
zzprop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i also store my GG upright squeeze all the air out put the cap on. I also put some vasaline on the threads.
it works great i also put mine in a container with a little rice in the container.

Search this Thread