Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

wheel pant help needed

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

wheel pant help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wheel pant help needed

So I dug the ole trusty GP supersportster 90 out of the corner, and I want to install the wheelpants after 17 years....go figure.
Anyhow, Im havin trouble figuring it out. I want them on firmly of course.
If I run the wire gear on the outside of the pant, the axle area is too short. If I run the wire down through the inside of the pant, I have no way to mount the pant and wheel.
The pant sides have been glassed together. I probly shoulda ran the wire through the inside, mounted it, then mounted the tire, then added the outside half of the pant.......hindsight.......

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
thanx
d
Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: wheel pant help needed

What if????????????? You ran the wire through the pant. Then soldered a metal strap to the gear wire. Then soldered a nut to each end of the strap. Then slid the pant back down and ran a screw through the pant from the back side. Into the nut you soldered on. You would need to add a little ply to the pant where the screw went through.
Or I may have a pair of wire gear for this plane that has not been cut down. If you're interested.

David
Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
bignasdy

sounds like a good idea buddy...I'll definatly try it.
The wire is too short cause I have thenin backwards for longer legs,..............keeps the prop outta the tall grass.
Thanx again!
d
Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

After I typed this AM. I remember one kit I had came with a bracket made for this. It was round with tabs. It was made to go on the outside of the pant with the axle going through the center and a screw hole on each side to go into the pant. I tried to find one in my shop to take a pic and struck out. This AM I had something invisioned to go up on the leg of the gear. This may be better down around the bend in the axle.

David
Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/super...120-manual.pdf

This is the manual for your SS 90. Go to page 36 and see how the pants are mounted.

George
Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 PM
bignasdy

thanx george buit thatsnot the problem.......The wire is too short cause I have them in backwards for longer legs,..............I have it figured out now..
thanx
d