Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Sealing Iron setting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hobbico Sealing Iron setting

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
pinnedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Sealing Iron setting

Covering iron questions
I’m using a Hobbico Custom Sealing Iron with a hot sock on MonoKote. I have been using the iron with the thermostat turn up to almost the maximum (there is no temperature readings on the thermostat dial). With the thermostat dial set around the ¾ point it seems the MonoKote appear to not be sticking well. However, with the thermostat set near the maximum I’m concerned that I may be over heating the MonoKote, there are a few spots where the film is distorted and the wrinkles will not come out.
At what thermostat dial setting are you using the Hobbico Custom Sealing Iron to achieve the proper temperature (I do not have a thermometer to check the iron temp)? Should the MonoKote be adhered to the wood mainly with the sealing iron and then shrunk with a heat gun? When tacking with the sealing iron do you attempt to stretch out the MonoKote or do you apply moderate pressure, seal all the edges then shrink the film with a heat gun?
Thanks,
Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobbico Sealing Iron setting

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726]howtocoverbyminnfyer[/link]

Minnflyer has put together an excellent article on covering. very detailed and it helped me a bunch on my second time.
As far as your temps, most covering adhesives work around 200 degress, since water boils at 212 if you sprikle a drop or 2 of water on your iron and it sizzles your to hot for tacking down.
The key to tacking your edges is not to try and use pressure to stick the covering. Take your time and let the iron heat do it. as far as applying pressure to strech the covering, yes a little but not much.
Minnfyers covering videos are great. Look at them and then if you need some more help,fell free to give a shout back.
Remeber to take your time as you can`t rush covering. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty good
Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has preferences on covering. Personally, I much prefer Ultracote to Monokote. I prefer the Ultracote because I do not have to heat the covering to almost melting to get it to shrink properly, ALL the colors shrink the same, I can use a lower temperature for shrinking, Ultracote does wingtips SUBSTANTIALLY easier than Monokote and the Ultracote paints actually match the covering in color.

In any case, get yourself a Coverite thermometer and a Sharpie. Adjust the iron for the temps you need, then draw a line from the dial marker and write the temp down. I have several lines and temps marked on my Tower iron. Depending on the covering I am using, I know where to set the iron for tacking and for shrinking.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a thermometer.....

I know a top builder/coverer sets his at 260 degrees.... thats what I've been using
then adjust as you go....
I use monokote (just learning.....)