Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Another way to hold those muffler extention pipes on

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Another way to hold those muffler extention pipes on

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another way to hold those muffler extention pipes on

One method I have used to hold the extentions on a totally in cowl application where I didn't want to notch the cowl for cowl removal was the use of a spring. A throttle return spring found at any autostore or hardware store has the long straight ends on them and are perfect for this application. I cut a piece of aluminum tubing with an i.d. to fit over the end of the muffler pipe, and is long enough to go outside of the cowl area. I attach the one end of the spring to the upper end of the muffler by drilling and tapping the muffler or a smal clamp around the header pipe.There are many possibilities for securing that end of the spring. Laying the sping along side of the muffler I cut the other end of the spring long enough to be reached through the cowl pipe opening with a pair of needle nose pliers. This end of the spring I bend a hook in it. Install the pipe extention, pull the spring down and hook it on the end of the extention. I use this method even if the cowls are notched for removal. That aluminum tubing polishes up real nice also.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Deadeye

Default RE: Another way to hold those muffler extention pipes on

Could you supply a picture of this? The idea sounds great, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes please I'm not visuallizing what you are saying.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 PM
DelRay

Ok, here's a few pics, like you said, a pic is worth a lot of words. I left the cowl on the 1/4 scale Cub and tried to get close enough to show the spring hook in the end of the extention pipe. The other pics with the cowl removed are of the 1/5 scale Cessna 182. The extention on the 182 exits so close to the edge of the cowl I went ahead and notched the edge of the cowl. I make longer header pipes with steel brake or fuel line and silver solder the stock fittings onto my new pipes. While I had the ends off I put the top spring attachment point over the pipe, just a small piece of aluminum with two holes in it, one hole about the size of the pipe the other for the spring to hook into. Cheap and dirty, but it works. Both of these applications are on four strokes, although the same technique could be used on a two stroke as well, just different methods of attachment for the top of the spring. A small width metal strap to go all the way around the muffler and held together with a small through-bolt could be used for the top end of the spring. I built a support bracket to help cut down the vibration on the 182 muffler, just some scrap aluminum .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	677727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61290.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	677728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63926.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	677729  
Old 05-05-2007, 01:41 AM
mintie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good idea....this is a common practise on some homebuilds,micolights and other full size. works fine. Sometimes the full size do have problems with the heat on the springs and they lose their tension. Models will be fine.....cheers