Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Laser Level to align wings and stab

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Laser Level to align wings and stab

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 PM
RCPtero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Level to align wings and stab

I was having difficulty trying to figure out how I was going to align the stab and wings on my Corsair. The gull wings make it a touch difficult to eyeball. Then I thought of the laser level I used for putting up chair railing. I set it up, made sure it was hitting the tip of each wing and running straight across the stab. Worked wonderfully!! Here's a photo of my setup.

--
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83528.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	686964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93339.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	686965  
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Laser Level to align wings and stab

G'day Mate,
Great idea, looks like it works extra well.
But you Really need a shed.
All modellers need a shed.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

That's a great idea! I want it! I want it! Right now! Gimmee! Gimmee! Gimmee! What kind is it? Where did you get it? How much did it cost? Huh? Huh? Huh?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:50 PM
RCPtero

I'm really glad I did it too. Before I did, I thought it looked pretty good. But once I got the laser up, I discovered the left stab tip was about a quarter inch high!

It's a Craftsman laser level I got from Sears a few years back. Here's a [link=http://www.epinions.com/content_129065324164]link[/link] to epinions review of it. I see a link to E-Bay that has one for $20. It looks like Sears has a newer one for about $35.

The HOA won't let me have a decent shed. I have a workshop in the garage. (Where I built that fancy workbench you see my plane setting on in the picture.) Unfortunately, my woodshop is currently in auto shop configuration as I'm rebuilding a '68 Mustang in there. (The wire frame up against the wall in the one photo is the rear seat without the cover.)

But then, since I got rid of the wife, the whole house is my shed!!

--
Tom
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 PM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Ha Ha, yeah I have had 14 years of blissful,---------------------------divorce, I spend a lot of time in my shed, have just come down to the house, I'm putting another Katana together, can't call it building, it's an ARF.
Should be ready to maiden it on Sunday, it's Saturday arvo here.
Enjoy that Corsair, when do you think it will be ready to fly?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM
RCPtero

I'm hoping to have it in the air next month. Although that might be a bit optomistic. Certainly by mid July though.

--
Tom
Old 05-19-2007, 12:21 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tessex,

I'm going to see if Home Depot or Menards has one because the only Sears is in a big Mall ad I hate Malls. How much extra was the tripod?

Gibbs
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM
RCPtero

No clue on the tripod. It's one I bought about 20 years ago for my camera. I suspect you can get one for about ten or twenty bucks.

As for the laser levels, they're fairly common nowadays. I suspect any decent hardware store will have them in the tools department.

--

Tom
Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Kaos Rulz

tessex

That's a wonderful idea. I will be trying that on my next build. Your wing vs tail feathers looks to be perfect. I'm not sure if your chair-rail is. Check it out at the corner.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NCIS

tessex,

I'm going to see if Home Depot or Menards has one because the only Sears is in a big Mall ad I hate Malls. How much extra was the tripod?

Gibbs
Gibbs......... I bought one at a Goodwill/Salvation Army store awhile back. Set me back a whopping $2.25 plus the governors cut (taxes). I was actually shopping for a new work radio and just happened to see it there. It was the best one out of 3 sitting there so I figured I had to have it.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!