Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

6V Battery Setup

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

6V Battery Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 AM
crash080

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6V Battery Setup

I'm wanting to put a 6V power system in my shotime 90 and need suggestions. All I've ever run are 4.8v NiCd and was looking for recommendations on a LiPo battery/regulator set up.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 05:31 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6V Battery Setup

This is just my personal opinion and others may disagree but I would avoid using Li-po's with a regulator. This is because the regulator becomes an additional potential failure point. In my view, the simplest solution is usually the best and most reliable solution. If you want 6v, just get a 6V Ni-cad or NiMH battery pack. It's also less expensive.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:47 PM
alan0899

G'day Crash,
As Chuck said, go with 6volt nicad or LOW internal impedence NiMh, or as I did, in my Katana, use 2, 4.8 volt nicads, 1, 1700Mah, the other is 1100Mah, just use 2 switches, & charge setups & plug the second one into a spare slot in the RX, it gives you redundency.
Works a treat, & you have 2 separate current paths, through 2 separate switches, the weight is worth it. If you look carefully you can see the 2 switches, 1 has a red lead, & the test /charge/ bind socket.
See here. http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27290.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	693163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93115.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	693164  
Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've ever seen a plane crash due to a power failure, the dual battery and switch setup starts to look like a great idea.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:16 PM
alan0899

G'day Chuck,
That's how I lost my last Katana, battery was 3 years old, but tested fine, first flight of the day, just after take off, nuthin, down she went, I will never let that happen again.
I was lucky with this one, the 1700Mah pack is under the wing tube, in the fuselage, & now so is the 1100Mah pack, perfect balance.
And no worries with RX drop outs, due to low voltage.
I'm using a DX7.
But the other one had a PCM RX, & it stopped working too, aint it funny how RX's won't work if ya don't feed em right.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
flyierjon

hey crash080 I use 2 2500 mah 6v NiMh for any of my planes .90 size and up with 2 switches... no regulator needed just run one battery and switch into the battery port on the reciever and one battery and switch into a spare aux channel port. http://cgi.ebay.com/3-RC-6V-2500mAh-...QQcmdZViewItem look there for cheap ones that work great! I have used batteries like this for over 3 years now from ebay and have never had a problem with any of them $24.95 for 3 battery packs 6 volts with 2500mah. Hope this helps.... This info helped me a few years ago and I still love these batteries.!

Enjoy
Jon
Old 05-29-2007, 10:44 AM
crash080

Okay, you've convinced me on the redundant system on my larger planes and LiPo's are just to spooky due to the hazards. I have a couple for EP airplanes and just don't trust them due to the potential hazards. Now for the next question... can I use my NiCD charger to charge NiMH or do I have to by a new one(s)? I've seen quotted charge rates for NiMh from 10C to 1C. I have an older ACE RC muticharger and I believe that it operates at 10C but I have to verify.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

I use a wall wart charger to bring my NiMH batts up the first time. Just leave them on the charger for a sufficient period of time. After I cycle them the first time, I use my Ace Smart Charger and have them up in less than an hour. Verify the charging requirements with the Vendor when you buy them.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:41 AM
limbodancer

ORIGINAL: flyierjon

hey crash080 I use 2 2500 mah 6v NiMh for any of my planes .90 size and up with 2 switches... no regulator needed just run one battery and switch into the battery port on the reciever and one battery and switch into a spare aux channel port. http://cgi.ebay.com/3-RC-6V-2500mAh-...QQcmdZViewItem look there for cheap ones that work great! I have used batteries like this for over 3 years now from ebay and have never had a problem with any of them $24.95 for 3 battery packs 6 volts with 2500mah. Hope this helps.... This info helped me a few years ago and I still love these batteries.!

Enjoy
Jon

Do you turn both switches on when flying ?