Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Servo Setup on Elevator Halves

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Servo Setup on Elevator Halves

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Harleyflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Setup on Elevator Halves

I am getting ready to install a servo for each elevator half on my first gasser. I am using Hitec digital servos and I also have just got a Hitec programmer but have not used it yet. I am looking for the best way to set these up. Should I power them up to center the servos and then just put on the control horns or is there something else I should do? I assume I will have to reverse one of them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:53 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Servo Setup on Elevator Halves

Here's how I do it. First, use Hangar 9 titanium pro-links for your linkage. Next, check the center for each servo, be sure it's at 1500. Install & connect your servos to RX and link to elevators. Use the pro-links to equalize each elevator at dead neutral, and of course matching side to side. Next, with ATV or End Adjust set for maximum on your elevator channel(s), throw the sticks and see whether the two elevator halves are in sync at extreme up and extreme down. If they aren't equal, note which is more up, and which more down. Now use the programmer on the elevator with the more throw, and reduce it to where it's equal to the one with the lesser throw. Do this for both push and pull.

At this point, both halves should be in sync at neutral and at extreme throws. Now use ATV if to set your dual or triple rates, or whatever you're setting up. I try to connect my linkage so that maximum ATV will give me as much but no more than my high rate throws (taking the Goldsmith approach for maximum servo resolution).

BTW, I invested in a left-hand thread tap to re-thread the ball link on the wrong end of the pro-link. This makes it a lot easier than cross-threading the pro-link into the plastic--easier to install, easier to adjust. $13 from MSC Industrial Supply.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Harleyflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks for the detailed explanation! Appreciate your response!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Newc

Another way to handle dual elevators on larger planes is what I did on my 104" PBN Nomad - using one servo to control both halves as shown in the attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10316.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	708183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71131.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	708184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49086.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	708185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69748.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	708186  
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

my ultrasport 40 plus is setup using two control rods that are then linked in the end to one servo. the rods meet somewhere just before the servo and use something to bind them together then the one rod is longer by a short amount to finish connecting to the servo.