Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

remote glow plug connector

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

remote glow plug connector

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 AM
graggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote glow plug connector

Hi, I'm putting a remote glow plug connector in a great planes U-CAN-DO. Does anybody know of a fitting that holds on to the glow plug tightly? The ones ive tried keep falling off. What a pain in the %^&*( If anybody has a solution to this I would greatly appreciate it
Old 12-09-2008, 05:47 AM
The Ghost

Default RE: remote glow plug connector

All the ones that I have used have had a spring loaded conector in them that locks on the glow plug, can't remember the brands, one lot came with a Magnum 160 twin, the others I have had on different sized Satios and on a helli, never had one fall off.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2008, 05:51 AM
Ram Jet

Do you know what brand of glow plug connector you use? There's a somewhat pricey one at enya-engine.com.

Bill
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 AM
carrellh

I've seen posts here where people solder a wire onto an "E-clip" and snap it onto the glow plug.

http://www.mcmaster.com is one source. Look for 'retaining rings' in the fasteners section.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78167.gif
Views:	93
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1086566  
Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 AM
The Ghost

Had a quick look and came up with [link=http://www.venom-group.com/storeitems.asp?txtkey=VEN-1621]THIS[/link]

Cheers
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Ram Jet

Good idea. I've always referred to these as "spring clips" but I don't know what they are really called.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Ram Jet

Very slick and not too expensive. Hook that up to a Radio Shack pin jack/phono jack and mount the jack in the fuselage of the plane - bingo!

Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 AM
graggy

The one I'm using is a Kavan deluxe remote glow plug igniter. It was about $25.00 and it does have a spring that you pull back on the wire with a rubber boot on it. The engine I'm using is a OS 91 4-stroke surpass. The plug sits down in the head a little and the boot on this connector hits the cooling fins before the connector is on completly. I tried cutting off part of the boot but it still keeps falling off. Its a real pain to take the cowling off to put this connector on. I think I'll try the E-clip or spring clip and solder a wire to it. I just thought there would be some company out there that would of came up with a good reliable connector for this
Old 12-09-2008, 07:27 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

Do these work good?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBC35&P=ML
I'm considering buying one.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: FentonFlyer

Do these work good?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBC35&P=ML
I'm considering buying one.
I bought a twin version of that, chopped the glow driver connector off and used it for an on-board glow system on a Dual Ace. You've really got to make sure it's "bottomed out" on the glow plug before it'll turn and "clip on". It's held in place by the spring loaded centre connector and once I had one of them stick which allowed the whole connector to become loose. A quick poke with a bit of push-rod wire fixed it and it's behaved ever since. Other than that one time I've found them to be reliable, and have never had one fall off the plug.

Matt
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Try using a brass wheel collar. Sand the chrome plating off to get down to the brass itself. Then solder your wire to the collar. Slip the collar onto the glow plug, tighten the set screw and your good to go.
Paul
Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do what 42estus does, the only difference is that I put a small doughnut cut from a piece of silicon fuel tubing between the wheel collar and cylinder head to keep it from shorting out. Do make sure you get a brass wheel collar though, some are all aluminum and you can not solder to that.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
mkn8632

I use an automotive type electric pigtail. I am not sure exactly what the offical name is but check out your local autoparts store (napa, no autozone) with your glow plug in hand hand go at it. the connector comes shrink wraped so no shorting possible.

Thats just my two cents.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I have the Hanger 9 remote glow plug connector installed on several airplanes and I never had one come loose even in a crash.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
BountyHunter51

I have the H-9 versions on my Saitos and they've worked well. Due to the way that the plug is recessed in the head on OS and YS motors, the H-9 version won't reach.
The link that FentonFlyer posted would be a good choice.

Cheers!! BH
Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very happy with the quality and price of MPi product. You can buy the complete kit, or just the lead end. It has a nice rubber boot that fits snug, and the way the spring clip is designed it cannot be removed without pulling back on the wire. I go with just the lead end for 5 bucks, and rig the rest myself.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19608.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1087257  
Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the McDaniel and have never had a problem on my Saito's or Magnum's

http://sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php

JimO
Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 AM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

I've used small alligator clips (w/insulator!) from Radio shack with a small piece of fuel tubing (donut, as above) to insulate the clip from the head and lately, because I've gotten a bit lazy I have been using the DuBro Remote Safety Ignitor (#793) [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD693&P=7]Tower Hobbies Link[/link]. I like the look of that MPI connector though ... I'll have to check into that!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
PiccoLino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use brass wheel collars. It is inexpensive and works just fine. I have never had a loose plug contact so far with this technique. The only tip that I would add to what 42etus said, is to place a small O-ring on the plug pin before installing the wheel collar so that it cannot touch the plug body thus it avoids an accidental short circuit.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I have tried several differnt types over the years, the best ones I found are made by 'OS' Engines; sold on Tower Hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBZ91&P=SM
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Bill Teller

I could not make the clip work that came with mine copied this from a frend::: take a small crimp on wire terminal & solder it
to a 1/8 wheel collar crimp the hot wire into the lug, that will hold the wire need to put a plastic washer between the wheel collar & the top of the plug for insulation.. if u can't get it tight put an allen head bolt in the collar & put the pliers to it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
smh20502

Having a problem getting my engine to pop...OS FX 91, There could be several problems for this I know. One thing I noticed is that there is a difference in temperature between just connecting the igniter directly to the plug and when using the remote setup (Du-Bro). Spring is in place on the plug, ground wire is connected to a engine mounting bolt and it appears that it's just not getting hot enough. Any thoughts that may help.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
The Bluehead

I had the same problem on my OS 91 4S. I got the MPI driver, and the boot would not fit down on the plug in the recessed head. It kept popping off. I used a Sullivan remote plug set up wired to the MPI driver, and problem was solved. It kinda looks like the Model Products in one of the posts above. One note, it is a bugger to get on or off. Once it is on, it is on, so the occasional plug change will turn into curse-fest.

Will
Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Nathan_L

Always used cheap dubro ones for years in cowled engines and never had it fall off. Just bend the wire till you have to spring it back to clip on the glow plug and it won't fall off. Never had a problem with it. Shrug. Used them all the time on OS 1.60's.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM
smh20502

Looks like the resistance across the engine from the mounting bolt is too great....maybe I need a different plug if I'm going with a remote setup....don't know.

I have another driver that doesn't have the battery attached (made for a flight box), alleviating the problem of the driver falling off. Going to the field tomorrow...maybe I can get the problem resolved there. If not may just need to pull the engine and put it on a test stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.